• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism as a philosophy, is beneficial to the theist!

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
In my studies from undergraduate school from studying Peter Abelard to Al-Ghazali, to Averroes (Ibn Rushd) to Ikhwan Al-Safa all the way to David Hume I found it essential that the philosophical principles of atheism which is secular humanism, is essential to expanding one's mind from the greater environment to the whole of it. In mentioning David Hume although his writings weren't wholly atheist, his focus was merely on the skepticism of religion. I personally think we should continually challenge ourselves in our beliefs whether they're theistic or non-theistic and it is very important to be private investigators of the greater world so we can expand our understanding of it. I think too often many theists especially monotheists get too far right or left within scripture and become blinded by scripture as opposed to critical thinking about the natural world.

I always make it a point especially religionists who conflate social problems as some sort of aforementioned theistic eschatological event, that its necessary to not delve in the scripture to interpret every minute and great thing and to just come into the realization that we are mere observers (and sometimes players) of events. Sometimes theists forget the world acts independent from us, and that every observable and quantifiable thing is not always spiritually determined, but an action....

What say other theists do you find secularism beneficial to you, if so why and if not why not?

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
the philosophical principles of atheism which is secular humanism

Oh dear, I don't like to have disagreement with you from the get go, as you're one of my RF favorites. Still, I feel I must mention that the philosophical principles of secular humanism are only that.

Not all atheists are humanists. Many of them are nihilist, and since atheism only means lack of belief in deities- presumably atheism is inherently nihilistic.

I think it's a misapplication of atheist and humanist to say 'the philosophical principles of atheism is secular humanism'.

Many anti-theists especially are philosophical illiterates and/or don't really care about it.

David T

Premium Member
In my studies from undergraduate school from studying Peter Abelard to Al-Ghazali, to Averroes (Ibn Rushd) to Ikhwan Al-Safa all the way to David Hume I found it essential that the philosophical principles of atheism which is secular humanism, is essential to expanding one's mind from the greater environment to the whole of it. In mentioning David Hume although his writings weren't wholly atheist, his focus was merely on the skepticism of religion. I personally think we should continually challenge ourselves in our beliefs whether they're theistic or non-theistic and it is very important to be private investigators of the greater world so we can expand our understanding of it. I think too often many theists especially monotheists get too far right or left within scripture and become blinded by scripture as opposed to critical thinking about the natural world.

I always make it a point especially religionists who conflate social problems as some sort of aforementioned theistic eschatological event, that its necessary to not delve in the scripture to interpret every minute and great thing and to just come into the realization that we are mere observers (and sometimes players) of events. Sometimes theists forget the world acts independent from us, and that every observable and quantifiable thing is not always spiritually determined, but an action....

What say other theists do you find secularism beneficial to you, if so why and if not why not?
Atheism actually only exists in context to religion It's not really a philosophy outside religion. It's like imagine that all belief in God disappears. Well then to say "I don't believe in God" would sound nuts it wouldnt register for people. I think the real question why doesnt "i believe in god" sound completely crazy? Its a relative easy answer actually.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Atheism is simply a lack of belief in gods. It's not a philosophy, though many of them like scientism.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh dear, I don't like to have disagreement with you from the get go, as you're one of my RF favorites. Still, I feel I must mention that the philosophical principles of secular humanism are only that.

Not all atheists are humanists. Many of them are nihilist, and since atheism only means lack of belief in deities- presumably atheism is inherently nihilistic.

I think it's a misapplication of atheist and humanist to say 'the philosophical principles of atheism is secular humanism'.

Many anti-theists especially are philosophical illiterates and/or don't really care about it.

I'd put it slightly differently. Atheism certainly isn't inherently nihilistic, and I wouldn't say 'many anti-theists are philosophical illiterates' either.
But if your point was that atheism isn't a philosophy and that atheists could have one of many philosophies, or be completely uninterested in philosophy, or have completely flawed/contradictory philosophical beliefs, then sure. I completely agree.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Atheism is simply a lack of belief in gods. It's not a philosophy, though many of them like scientism.

It makes me sad that you still say 'them' rather than 'us'.
But it makes me happy to see you posting.

Like some sort of weird emotional roller-coaster.

;)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I didn't suggest that it necessarily was. I only stated that I can't see how atheism by it's basic definition isn't inherently nihilistic.
That would only be true if, well, if it were true. Which it isn't.

Aren't you trying to add to the definition of atheist when you add morality in?

It is actually you who are attempting to add a moral consequence to atheism, though.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I don't think many say such a thing.

Many anti-theists especially are philosophical illiterates

Eh. :) As if.

and/or don't really care about it.

That, however, has something to it.

Theism as a collective matter to be discussed among different people is not something to be much cared about.

I suspect even that a doctrine will always lose some of its way when it makes such an attempt.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Aren't you trying to add to the definition of atheist when you add morality in?
I think you have to go back to what the definition of atheism is, as has already been said, it is a rejection of/lack of belief in all gods. Nothing else, in particular it says nothing about the person's moral compass.
I'm an atheist but I'm not a nihilist because I have morals.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I was a very out of the box atheist from the start and I despised the founding principles of humanism with a hatred that can only be described as religious. My theism is no different than my atheism which is pessimistic and strongly nihilistic in terms of societal progression. I strongly believe you are buffing atheism into something more concrete than what it actually is, which is not much.

Last edited:

HonestJoe

I didn't suggest that it necessarily was. I only stated that I can't see how atheism by it's basic definition isn't inherently nihilistic.
Atheism isn’t inherently anything other than a statement about non-belief in deities. It’s no more inherently nihilistic than not liking bananas or being able to play the bagpipes. That singular label alone tells you nothing about whether an individual has morals or not (and neither does the label “theist” by the way). There are countless individual labels which could be correctly applied to each and every one of us but the bigger questions of what we believe and who we are require much deeper and more complex consideration. If anything, simple labels are an unnecessary, even counter-productive, distraction to actually understanding a person.