• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism as a philosophy, is beneficial to the theist!

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
There is no "new atheist movement". That is a make-believe label with no meaning.

Some of us use that label to divide anti-theists/hard materialists from the philosophical atheists of both the 19th/20th centuries (and today obviously), and those in the ancient world- like the Cyrenians and Lokayatans. Atheism is not a new idea, as I'm sure some of our Christian friends might be surprised to learn.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
How about bare theism? What morals does it furnish?

It depends on type of theism. Theism has sub-categories because it can be widely different. Polytheism for example, is clearly different enough from monotheism to warrant it's own categorization.

My secular humanist framework has led to a life of love, friendship, satisfaction, and self-respect.

I am not disputing that about humanism. I have a great respect for humanism. It is probably the closest one could come to the pantheistic view of interconnection without the spiritual being involved.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Some of us use that label to divide anti-theists/hard materialists from the philosophical atheists of both the 19th/20th centuries (and today obviously), and those in the ancient world- like the Cyrenians and Lokayatans. Atheism is not a new idea, as I'm sure some of our Christian friends might be surprised to learn.
And that is a meaningless distinction. "New Atheism" is a misleading label that hints at non-existent distinctions.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Many of us atheists have very happy and full lives filled with love, exploration, families, etc.

Atheism is not the same as nihilism, nor is it necessarily 'empty'.

That said, I have seen a great many theists that live in fear that they mistakenly affronted their deity. Atheists have no such fear.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Many of us atheists have very happy and full lives filled with love, exploration, families, etc.

Atheism is not the same as nihilism, nor is it necessarily 'empty'.

That said, I have seen a great many theists that live in fear that they mistakenly affronted their deity. Atheists have no such fear.
And that realization is what killed the horror movie genre for me. The stories simply no longer worked in my world view so there was nothing to be afraid of which effectively robbed the movies of their desired impact. (Thinking here of the Exorcist, the Omen et al, or anything where a priest is the tonic for whatever problem arises.)