• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism and uncharitableness

idea

Question Everything
I thought this was an interesting article:
Atheism and uncharitableness - Conservapedia

It seems humanitarian efforts are spearheaded by believers.
(Please don’t list non-denominational charities, or government/UN organizations and call them “atheist charities” because they are not. If atheists do not provide all of the funding/volunteer hours/ etc. etc. for the organization, then it is not an atheist organization)

The moral laws “true” Christians live by are far superior to the laws of atheists. There is no reason for an atheist to love their enemy, no reason for an atheist to forgive, no reason for an atheist to see others as more than DNA/environment. The morality of true Christians not only deals with actions but with "thoughts" and "attitudes." It is a “higher-level” morality that requires spiritual help to fulfill. the differences in morality are evident in comparing who cares more/does more for humanity.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Again, try something other than Conservapedia, like maybe something with real facts and stuff.

idea

Question Everything
Who Gives and Who Doesn't?

Putting the Stereotypes to the Test

Who Gives and Who Doesn't? - ABC News
The Church Connection

Finally, the single biggest predictor of whether someone will be charitable is their religious participation.
Religious people are more likely to give to charity, and when they give, they give more money: four times as much. And Arthur Brooks told me that giving goes beyond their own religious organization:
"Actually, the truth is that they're giving to more than their churches," he says. "The religious Americans are more likely to give to every kind of cause and charity, including explicitly non-religious charities."

Amill

Apikoros
Name off the top 2 most charitable people and get back to me.

(I figure since you propose that atheists are worse people because a few of them killed a lot of people, that I can say that atheists are more charitable since the 2 largest donators are atheists:yes: Your logic is ftw!)

Last edited:

ragordon168

the reason believers are more likely to be involved in charity work is their sense on duty, that they 'have' to do this to be a good person, but how many of you walk straight past a beggar/ big issue seller without even a small apology?

to stereotype atheists into a bunch of uncharitable scrooges is a bit like saying all muslims are terrorists. they arent all ike that but because some are the rest 'must' be aswell.

some atheists arent charitable, but then some believers arent either so you cant really blame one but not the other.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
He i didn't know charity meant getting something back. Christians give, but as a result you have to give up that terrible pagan culture and accept their book. That aint charity, its blackmail.

gnomon

Religious believers need to give. It's the least they can do for filling up all the damn prisons, treating certain classes of human beings like garbage (the gays) and driving the world economy to ruin.

What else?

The majority of rapists, serial killers, murderers, thieves, white collar criminals, child molestors and all around annoying twits are religious believers. Especially once they get caught.

Is the generalization over yet. Yes. Now let's actually look at the amount of money being reaped by religious institutions that are very, very old and only recently got their hands slapped out of controlling the national money pit compared to very small networks of specifically atheists gathered together primarily to get the hell away from a pack of intolerant fools. Or more importantly, let's look at the definition of an atheist. Someone who doesn't believe in God.

Has it become routine to ask every person who donates or works with a secular charitable organization their religious affiliation or beliefs? No. Does the charitable work of at least one individual atheist, Bill Gates, count for anything. Monumentally. Mainly in that we really don't know who contributes more of their time based on whether or not they believe in God. To argue that Churches which have existed for centuries get the big win for being charitable is meaningless when generation after generation of children are indoctrinated into the cultural religious belief to the point that even liberal religious believers who possess essentially no faith still adhere to the idea that there is something out there and thus consider themselves religious. The default position in our society is religious. If idea really wants to make a point than she should show every religious belief and relative level of charitable work. Get down to brass tacks, as it were.

And how much charity is there when people do something because God told them to do it? Too bad atheists do not seem to be compelled to congregate and share their hubris. Even the Buddhists who are atheists do not engage in such wasteful displays of pride.

You want charity. Look at the overwhelming mass of atheists, agnostics and freethinkers in the sciences who have devoted their lives to fighting against religious tradition and dogma resulting in a more equitable view among human societies, longer lifespans and better living conditions. And they did it side by side with progressive religious believers who do not feel compelled or, apparently for idea, threatened by the idea of atheism.

You don't have to give pithy phrases on TV accompanied by an 800 number, wear silly costumes or walk around with a bucket to provide actual, charitable work.

To end. Once again good job on offending the many atheist Buddhists.

How much have you given lately, idea? And how much because you choose to despite your religion?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Believer Mother Teresa extolled the virtue of suffering and ran her well-financed missions accordingly: their sick patrons were offered plenty of prayer, but harsh conditions.
Atheist Bill Gates, in deciding what to do with his fortune determined that he could alleviate the most misery by fighting everyday scourges in the developing world like malaria, diarrhea and parasites.

Some very good secular charities are...
American Civil Liberties Union
American Red Cross
Amnesty International
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Doctors without Borders
DonorsChoose.org
Kiva.org
Oxfam International
The Nature Conservancy
PlanUSA
Rotary/Rotary International
The SEED foundation
S.H.A.R.E.
The Union of Concerned Scientists
United Nations Children's Fund (Unicef)
The United Way

Sententia

I thought this was an interesting article:
Atheism and uncharitableness - Conservapedia

It seems humanitarian efforts are spearheaded by believers.
(Please don’t list non-denominational charities, or government/UN organizations and call them “atheist charities” because they are not. If atheists do not provide all of the funding/volunteer hours/ etc. etc. for the organization, then it is not an atheist organization)

The moral laws “true” Christians live by are far superior to the laws of atheists. There is no reason for an atheist to love their enemy, no reason for an atheist to forgive, no reason for an atheist to see others as more than DNA/environment. The morality of true Christians not only deals with actions but with "thoughts" and "attitudes." It is a “higher-level” morality that requires spiritual help to fulfill. the differences in morality are evident in comparing who cares more/does more for humanity.

I don't think you know what conservapedia is... Baseless attacks... Morality is not derived from religion but if you are not killing people and instead helping people only because of your belief in the ramblings of Joe Smith then stay in church.

The anonymity of the internet just brings out the best in people eh? Classic religious inspired devotional hate. :thud:

Smoke

Done here.
There's a problem though: They say believers give more, and they give to charities besides their churches, but they don't break it down. Tell me how much believers give beyond their tithes and donations to their churches, and then compare that to the money atheists give to charity, and maybe we'll have an honest comparison.

In the meantime, it always makes me laugh the way some Christians are always so eager to defy the teachings of Jesus -- in this case by boasting about how much they give to charity.

It appears this so called Coservapedia quote was designed to provoke athiests. How judgemental. Clearly the creators of this propaganda have forgotton the words of their Lord and Savior. Jesus said, "Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto me."
"True" Christians, if they actually take the time to contemplate the words of Christ would recognize this Conservapedia quote for what it is. A pile of crap.
Idea, ask yourself. Would Jesus endorse such rubbish?

dogsgod

Meanwhile charitable Christians can reminisce about the good ol' days when atheists could be burned at the stake before this pesky separation of church and state came into effect. That learned atheists to be more charitable, eh idea. Oh to be back in the day.

Smoke

Done here.
It appears this so called Coservapedia quote was designed to provoke athiests. How judgemental. Clearly the creators of this propaganda have forgotton the words of their Lord and Savior. Jesus said, "Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto me."
Of course, if you're not a Christian, they don't think you're a "brother". Or even a "neighbor", as far as I can tell.

imaginaryme

Idea, you are such an instigator. Does your pastor know what you're up to? :p

Conservopedia... I mean, who needs comedy? First paragraph on atheism ends with... can you guess? The theory of evolution! No wai! God doesn't exist, that's not important; heaven, hell, Jesus... irrelevant... Atheism causes... belief in evolution!

Come on, now... can't these people at least try to disguise their agenda? I'm not asking for much, here; I just like a little suspense with my conspiracy-theory fiction.