• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At what point would you regret Trump?

Sultan Of Swing

@Quetzal is being a meanie pants and only letting the liberals talk about this, which I think would make for an interesting discussion.

For those who supported or voted for Trump, whether enthusiastically or holding your nose, at what point would you regret voting or supporting Trump?

What is the deal-breaker for you? Do you have a deal-breaker?

I never voted Trump, because I'm in Britain. So I have some excuse if it all goes pear-shaped haha. For me, my main reason from last year for preferring a Trump win over Clinton was always foreign policy. As a Brit that was really most of what I was concerned about. Trump's Secretary of State pick has been encouraging in terms of warmer relations with Russia, so it looks like he's serious about changing the neocon policies of the past few decades.

However if Trump decides to continue with reckless and idealistic foreign interventions to topple regimes, not being in the interest of his country, then that would have removed my initial and main reason for supporting him, and I will no longer be able to see why I should continue to do so.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
If he dropped his pants and turned out he was lying all along, big time, I mean small time!!

Acim

Revelation all the time
If he changed his position dramatically on abortion that would be deal breaker for me.
If he is unable to make much headway on regulations, particularly in one area (of concern to me), it wouldn't be deal breaker, but kinda would be if he signaled that he's done trying.
I appreciate his tone of being in vein of isolationist when it comes to war, but given that the last 2 POTUS were not this way, I think I could live with it if Trump reneged on this position.

There's a few items that might have me rethink how much I appreciate him being in office (especially given the alternative), but really only one currently that would rise to level of deal breaker, and even then, being that it is law of the land, it would just mean I couldn't vote for him again, but given the alternative, I'd probably still hope he wins out.

Personally, I'm used to liberals disparaging Pub office holders every chance they get. Par for the course really. I find it easy to mock or ignore such banter.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
@Quetzal is being a meanie pants and only letting the liberals talk about this, which I think would make for an interesting discussion.

For those who supported or voted for Trump, whether enthusiastically or holding your nose, at what point would you regret voting or supporting Trump?

What is the deal-breaker for you? Do you have a deal-breaker?

I never voted Trump, because I'm in Britain. So I have some excuse if it all goes pear-shaped haha. For me, my main reason from last year for preferring a Trump win over Clinton was always foreign policy. As a Brit that was really most of what I was concerned about. Trump's Secretary of State pick has been encouraging in terms of warmer relations with Russia, so it looks like he's serious about changing the neocon policies of the past few decades.

However if Trump decides to continue with reckless and idealistic foreign interventions to topple regimes, not being in the interest of his country, then that would have removed my initial and main reason for supporting him, and I will no longer be able to see why I should continue to do so.
No regrets possible.
No matter how bad the outcome, I played the odds as I saw'm.
And the alternative could've been pretty bad too.

Hope for the best.
Plan for the worst.
Deal with what happens.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Previous interactions with Trump supporters so far have been disappointing at best in regards to anything remotely close to politics. Hence my selective audience.
I still think starting a thread specifically about the beliefs of the posters forbidden to post is abuse of the forum.
Oh well, RF isn't my website.
Tom

If he changed his position dramatically on abortion that would be deal breaker for me.

What relevancy does Trump's view on abortion have? His view won't change anything.

I appreciate his tone of being in vein of isolationist when it comes to war

Yes, but there are many Republican devils/zionists sitting on his shoulder telling him to ignore the international nuclear deal with Iran and to maintain US middle-east aggression.

tytlyf

Not Religious
There is no wrong doing Trump can do to his supporters. They don't care if he lied about everything he promised.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Supreme Court
Middle East/Refugees
Illegal immigration
Free Trade

If he goes back/messes up on three of the four would make me regret voting for a republican for the first time. One of the four getting done right would be better than none of them though.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Supreme Court
Middle East/Refugees
Illegal immigration
Free Trade
What do you mean specifically by each of these?

-Supreme court? You mean if he elects a liberal like himself?
-Middle East? Are you talking about stopping syrian refugees into America? Ya, he won't stop that.
-Illegal immigration? He's not building a wall. The borders are already secure.
-Free Trade? He's not stopping NAFTA or anything else.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Supreme Court
Middle East/Refugees
Illegal immigration
Free Trade

If he goes back/messes up on three of the four would make me regret voting for a republican for the first time. One of the four getting done right would be better than none of them though.
He's already backed down on immigration; free trade he may back down on because he won't gain congressional support; it's hard telling with the Supreme Court because he may be against a coalition of Libertarians and Democrats to preserve the rights that a Conservative judge--especially with Pence helping to pick one--will threaten.

Acim

Revelation all the time
What relevancy does Trump's view on abortion have? His view won't change anything.

It could in terms of supreme court stuff and new cases being brought to that court. Plus, OP was looking for what it would take, and that's about the only thing I can think of where he could flip flop and I'd be off board with him. Not completely off board (still way better than any Dem) but enough that I wouldn't vote for him, and yet still would enjoy watching him win in 2020.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you mean specifically by each of these?
If he nominates an illiberal leftist to the bench instead of someone that will preserve our constitutional freedoms. We require strict interpretation in defense of the individual and states' rights.
If he continues Obama's policy of funding and arming ISIS and other rebels to topple the government of Syria. Also, fails to implement extreme vetting.
Secure funding for the already existing physical border barrier law on the books and get it done. Enhanced support for ICE and penalties for any body that wants to declare itself a sanctuary for the criminal immigrant element.
Renegotiated terms of trade deals to stop the destruction of workers' ability to negotiate with employers.

The two most base needs of human existence are the ability to provide food and shelter and physical security, and the two biggest disruptions of those needs that are not being addressed or are actively being exacerbated by the government are the bipartisan effort to destroy wages via immigration and free trade and Islamic terrorism respectively.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
If he nominates an illiberal leftist to the bench instead of someone that will preserve our constitutional freedoms.
This presumes that the left is not interested in preserving constitutional freedoms, which is not true.

If he continues Obama's policy of funding and arming ISIS
This suggests that Obama is directly and intentionally doing this, which is also not true.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
This presumes that the left is not interested in preserving constitutional freedoms, which is not true.
I'm going by relatively recent historical precedent. I did also add the descriptor "illiberal" to leftist. There are leftists who do like our freedoms even when and if they don't like the outcomes thereof.

This suggests that Obama is directly and intentionally doing this, which is also not true.
Your suggestion is also not true.