• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask YmirGF whatever you want...

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Ok then, how is the colloquial "light at the end of the tunnel", different from what mystics refer to as enlightenment?
You have me at a disadvantage as I am currently moving away from the notion of enlightenment. I haven't decided what I am going to replace the concept with as of yet, but enlightenment, as it is generally conceived, in my opinion, does not really exist. I have begun to term enlightenment as the "final illusion"... but I don't mean that literally... I mean it more metaphorically.

Ozzie

You have me at a disadvantage as I am currently moving away from the notion of enlightenment. I haven't decided what I am going to replace the concept with as of yet, but enlightenment, as it is generally conceived, in my opinion, does not really exist. I have begun to term enlightenment as the "final illusion"... but I don't mean that literally... I mean it more metaphorically.
Sorry YnirGF, I edited my post before to read your response. Can you offer anything on the more specific comparison contained in the edit?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
There are probably many different degrees of "light at the end of the tunnel", so lets take the perspective of a carer for someone undergoing longterm chemotherapy for cancer, and compare it with someone seeking enlightenment through meditation.
A caregiver vs. someone seeking meditational enlightenment?

regulo

Learner
How much of what you know is true and how much is what you believe?

(I used to ask that question and got shouted at a lot :D)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
How much of what you know is true and how much is what you believe?

(I used to ask that question and got shouted at a lot :D)
As I have said on countless occasions, I don't pretend to be right. That being said, I believe that truth is relative, so I don't fret much over it.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hi, I'm from Grand Forks. Are you from Ymir BC ? dan b
No, but a very dear friend owns 40 acres in Ymir, B.C. :cool:

I am was born and raised in Vancouver.

vancouver.jpg

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Looks like Wellington with more snow, less trees and sea vessels. Nice :)
I understand that Wellington is a gorgeous place. It would be nice to "come down there" and visit for a spell. There are few places on this small planet I really want to see before I croak and your country is one. As far as the trees go, B.C. has huge forested areas, but alas, man has made short work of them in the settled areas and the pine beetles have made short work of the unpopulated areas. Add to this the punitive lumber restrictions of the American softwood lobby and our forest sector is in pretty sad shape right now... with no end in sight due to the housing crunch in the US of A.

As a point of interest, that pretty green peninsula thingy in the middle (or so) of the picture is a 1000 acre park, called Stanley Park and it is a great place to run/walk around the seawall the encircles it. There are also two or three beaches for those brave enough to plunge into the rather cool waters.

Where have you lived over the years?
I lived in Vancouver for over 5 decades. When you live in paradise, it doesn't occur to one to want to live anywhere else. ;)

I am currently living on a island about 70 miles from Vancouver and am honing my skills at befriending the local deer population. My goal is to pet one of the little critters and other than one baby I got to hold in my arms for a few minutes, the closest a wary adult has come to me is 1/2 inch. :) (Then it bounded back several feet.) Normally, they come out of the bushes to feast on the goodies I have for them. Currently, they are getting nice raw potatoes (sliced thin) whereas in the late fall we had a bumper crop of apples to shower them with. During feeding time, I get between 3 and 8 deer milling about within 10 feet or so... so it is pretty awesome... and yes, I do realize how lucky I am.

Last edited: