• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask YmirGF whatever you want...

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well several others have done it and I thought I would see where this led. I have noted that my frubals tend to "go off the charts" when I have written either humorous or advice pieces and tend to fall flat when I am breaking new ground or talking about Islam.

I think it safe to assume that I am definitely a "fringer" here on RF as I do not fit any predefined mold. The only way to describe my inner adventures is to say that I follow the mystical path of direct experience and that path is open to all who seek it. That path follows Buddhism and Shamanism mainly with nice naturalist and pagan twists tossed in for good measure.

I do not follow so-called "revealed" thinking outside of what the individual can "reveal" to themselves. My game can be defined in one word, perception. It is the best game in town and one that anyone can be a part of.

So, if you have any questions, of any kind, for this old coot, feel free and "let her rip". Let's try to keep the questions somewhat reasonable, but other than that there are no quidelines on what can be asked.

*Release the hounds*

robtex

Veteran Member
Do you precieve their to be an afterlife and if so what is it like. Do you believe you will you be able to communicate with those that have passed away ?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
robtex said:
Do you precieve their to be an afterlife and if so what is it like. Do you believe you will you be able to communicate with those that have passed away ?

Hiya Robtex,

Yes, I do perceive an afterlife. As far as what it is like? Hmmm.

Though others have tried I am smart enough to realize that NO ONE can actually describe it, as there are no words to describe such non-physical realities. Part of the problem resides in language itself and part of the problem is defining new concepts that have no physical counterpart. It is sort of like describing Apple technology from the viewpoint of the orange. You can learn to observe however, even if you can never really tell what it is you are observing. I can tell you it isn't like anything you can imagine, although I do recognize that indeed I could be imagining it all. I certainly do not have a stranglehold on the "correct" answer.

Will we be able to communicate? That would be a jolly 10-4 although one does have to reign in ones imagination from time to time. This "communication" is not as you might think, but is more in the form of intuition rather than "revelation". The thing is to learn which are the hunches and which is the drivel. Ok, so I am not promising you a rose garden, lol.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Where did YmirGF go? I missed him. :D

Oh and what do you think of the LDS faith...although, I'm pretty sure I know the answer.:)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
beckysoup61 said:
Where did YmirGF go? I missed him. :D

Oh and what do you think of the LDS faith...although, I'm pretty sure I know the answer.:)
Where did I go?

1. I have had to deal with my dad's "death" and deal with others views about death.
2. I have a new computer and have been busy setting it up just spiffy. I am testing burning DVD's as well and that is a lot of fun... BUT SLOW... Plus I am analysing my loss of MP3's due to a Raid failure. Long story short, never use a RAID configuration and I have a lot more MP3's than I realized. (7.6GB give or take).
3. The level of discussions on RF is not up to my standards currently. Odd topics or boring commentary with no fresh thinking. Sad, but true.
4. IT'S SUMMER!!!!!!!! (Even I have a life and the first signs of a tan LOL).

As to what I think of the LDS faith? Hmmm. I liked it more when I knew less about it. Katherine, yourself and others have outlined things pretty clearly. There is a satisfaction level in LDS that I do not detect with other groups as clearly. I greatly admire the concept of celestial "friends and family" as it is subject that is very close to my heart.

*Goes back to checking software installations and doing updates and endless scans...*

I have settled on a couple of new packages though for the computer.

Anti-Virus: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0
Anti-spam/spy: Spybot 1.3, Ad-Aware 6.0..., Webroot SpySweeper
Firewall: Windows xp pro and Kaspersky

(Put those together and you have a system locked up tighter than a drum... although it is a bit tedious at first granting authorizations for access.) (Edit: I just wish there was a "Heck, I don't know. You are the computer!" button on some things you get asked about.)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
How has the Tibetan Book of the Dead impacted your views?

Have you ever attended - or do you wish to attend - one of the Dalai Lama's lectures?

How has the Dalai Lama contributed to the benefit for mankind in your opinion?

How important do you consider rituals or rites in your beliefs?

Did you know that you're one of my favorite posters here? :)

Peace,
Mystic

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
PureX said:
Why didn't you just buy a mac? You could have avoided all that grief. *smile*
I figure it appeals to my masochistic streak. It's not all that bad when you are used to IBM Compatibles, I just pity folks who are getting into them now as there is so much to know about getting the most out of the box LOL. Now that Apple is using Intel Chips the virus writers won't have to learn another architecture to code to attack Macs. That long free ride may be over for Apple.

Smoke

Done here.
What forms of Buddhism have influenced you? Are there any Buddhist teachers or writers whom you particularly like or admire?

Other than Vancouver, what's your favorite city?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
MysticSang'ha said:
How has the Tibetan Book of the Dead impacted your views?
It is difficult to say how great the impact of the Bardo Thodol has had on this lump of flesh. When I first read it ... 32 years ago now... it was just what the doctor ordered. I don't think I will ever forget the first descriptions of the Dharma Kaya, as those descriptions matched my experience perfectly. Not to mention Og Min. (I tend to rename the "My Computer" icon to "Og min", to this day.

Om mani padme hum also made a huge impact on me. It is a bit different repeating the phrase/chant when one understands their meaning and intent. I figure I am a reincarnated Tibetan monk of some kind... and yes, I am serious, LOL. Needless to say that Tibet is not a real nice place to be these days so it is not a huge surprise to take a birth outside that geographical region. And yes, I believe in reincarnation, just not in a standard LINEAR version of reincarnation. Non-linear Reincarnation perhaps?

MysticSang'ha said:
Have you ever attended - or do you wish to attend - one of the Dalai Lama's lectures?
No. Yes. I loved his televised speech from Colorado not so long ago. It was thrilling, however a subsequent appearance on Larry King made the Dalai Lama seem confused and doddering. Not quite ready for prime time. It was the Dalai Lama who reminded me (not persoanlly LOL) that one can never have too much compassion and that if we all lived our lives with more compassion we would spend a lot less energy on grief and relief.

MysticSang'ha said:
How has the Dalai Lama contributed to the benefit for mankind in your opinion?
By example. By not being too full of himself, as is so common nowadays. By leading a simple, uncomplicated life. By his laughter and his charm.

MysticSang'ha said:
How important do you consider rituals or rites in your beliefs?
Although I consciously eschew dogmatic or ritual practices I do note that I tend to be a creature of habit. There is a connection I perceive. Technically, I am strictly a "eyes slammed shut" internalist (meditator) and pay no heed to external triggers.

MysticSang'ha said:
Did you know that you're one of my favorite posters here? :)
You are too kind Heather. Well, in my own defense, I do try to be both logical and different. I see the world much differently than my fellow man and have been blessed with the ability to actually describe what I see. Where I get lost a bit is resolving what I see with the reality that others think exists.

It's a dirty job.... but someone really needs to get at the heaving lifting!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
evearael said:
Why the reference to the Piltdown forgery in your profile?
It is a bit of an inside joke.

1. Piltdown man was an archaological hoax. It didn't exist... or was not real.

2. The title is "Religion", so it seemed to be a natural way of saying religion itself is a hoax. (At best, they are pulling our collective legs.)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
MidnightBlue said:
What forms of Buddhism have influenced you? Are there any Buddhist teachers or writers whom you particularly like or admire?

Curiously No, other than Buddha. I must have been inspired by some of the Tibetan dudes but I would have to think of what their names are for a bit. It HAS been a few decades. I was always more interested in what Buddha said rather than what others think he was talking about.

MidnightBlue said:
Other than Vancouver, what's your favorite city?
Now... that is a toughie. Certainly nowhere else I would rather live. I do rather like Santa Barbara and San Francisco though. San Diego is also quite nice.

Smoke

Done here.
Are you worried by Pat Robertson's revealing that God told him a tsunami might hit the West Coast this year? Do you think God is being inexcusably coy about it?

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
How do you prefer your asparagus cooked? Do you favor sauces, or do you savor it on its own?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
MidnightBlue said:
Are you worried by Pat Robertson's revealing that God told him a tsunami might hit the West Coast this year? Do you think God is being inexcusably coy about it?
I never listen to Pat Robertson. I don't think God is being coy about anything lol, although he does have a delicious sense of humour.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
BrandonE said:
How do you prefer your asparagus cooked? Do you favor sauces, or do you savor it on its own?
Asparagus. Prolly my favorite veggie.

If the facts are to be known, I either steam the little spears or lightly sautee them in butter. I prefer the natural taste and am not a fan of goopy sauces, however nice they me be.

Heck, it is almost the perfect vegatable... other than perhaps....

Zsr1973

Alright. At the beginning of the bible it says "in the beginning God created..". In the beginning would suggest that the beginning had already begun when he started his creating. Like "In the summer" would suggest that something took place after summer had begun. So at what stage of the "beginning" did God begin creating and who started the original creation?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
YmirGF said:
As to what I think of the LDS faith? Hmmm. I liked it more when I knew less about it.
Well, that certainly wasn't our intention!:D Sounds to me as if we ought to just shut up, lest we did ourselves into an even deeper hole!

So, excuse my naivity, but what exactly do you mean by "Piltdown Man"? Is it essentially synonymous with "Happy Fool"? And do you consider yourself to be a generally happy person? If you could change one thing about your character, what would it be? If you could change one thing about your physical appearance, what would it be?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Katzpur said:
Well, that certainly wasn't our intention!:D Sounds to me as if we ought to just shut up, lest we did ourselves into an even deeper hole!

Well Kat don't take it too personally. I am not much of a theological enthusiast but more of a hands on kind of guy. I like the Mormom "way of life" for lack of a better expression and am less impressed with the "fine print" of the dogma.

Katzpur said:
So, excuse my naivity, but what exactly do you mean by "Piltdown Man"? Is it essentially synonymous with "Happy Fool"?

See Post #12 for a fuller description of Piltdown man. And yes, it does connect well with happy fool. "Happy fool" is meant as a reminder that we are all fools at some time or other and that we should be happy that those times are few.

Katzpur said:
And do you consider yourself to be a generally happy person? If you could change one thing about your character, what would it be? If you could change one thing about your physical appearance, what would it be?

Happy? That is putting it mildly. People around me often tell me to shut up or "settle down". One of my favorite pastimes is to wind up small children and send them innocently back to their parents. Their parent appreciate the effort I am sure.
For me, happiness is like a residual effect of being conscious of what it is that I am. It is sort of like an endless inner source of amusement.

Gotta run... dinner calleth...