• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask PW about her faith

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Tell me more.
Well, medicine is usually very private... which is why it's hard to give a complete definition of. ;)

Do the personal spirits have a word, or are they just "spirits?"
I'm sure they do and that it varies from Nation to Nation... but I'm lacking in the linguistics department. Totem is a Nation specific term and thus has a Nation specific definition.
I've done my learning in English, though I'm trying to learn some Cherokee. (it has been a secular education)

wa:do

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well, medicine is usually very private... which is why it's hard to give a complete definition of. ;)

I'm sure they do and that it varies from Nation to Nation... but I'm lacking in the linguistics department. Totem is a Nation specific term and thus has a Nation specific definition.
I've done my learning in English, though I'm trying to learn some Cherokee. (it has been a secular education)

Ah, well. Thanks for your answers, and I may be back with more questions. :)

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I have not... Someday I hope to be lucky enough to be invited to one... but it is a powerful ceremony and not something I would seek out on a whim. It requires a lot of trust on all sides. (and can be deadly if done wrong)

Thanks for the answer,i will be back with some more :)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I look forward to them. :D

Storm... I feel I should add some more about medicine... Medicine is kept private as it is something that can be lost. You do not own your medicine, it is a gift and if you do something that disrespects that gift, it can be taken back. Gifts after all are to be treated with respect and are a sign of respect by the giver... nothing is owned by the individual but is held in trust until someone new requires it. Some people however don't want to earn what they want and will steal. Most elders feel the same way about medicine. Which is why it is kept private. (a lesson I learned the hard way already)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well, perhaps you can answer this much.

I define "magic" as "the art of using consciousness to shape reality." Would medicine include that?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
How do you feel about other gods? Do you feel that they are emminations of the Creator? (Which is how I view it) Do you feel they are lesser spirit beings? I'm curious. Also, can a person practice Native American beliefs together with other religions or philosophies?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Well, perhaps you can answer this much.

I define "magic" as "the art of using consciousness to shape reality." Would medicine include that?
No, its not my place to change reality. I can only change myself.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
How do you feel about other gods? Do you feel that they are emminations of the Creator? (Which is how I view it) Do you feel they are lesser spirit beings? I'm curious. Also, can a person practice Native American beliefs together with other religions or philosophies?
There are many paths to the top of the mountain... and some prefer shoes to moccasins, or nothing at all.
I simply see other faiths as other paths, each of us wears what is comfortable.

I know people who try... but you loose something from both. (and often you give up more than you gain)

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
all spiritual experience is personal.

I undertand this, because we have this in common. All of my spiritual experience is sought to be personal as well, and self-validated. One of my focuses in my studies has been finding and understanding the different tools and techniques used for personal self-validation by the different paths. If you are able to speak of any of your tools and techniques by which you come to know, I would absolutely love to hear of them. If you cannot say I understand.

I couldn't help but wonder if any techniques or concepts are similar to the shamanic techniques and concepts with soul/otherworld/journeying and soul retrieval.

My martial arts teacher is cherokee as well. He incorporates some of their ways into his spirituality, and I think into some of what he taught us with the chi/spirituality techniques.

Danmac

1) You speak of a path. Where does this path lead? What is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?

2) How do you know that there is a path?

3) You talked about selfishness as being counterproductive to nature, and selflessness as being beneficial to ones karma so to speak. Since evolution is a selfish process. Survival of the fittest. Wouldn't evolution therefore be counterproductive to nature?

4) You say there are many paths to the top of the mountain. Is Jesus one of them?

5) When you say creator, what did he, she, it create?

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
No, its not my place to change reality. I can only change myself.

I was going to comment on that. Being lhp I guess you know that shaping reality is a big part. When you said that manipulating that outside is somethin somethin to being thankful and balanced, it finally clicked. Mr. Cheese was talking about that in another thread and I wasn't putting two and two together.

I have great respect for that.

But one question.... a lot of the "magic" I have read of, not all but a lot, supposedly manifests due to changes made within oneself which affect that outside oneself.

Do you see a sort of "magic" in the evolution you bring forth in yourself manifesting externally, ever?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I undertand this, because we have this in common. All of my spiritual experience is sought to be personal as well, and self-validated. One of my focuses in my studies has been finding and understanding the different tools and techniques used for personal self-validation by the different paths. If you are able to speak of any of your tools and techniques by which you come to know, I would absolutely love to hear of them. If you cannot say I understand.
There are several methods... many include denying the self. Fasting, prayer, dancing and cleansing. The details I don't have the authority to go into.

I couldn't help but wonder if any techniques or concepts are similar to the shamanic techniques and concepts with soul/otherworld/journeying and soul retrieval.
There are many aspects of traditional faiths that are shared. As I've said, I'm not an elder and so there are many aspects I am unable/unprepared to explore.

My martial arts teacher is cherokee as well. He incorporates some of their ways into his spirituality, and I think into some of what he taught us with the chi/spirituality techniques.
Of all the worlds "organized" faiths the Eastern ones are closest IMHO to First Nations philosophy. We share a lot in common.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
1) You speak of a path. Where does this path lead? What is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?
Creator is at the end of the path... beyond that I can't say as I haven't been there.

2) How do you know that there is a path?
How does anyone know there is a path? Even the bible speaks of a path, though a narrow one.

3) You talked about selfishness as being counterproductive to nature, and selflessness as being beneficial to ones karma so to speak. Since evolution is a selfish process. Survival of the fittest. Wouldn't evolution therefore be counterproductive to nature?
You misunderstand survival of the fittest. Group selection favors the "nice" over the selfish. Being human is more than biology.

4) You say there are many paths to the top of the mountain. Is Jesus one of them?
Absolutely... Christianity simply isn't the right path for me. Jesus had a message from Creator for the people of his time and place.

5) When you say creator, what did he, she, it create?
Everything...

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
But one question.... a lot of the "magic" I have read of, not all but a lot, supposedly manifests due to changes made within oneself which affect that outside oneself.

Do you see a sort of "magic" in the evolution you bring forth in yourself manifesting externally, ever?
I suppose it depends on how you define magic... ? But I don't see a lot of external change in myself.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I suppose it depends on how you define magic... ? But I don't see a lot of external change in myself.

Lol. Touche'

I see your point.

I don't think magic has any sort of concrete definition. It is very pliable. What I was basically referring to was, how our demeanor and actions affect our environment and surroundings. Some magic, I'm pretty sure, focuses on gaining complete control over the internal workings that affect our environment.

I think that when someone follows any path that puts a focus on eternal spiritual and self growth with no concept of perfection, you can't help but see and feel magical happenings around you, in that fluffy sort of way sometimes. :p That's why I was asking. :D

In regards to magic, my favorite quote is that, "will is not will-power." Don't ask, lol, that's why I like the quote.

Peace

Last edited:

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I used to have an Ottawa nation book of stories and poetry. These stories spoke of prophets of the Creator who could do things like turn people into animals. Does your tribe have such stories?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
don't think magic has any sort of concrete definition. It is very pliable.
Today it is in Western Culture... but for most traditional First Nations cultures it has a specific definition. :cool:

Not that I am against others who say they practice it. They walk a different path than I.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I used to have an Ottawa nation book of stories and poetry. These stories spoke of prophets of the Creator who could do things like turn people into animals. Does your tribe have such stories?
I don't know any, but doesn't mean they don't exist. There are a lot of stories about people turning into plants or animals. Selu, turned herself into corn so that her family would not starve and Bears are said to be descended from a Cherokee clan who preferred to live closer to wild.

Danmac

PW do you believe in an objective moral standard? In other words, does creator have a standard that he desires for his creation to follow?

If creator has a standard, do you think there are consequences for no adhering to them?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
PW do you believe in an objective moral standard? In other words, does creator have a standard that he desires for his creation to follow?
Yes, and if you look to the core of every faith you see it... we only differ on details.

If creator has a standard, do you think there are consequences for no adhering to them?
There is no "Hell concept" in my faith if that is what you are wondering. You get what you gave. Some Nations have a 'reincarnation' concept where you keep trying until you get it right, others have an afterlife like this life but reflecting the lessons you learned and still need to learn. For example, if you were greedy... you be in need and have to rely on the charity of others.