• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask PW about her faith

Danmac

Quote:
4) You say there are many paths to the top of the mountain. Is Jesus one of them?
Absolutely... Christianity simply isn't the right path for me. Jesus had a message from Creator for the people of his time and place.
PW do you believe in an objective moral standard? In other words, does creator have a standard that he desires for his creation to follow?

Yes, and if you look to the core of every faith you see it... we only differ on details.

So you are saying that creator makes the standards, but it is up to us to determine what we want the standard to be. Is that right? For example: If I want the path to be Jesus and you want the path to be the gods of your ancestors then creator must accept the path that we want for ourself.

There is no "Hell concept" in my faith if that is what you are wondering. You get what you gave. Some Nations have a 'reincarnation' concept where you keep trying until you get it right, others have an afterlife like this life but reflecting the lessons you learned and still need to learn. For example, if you were greedy... you be in need and have to rely on the charity of others.

wa:do
So if there really is a hell, but we dont want there to be one in our belief creator must honor our belief, and nullify his own standard based on our beliefs. Is that correct?

Last edited:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
So you are saying that creator makes the standards, but it is up to us to determine what we want the standard to be. Is that right? For example: If I want the path to be Jesus and you want the path to be the gods of your ancestors then creator must accept the path that we want for ourself.
No, I'm saying that the details given to a nomadic herding desert people are not necessarily the details that were needed by agrarian forest people. There is no 'one size fits all' except for the core: "the golden rule". The rest are just details that fit each peoples needs.

So if there really is a hell, but we dont want there to be one in our belief creator must honor our belief, and nullify his own standard based on our beliefs. Is that correct?
If your people need to believe in a hell to be good... then so be it. My people never needed to believe this, our faith is one of personal responsibility and duty.

Danmac

No, I'm saying that the details given to a nomadic herding desert people are not necessarily the details that were needed by agrarian forest people. There is no 'one size fits all' except for the core: "the golden rule". The rest are just details that fit each peoples needs.

How can two religions that contradict each other both be true?
What about this golden rule? Tell me more.

If your people need to believe in a hell to be good... then so be it. My people never needed to believe this, our faith is one of personal responsibility and duty.

I'm not talking about what we prefer. I'm talking about reality and what it is. My question was, if there really is a hell and we prefer for there not to be one, will that nullify hell? How can you be sure there isn't a hell?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
How can two religions that contradict each other both be true?
How can two paths that start on different sides of a mountain both make it to the same top?
What about this golden rule? Tell me more.
you know exactly what I'm talking about as the term is borrowed from your book, so don't play games.

I'm not talking about what we prefer.
Neither am I.

I'm talking about reality and what it is.
That's nice...

My question was, if there really is a hell and we prefer for there not to be one, will that nullify hell? How can you be sure there isn't a hell?
I'm not talking about preference either Creator never threatened us will hell... there is no need of it our faith. It's that simple. If you want to proselytize go somewhere else.

Danmac

I'm not talking about preference either Creator never threatened us will hell... there is no need of it our faith. It's that simple. If you want to proselytize go somewhere else.

I was only asking questions. It appears you are agitated by them. Discussion over.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I was only asking questions. It appears you are agitated by them. Discussion over.
It wasn't the fact the question was asked... it was that once I gave my answer you started to debate, which is not the purpose of this thread nor is it appropriate to a DIR forum.
Ultimately shutting down the debate early saves us both having a mod feel like they need to step in.

Some children to be disciplined with threats of a spanking... some behave by not wanting to disappoint their parents.

Danmac

It wasn't the fact the question was asked... it was that once I gave my answer you started to debate, which is not the purpose of this thread

Thanks for telling me the reason you wanted the discussion here. However, I already knew that. I will not post again in this thread.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Thanks for telling me the reason you wanted the discussion here. However, I already knew that. I will not post again in this thread.
You wanted to know about my faith... this is the most logical place for that discussion. Just as I can go to the Christian DIR to learn from there.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hi, i want to ask you a question if you don't mind.

How is the information about your faith is transferred through generations, is it like each generation teaches the next, or is there any kind of reference?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Hi, i want to ask you a question if you don't mind.

How is the information about your faith is transferred through generations, is it like each generation teaches the next, or is there any kind of reference?
Yes, each generation teaches the next. Some people take up special roles in the Nation and carry with them detailed histories that they spend their lives memorizing. There is a woman in the area where I live who is known as a "land walker"... she knows every place where there has been a village or a burial in the history of her nation. Other people are keepers of the Nations stories and others keep with them the details of how to conduct specific ceremonies.
Traditionally everyone in the Nation had a specific role and part of the culture to keep with them, so that it would never be lost.

They would train for years until they knew their information by heart.... much like some people devote their lives to memorizing the Koran.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's inspiring. The responsibility which is taken here is very serious, and people of your faith seem to have been meeting that responsibility.

Thanks for your response.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was going to ask you that actually.

I hope you will be able to do that someday and be as involved as you hope to be.

Walkntune

Monotheistic. Creator is non-interventionist (at least in the classic, miracle working sense) but there are other spiritual forces that do influence things.

Prayer is very important as a key to displaying thankfulness, and generally I spend a lot of time praying. ;) Generally you don't pray to ask for things, though asking for help for others is ok. Communal worship can be tricky when there are not a lot of fellow practitioners around... but occasionally I get to join in some group spirituality at pow-wows. (Dancing is another form of praying in traditional ways, but some dances are just for fun.)
Magic is a no-no... you are attempting to manipulate things for your own benefit and that is inherently antithetical to walking in thankfulness and balance.
I try to purify myself, through smudging and other forms of ritual cleansing but I have to admit, I haven't been as dedicated as I should be on this. Clearly this is an area I need to work on. :p

Generally one is ment to walk in ballance and thankfulnes... don't take more than you need, give what you have to those that have greater need than you...
Think about the consequences of your actions not just on those living now (and not just for humans), but for seven generations beyond yourself. In other words, always place others before yourself.
All parts of creation are equal, none are less loved by creator... Animals and plants are our elder brothers and sisters and we need to learn from and respect them. (the same goes for the Earth)

Totems are specific to Pacific Northwest Nations and are guardian spirits for families. They are not worshiped but are respected. I don't have one as I'm not part of a Nation that has them.
I do have some spirits that look over and guide me... such as Grandfather Coyote. (Grandfather is a term of respect) But I don't pray to him or worship him.

That is a good start! Hopefully my answers were clear enough to understand! lol
If not feel free to ask me more.

There are a lot of good views in your faith!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Is creator capable of intelligent creation?
Evolution and natural laws are pretty intelligent so sure. How intelligent of creator to set up the universe in a way that would lead to the natural formation of life and for over those billions of years for it to develop into the species we see today, including us!

As I said earlier: The Lakota have a saying: Mitakuye Oyasin "All my relations" that includes all living things, we are all related.

The animals are our elder brothers.

Danmac

Evolution and natural laws are pretty intelligent so sure. How intelligent of creator to set up the universe in a way that would lead to the natural formation of life and for over those billions of years for it to develop into the species we see today, including us!

As I said earlier: The Lakota have a saying: Mitakuye Oyasin "All my relations" that includes all living things, we are all related.

The animals are our elder brothers.

I'm just trying to understand your position. In your faith have humans arisen to a higher form of life than the animal kingdom?