• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask me anything about Hinduism :)

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
Is Karma in effect throughout our life or is it only in effect through reincarnation? I've heard of both and I'm wondering if only one or both are true, or if it depends.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You well get my personal answer, but I will provide justification where ever possible. Ask away!
What's your opinion of ignorant heathens like me having little statues of Ganesh & Lakshmi
on my desk just because I find them attractive, whimsical, & thoroughly nice guys?
Hint: I'm fishing for approval.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What's your opinion of ignorant heathens like me having little statues of Ganesh & Lakshmi
on my desk just because I find them attractive, whimsical, & thoroughly nice guys?
Hint: I'm fishing for approval.
They don't mind. Just clean them sometimes.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What does God (or the divine) teach you through karma?
Not quite clear what the question means. But if one is discerning, one acts bearing in mind the consequences of actions on oneself and on others in the world. That would be what being aware of karma and learning from it would imply.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What is your conception of rebirth? I have never heard it explained clearly.
As more of a wave. One can see the wave move along the surface of the ocean, but in actuality not a single water molecule is flowing forward with the wave, instead it's the "disturbance" itself that is transmitted faithfully forward to the next set of water molecules. That would be the kind of thing I would speculate is happening.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
As more of a wave. One can see the wave move along the surface of the ocean, but in actuality not a single water molecule is flowing forward with the wave, instead it's the "disturbance" itself that is transmitted faithfully forward to the next set of water molecules. That would be the kind of thing I would speculate is happening.
That is nothing different in that than what scientific materialism would say. Rebirth is to me a deceptive term for what you are saying I kind of think.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That is nothing different in that than what scientific materialism would say. Rebirth is to me a deceptive term for what you are saying I kind of think.
Since when does science said anything about rebirth? Where does science say beings can be reborn retaining unconscious traits and even memories of past lives?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You well get my personal answer, but I will provide justification where ever possible. Ask away!

What does it mean to experience Moska?

How do you define your existence once you are one with god?

Since Hinduism is so vast and people believe in so many things, what commonality does everyone have to where all people call themselves Hindus?

What makes someone specifically a Hindu and what makes someone not a Hindu (if they have believe in god)?

Also, why is or differentiate Brahma and Brahman separate (for example, using two different words to describe the different characteristics and nature of both words)?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What would you say is your sect, or sampradaya, or philosophical school, or all of the above? In other words, within the many schools and sects, where would you put yourself?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Since when does science said anything about rebirth? Where does science say beings can be reborn retaining unconscious traits and even memories of past lives?
Science needs remain agnostic to those things at this time. I consider in my personal view input current science cannot address, like a reasoned study of the paranormal and the super-physical insights of many advanced masters of the Hindu wisdom tradition.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What would you say is your sect, or sampradaya, or philosophical school, or all of the above? In other words, within the many schools and sects, where would you put yourself?
I would be a lay Hindu influenced by Vivekananda, Sakta tradition and Nyaya Darshan.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What does it mean to experience Moska?
Gnostic realization of God/Brahman and liberation from rebirth.

How do you define your existence once you are one with god?
Views among Hindus differ here. From a monistic prospective I would say that one's identity merges with that of Brahman, thus one has no separate awareness of existing apart from Brahman.

Since Hinduism is so vast and people believe in so many things, what commonality does everyone have to where all people call themselves Hindus?
It's a common tradition of dialectic discourse and investigation of the spiritual path which is acknowledged to have a common start with the Vedas.

[ QUOTE] What makes someone specifically a Hindu and what makes someone not a Hindu (if they have believe in god)?[/QUOTE]
If one believes that she is a Hindu and finds things of value within the extant Hindu tradition of spiritual, intellectual and moral practice and discourse, which she adopts for her life.. then she would be a Hindu.

Also, why is or differentiate Brahma and Brahman separate (for example, using two different words to describe the different characteristics and nature of both words)?
Brahma is a specific deity credited with creating this universe while Brahman is the ultimate transcendent reality that is the essence of all things including one's Self.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Science needs remain agnostic to those things at this time. I consider in my personal view input current science cannot address, like a reasoned study of the paranormal and the super-physical insights of many advanced masters of the Hindu wisdom tradition.
Cool. I am then confused why you called my view materialistic.