• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask me anything about Hinduism :)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Cool. I am then confused why you called my view materialistic.
And I was confused by your response.

I was pointing out that there was nothing in your belief that a scientific-materialist does not also believe. There was nothing Hindu in the answer and I was also making the point that applying the term 'rebirth' to that concept seems like a misnomer.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Can a human have what resembles sexual relationship with a celestial being or Deity?

Last edited by a moderator:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
And I was confused by your response.

I was pointing out that there was nothing in your belief that a scientific-materialist does not also believe. There was nothing Hindu in the answer and I was also making the point that applying the term 'rebirth' to that concept seems like a misnomer.
I used an analogy.

Grandliseur

You well get my personal answer, but I will provide justification where ever possible. Ask away!
Does it have a message of hope for mankind, or is it just a one national, or tribal, religion?
Are the Vedas part of its teachings? Are these accounts accepted as being factual?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Does it have a message of hope for mankind, or is it just a one national, or tribal, religion?
There is nothing national or tribal about Hinduism. Anybody can be Hindu. It also says anybody can realize Brahman/God through appropriate spiritual practice.
Are the Vedas part of its teachings? Are these accounts accepted as being factual?
Vedas are part of the scripture. They are poems and songs dedicated to the gods. Different Hindus will have different takes on the factuality of the narratives about the gods mentioned there.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I used an analogy.
Right. I guess my concern may stem from the title of the thread. You vary quite a bit from the majority Hindu consensus on reincarnation and souls. People might get a scewed understanding of Hinduism from this thread.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
As more of a wave. One can see the wave move along the surface of the ocean, but in actuality not a single water molecule is flowing forward with the wave, instead it's the "disturbance" itself that is transmitted faithfully forward to the next set of water molecules. That would be the kind of thing I would speculate is happening.

That is nothing different in that than what scientific materialism would say. Rebirth is to me a deceptive term for what you are saying I kind of think.

It sounds like what I understand to be the concept of mindstream in Buddhism, maybe not precisely, but sounds similar..

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Right. I guess my concern may stem from the title of the thread. You vary quite a bit from the majority Hindu consensus on reincarnation and souls. People might get a scewed understanding of Hinduism from this thread.
In the monistic system, there is only ultimate substrate, Brahman. So I have been thinking about a better way to express rebirth without invoking dualism.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
In the monistic system, there is only ultimate substrate, Brahman. So I have been thinking about a better way to express rebirth without invoking dualism.

I kind of have a problem with it too. I'm a semi-dualist (somewhere between Vishishtadvaita, Achintya Bhedabheda), but if I were a non-dualist, I can't get my head wrapped around the idea that if our true nature is Brahman why we would be reincarnating.... unless it is simply Brahman's nature, the nature of existence is to exist.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

George-ananda

Premium Member
I am non-dualist and a believer in souls and reincarnation. Individual Souls and physical bodies are still temporary illusions. Souls just exist longer (until Moksha).

Souls/devas/ghosts/whatever are just temporary beings on the subtle planes of nature.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am non-dualist and a believer in souls and reincarnation. Individual Souls and physical bodies are still temporary illusions. Souls just exist longer (until Moksha).

Souls/devas/ghosts/whatever are just temporary beings on the subtle planes of nature.
Temporary things are existent but temporary. Illusions are non-existent. There is a problem there I perceive.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Temporary things are existent but temporary. Illusions are non-existent. There is a problem there I perceive.
Of course there is relative existence that we perceive. But yes ultimately Brahman alone is real. The universe is a play/drama of Brahman in which He separates Himself from Himself and returns Himself to Himself. That is the advaita non-dual understanding.

This play/drama involves the gross and subtle planes.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course there is relative existence that we perceive. But yes ultimately Brahman alone is real. The universe is a play/drama of Brahman in which He separates Himself from Himself and returns Himself to Himself. That is the advaita non-dual understanding.

This play/drama involves the gross and subtle planes.
I believe that the separation is only apparent and not actually happening. Hence my (quite imperfect) attempt to explain the apparent separation using analogy of apparent flow in a single substrate (wave in water).

George-ananda

Premium Member
I believe that the separation is only apparent and not actually happening. Hence my (quite imperfect) attempt to explain the apparent separation using analogy of apparent flow in a single substrate (wave in water).
OK, but when discussing reincarnation though we are in our familiar relative reality at that point.

Logos11

In your world and daily life, what do you think ties you to Hinduism? In other words, what is the defining factor and attribute of Hinduism's accuracy and trueness? And also what is a major doctrine of Hinduism that has stood out for you?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
OK, but when discussing reincarnation though we are in our familiar relative reality at that point.
It's a personal preference is it not? As I said in my OP, it's my personal take on Hinduism, but do provide my reasons for how I prefer to frame my answers. There is no reason for other Hindus to find my framing useful. Some may, some won't. Making no claims of normativity here.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In your world and daily life, what do you think ties you to Hinduism? In other words, what is the defining factor and attribute of Hinduism's accuracy and trueness? And also what is a major doctrine of Hinduism that has stood out for you?
Spiritual experiences I have had through meditations, insights I have gained from reading Hindu scriptures and philosophy and the positive effect it has had in my psychological health, ethical outlook as well as intellectual capacities.

There is no "Do this because God commands it" type of thing. Instead it tells what is the objective of spiritual practice, why is it worth pursuing, what methods are most effective and why they are effective etc. It's also very diverse, so that different folks can adopt different methods more consonant with their character. So if something does not resonate with you, you can leave it alone and do something different that suits you better.