• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Jayhawker Soule Anything

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Jayhawker, (I'm terribly sorry, but I don't know your first name)

I think it was a brilliant move by your PR agent to start this thread.....I'd say at over 1,000 views in just two days, this thread is a mega hit. ;)

Jay for President! Shout it with me everyone!

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
FeathersinHair said:
Giselle! *claps hands eagerly* I was lucky enough to 'grow up' with it, and am glad to hear that I'm not the only one here that holds it dear to my heart.
You are such a special person.

FeathersinHair said:
More questions! Do you feel a connection with any creature in the wild kingdom or in legend, and, if so, which one(s)?
afarensis.JPG

Lucy

A lovely species, beautifully adapted to the transitional woodlands, rendered extinct through no fault of its own. In a sense, we're here because Lucy is not. We owe her - if not gratitude then, at the very least, thoughtful acknowledgement.

FeathersinHair said:
Also, do you have a story that you enjoy telling your grandkids, or a book that they enjoy hearing you read?
I tell them stories every chance I get, always made up on the spot, always a little different than the one before.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
MysticSang'ha said:
I'm a wreck throughout that show. :eek: You don't have to admit it (but it'd be really great if you did), but just how emotional do you get when Jean Valjean sings "Bring Him Home"? Or when Eponine sings "On My Own"?
As I noted some time ago, "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" is a powerful expression of survivor's guilt. I hear it and think of those in the Lincoln Brigade who survived the war and, of course, those who survived the camps.

MysticSang'ha said:
Since it seems you prefer Russian ballet to others, are you familiar with the ballets by George Balanchine?
I enjoy ballet and live in the Chicago area. I have heard/read of Balanchine, but I'd hardly say that I'm "familiar" with him. As with art, I'm an enthusiastic observer but, sadly, far from knowledgeable.

MysticSang'ha said:
***SHAMELESS PLUG***
Since you have said you have not had any worthy exposure to Greek theatre, might I suggest reading the play Lysistrata by Aristophanes? It's a very amusing play and a quick read, and the shameless plug is the fact that I have been commissioned to choreograph this play in St. Louis, MO this season where it will be staged in mid-November. :D
***END SHAMELESS PLUG***
I'll do better than read it. I have a couple of grandkids in a St. Louis suburb. Give me more information and I'll try my best to see your work.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Buttercup said:
Jayhawker, (I'm terribly sorry, but I don't know your first name)
Feel free to call me 'Jay' if you wish.

Buttercup said:
I think it was a brilliant move by your PR agent to start this thread.....I'd say at over 1,000 views in just two days, this thread is a mega hit.
A few find me interesting, a few more find me provocative, but I suspect that most find me irritatingly pompous. That the thread has had more than 1,000 views is interesting, as is the fact that many have chosen not to participate.

Buttercup said:
Jay for President!
... of what? :no:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Jayhawker Soule said:
That the thread has had more than 1,000 views is interesting, as is the fact that many have chosen not to participate.
My guess is that some posters are a bit shall we say, too intimidated to ask questions? That's why I think this thread was a great way to show people that your roar is much louder than your bite. It is.... right?:D

..... of what? :no:
The President of the United States of course!

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Buttercup said:
That's why I think this thread was a great way to show people that your roar is much louder than your bite. It is.... right?
I assume so. I do not have a loud bite.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Buttercup said:
The President of the United States of course!

This may sound like an odd thing to say, since I respect the position, but I think too highly of Jay to wish presidency on him. Barring some choice exceptions, U.S. presidents are not known for thinking very much about the needs of people who are not themselves, and I can't see Jay fitting into that role.

Thanks for the further insight, Jay, in speaking of Lucy. I remember, when I learned about her, that I was in my "Beatles" phase, and the name seemed beautifully appropriate.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
FeathersinHair said:
This may sound like an odd thing to say, since I respect the position, but I think too highly of Jay to wish presidency on him. Barring some choice exceptions, U.S. presidents are not known for thinking very much about the needs of people who are not themselves, and I can't see Jay fitting into that role.
Yes, I understand what you are saying. But, we need someone in the White House who is honest. And I trust that Jay would be. ;)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jayhawker Soule said:
No.

I have achieved what I have achieved ... a good deal of which required precious little effort on my part. I am far more proud of my choices than my achievements. But, thank you for the compliment.

No, not really. I actually believe that my self assessment is fairly balanced.

You write with little emotion; there seems to be a very practical and "get to the point" trait in your character. I do know that some subjects 'get under your skin'; that is only natural. On the whole though you appear cool, level headed and practical.

Yet I understand how you love ballet and music, and enjoy interacting with your family, who, I would assume you love.

Is there any reason (apart from impatience) that explains the lack of emotion in your posts, compared to your obvious ability to enjoy emotion outside the forum.

cardero

Citizen Mod
I do not know if this question was asked yet but what was your childhood like and where did you reside? What were you interested in as a child and how did you busy yourself? What were your parents like?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
michel said:
Is there any reason (apart from impatience) that explains the lack of emotion in your posts, compared to your obvious ability to enjoy emotion outside the forum.
If anything, I think my posts are sometimes too emotive. I would be interested to know if others share your perception of me.

Random

Jayhawker Soule said:
If anything, I think my posts are sometimes too emotive. I would be interested to know if others share your perception of me.

Emotive posts are good, but they can sometimes result in profound misunderstandings. I nearly cried when you accused me of anti-semitism before, even though you were only being honest in your opinion of my opinion (which is equally okay). Djamila hit it when she said we are disadvantaged in our perception of one another when we're on here because it's not like a vid-com where we can get the feel of what we're saying to each other visually. But I always read your posts and find your perspectives interesting, JS, agree or disagree.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
cardero said:
I do not know if this question was asked yet but what was your childhood like and where did you reside? What were you interested in as a child and how did you busy yourself? What were your parents like?
I was raised in Southern California in one of those stucco GI housing tracts that cropped up in the mid-40s. My mother and her family were from the South, my dad from the West. I was the oldest of four boys. One of my brothers was hit by a car at the age of 2 and, for many yeard, my dad was forced to work two jobs to cover massive medical expenses. As a result, I partially lost a father while inheriting the responsibilitis of older brother.

I loved reading, science, and math. Overweight and neither athletic nor socially adept, I focused perhas too much on academics. I also loved the beach. As a young teen and amateur magician (very amateur!) I did volunteer work on the children's ward at County General Hospital - mostly playing with the kids; I would also help wheel patients to religious service on occasion. I also played viola and served as an usher at the Shrine Auditorium - both of which exposed me to a wide swath of music. I recall the period as being neither particularly wonderful nor particularly sad.

At a relatively early age I became deeply involved in the Civil Rights movement.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Godlike said:
Emotive posts are good, but they can sometimes result in profound misunderstandings. I nearly cried when you accused me of anti-semitism before, even though you were only being honest in your opinion of my opinion (which is equally okay).
Could you reference the post?

Random

Jayhawker Soule said:
Could you reference the post?

It was the "Arab propaganda..." one, I don't remember the rest of the title, because it (the thread) was deleted by a moderator.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Godlike said:
It was the "Arab propaganda..." one, I don't remember the rest of the title, because it (the thread) was deleted by a moderator.
Then let's assume that the error was mine: please accept my apology.

Permit me to make a general point. While I'm sure that I err frequently, I actually try very hard to be precise in my charcterizations, and I make a sharp distinction between the characterization of a person and the characterization of a position. Nor do I believe that the position necessarily defines the person. So, for example, the fact that I've said things that are ignorant in no way indicates that I am ignorant.

Random

Jayhawker Soule said:
Then let's assume that the error was mine: please accept my apology.

Permit me to make a general point. While I'm sure that I err frequently, I actually try very hard to be precise in my charcterizations, and I make a sharp distinction between the characterization of a person and the characterization of a position. Nor do I believe that the position necessarily defines the person. So, for example, the fact that I've said things that are ignorant in no way indicates that I am ignorant.

I agree, JS. Somone has started a "Are Jayhawker Soule's posts too Emotional?" thread now! This is getting out of hand...:)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Godlike said:
I agree, JS. Somone has started a "Are Jayhawker Soule's posts too Emotional?" thread now!
People do what they do based on their own particular agenda. I'd rather keep this thread on-topic.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
Jayhawker Soule said:
I have that perception of you as well.

Except for the sarcastic quips that convey your disgust (s that anemotion?) with something someone has posted, my impression is that you are usually attempting to express your thoughts with logic, wit and a tremendous background of knowledge while leaving emotion out of the equation.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Snowbear said:
Except for the sarcastic quips that convey your disgust (is that an emotion?) with something someone has posted, my impression is that you are usually attempting to express your thoughts with logic, wit and a tremendous background of knowledge while leaving emotion out of the equation.
Thank you (I think). Disgust and contempt are clearly emotions. What I have apparently done poorly is communicate my love of those things that I deeply appreciate, partly because I view it as a somewhat private covenant.