• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Jayhawker Soule Anything

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Jayhawker Soule said:
Labels are brittle and tend to fracture under stress. I prefer "Religious Naturalist".
Hmm. I hope you don't mind further questions about your personal beliefs. If my questions are too invasive, feel free to put me back in my cage and take away my banana.:p

"Religious" in my mind refers to a faithful devotion to something. And "naturalist" generally means to me a belief that scientific laws are adequate to account for all phenomena. So does that mean you have a basic humanist viewpoint but enjoy the rituals and comfort of some religious practices?

Do you believe in a supreme being or not? :D

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Buttercup said:
Hmm. I hope you don't mind further questions about your personal beliefs. If my questions are too invasive, feel free to put me back in my cage and take away my banana.
Your questions are fine.

Buttercup said:
"Religious" in my mind refers to a faithful devotion to something. And "naturalist" generally means to me a belief that scientific laws are adequate to account for all phenomena. So does that mean you have a basic humanist viewpoint but enjoy the rituals and comfort of some religious practices?
We define "religious" differently. I view it as the impulse to make whole.

Buttercup said:
Do you believe in a supreme being or not?
No. I do not.

d.

_______
i just remembered - i've been meaning to ask you about the meaning of your avatar; specifically, what does it say and (if it's not obvious) why have you chosen it?

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
Jayhawker Soule said:
One or two women members? :eek:
Maybe even 3 or 4 :D

In many ways - both from your posts on RF and your responses in this thread, you remind me a lot of my father, though he's much older and seems much more cynical than you.

Thank you for starting this thread - I've enjoyed and appreciated your responses :)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
divine said:
i just remembered - i've been meaning to ask you about the meaning of your avatar; specifically, what does it say and (if it's not obvious) why have you chosen it?
Sorry - it is the Hebrew rendering of "Shalom".

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Snowbear said:
Maybe even 3 or 4 :D
My cup runneth over ... :)

Snowbear said:
In many ways - both from your posts on RF and your responses in this thread, you remind me a lot of my father, though he's much older and seems much more cynical than you.
My regards to your father. I do not think of myself as being at all cynical.

Snowbear said:
Thank you for starting this thread - I've enjoyed and appreciated your responses :)
Thank you ...

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jayhawker Soule said:
I do not believe that I have achieved a great deal.

That surprises me; are you just modest?

To the best of my knowledge (and from some of your posts on this thread), I am aware that you are a husband, Father and grandfather(if I remember correctly some 12 times over).

You describe your lifetime's employment as:-

Paper route, factory worker, longshoreman, steel worker, electronic engineering, software engineering, project management, engineering management.

You list your Outstanding qualifications as :-
discipline, enthusiasm, and respect for scholarship coupled with a fairly well-developed understanding of what I don't know - nothing more.

You obviously are a man of social conscience, prepared to "get your hands dirty" to help achieve rights for others, reflected in:-

The Civil Rights movement wasn't something that we did - it was who we were. Today's students desire social justice - they are not about social justice. Ironically, I suspect this is because they are far less naive and far more empowered.
I can remember when I came across my first picket line. Dow Wilson was building a housing track closed to non-whites. The idea struck me as both ugly and impossible. Had it not, I might have nodded knowingly and walked on by rather than joining with tears in my eyes.

As I look at the above, I should say that there is a considerable number of qualities and successes which could only been have achieved by someone determined to achieve them. Don't you (in reflection) believe that you are a man who has achieved ? If anyone else's life had been described as above, would you not consider them achievers?

Thinking about your earlier answer, in view of the above, I would guess that either you are a perfectionist, or modest (or possibly both); am I right?

c0da

What is your opinion of Joan Peter's From Time Immemorial. I noticed you posted a link about it in a thread a while back. I'm reading it at the moment and I'm just wondering what you think of it...

What are its better points?
What are it's flaws?
How accurate would you consider what Peter's puts forward?

Thanks.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Aaahhhh, a man after my own heart............since you have mentioned that you are a fan of theatre, ballet, and musicals (my eyes lit up with your admissions), what are your favorite 1) musicals, 2) ballets, 3)theatre productions?

Do you have favorites in Greek theatre? Shakespeare?

Your cup should continue to runneth over..........I have enjoyed rubbing elbows with you, and I consider you very highly as one of my favorites on RF. :)

Peace,
Mystic

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
michel said:
That surprises me; are you just modest?
No.

michel said:
As I look at the above, I should say that there is a considerable number of qualities and successes which could only been have achieved by someone determined to achieve them. Don't you (in reflection) believe that you are a man who has achieved ? If anyone else's life had been described as above, would you not consider them achievers?
I have achieved what I have achieved ... a good deal of which required precious little effort on my part. I am far more proud of my choices than my achievements. But, thank you for the compliment.

michel said:
Thinking about your earlier answer, in view of the above, I would guess that either you are a perfectionist, or modest (or possibly both); am I right?
No, not really. I actually believe that my self assessment is fairly balanced.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
c0da said:
What is your opinion of Joan Peter's From Time Immemorial. I noticed you posted a link about it in a thread a while back. I'm reading it at the moment and I'm just wondering what you think of it...
Thank you for asking. Unfortunately, at this point I'm not at all sure. I read it perhaps 16 years ago. Given the Wikipedia write-up, I should review it before recommending it to others ...

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
MysticSang'ha said:
Aaahhhh, a man after my own heart............since you have mentioned that you are a fan of theatre, ballet, and musicals (my eyes lit up with your admissions), what are your favorite 1) musicals, 2) ballets, 3)theatre productions? Do you have favorites in Greek theatre? Shakespeare?
Les Mis is incomparable, as is Giselle (though I rarely miss an opportunity to see Swan Lake). I've had no exposure of worth to Greek theatre. I enjoy most Shakespeare.

MysticSang'ha said:
Your cup should continue to runneth over..........I have enjoyed rubbing elbows with you, and I consider you very highly as one of my favorites on RF.

Peace, Mystic
Thank you. That was very kind. Shalom.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Giselle! *claps hands eagerly* I was lucky enough to 'grow up' with it, and am glad to hear that I'm not the only one here that holds it dear to my heart. (And that I wasn't the only one with a paper route!)

More questions! Do you feel a connection with any creature in the wild kingdom or in legend, and, if so, which one(s)? (I suppose that could be better phrased "What's your favorite critter?", but why use one word when ten will do?)

Also, do you have a story that you enjoy telling your grandkids, or a book that they enjoy hearing you read? What do you recommend in the children's book department? (Other than "The Monster At the End of This Book", by Grover, because I think it's safe to infer that such a well-read indivudual as yourself would support mandatory copies of this superior novel in all household.)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Jayhawker Soule said:
Les Mis is incomparable.........

I'm a wreck throughout that show. :eek: You don't have to admit it (but it'd be really great if you did), but just how emotional do you get when Jean Valjean sings "Bring Him Home"? Or when Eponine sings "On My Own"? I also became a convert of sorts into the Javert fan-girls club..............isn't his suicide a spectacle on stage that HAS to be seen to be believed?

Since it seems you prefer Russian ballet to others, are you familiar with the ballets by George Balanchine? He's most well-known for "Swan Lake", but he also contributed so many other incredible ballets such as "Stars and Stripes" and "Coppelia." He may well be the single most influential choreographer in the 20th century for putting the music of Stravinsky and Tchaikovsky on the map and in America's hearts...........most specifically with annual runs of "The Nutcracker" by hundreds of ballet companies everywhere. :)

He's very easy to find on Google for his repetoire, although if you're interested in learning more you can PM me for more references on his work.

***SHAMELESS PLUG***
Since you have said you have not had any worthy exposure to Greek theatre, might I suggest reading the play Lysistrata by Aristophanes? It's a very amusing play and a quick read, and the shameless plug is the fact that I have been commissioned to choreograph this play in St. Louis, MO this season where it will be staged in mid-November. :D
***END SHAMELESS PLUG***

Peace,
Mystic