• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Jayhawker Soule Anything

PetShopBoy88

Jayhawker Soule said:
(Why I'm starting such a thread is beyond me. Oh, well ...)

SHALOM

:)
What books would you recommend for one starting serious scriptural studies? Books aobut the history of the writings, the cultural significance, etc.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i think everyone on RF will agree that you are a very intelligent man, Jay, may i ask what qualification you have attained? are you university educated?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
PetShopBoy88 said:
What books would you recommend for one starting serious scriptural studies? Books aobut the history of the writings, the cultural significance, etc.
Get three or four Torahs/Tanakhs with substantive commentaries, e.g., JPS, Stone, Etz Hayim, Alter. Then consider ...

Exploring Exodus
by Nahum M. Sarna​
Oxford History of Ancient Egypt
by Ian Shaw (editor)​
Egypt, Canaan, and Israel in Ancient Times
by Donald B. Redford​
Ancient Israel's Faith and History: An Introduction to the Bible in Context
by George E. Mendenhall​
Archaeology of the Land of the Bible 10,000-586 B.C.E.
by Amihai Mazar​
The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts
by Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman​
What Did the Biblical Writers Know and when Did They Know It?, and
Who Were the Early Israelites and Where Did They Come from?
by William G. Dever​
The Israelites
by B.S.J. Isserlin​
Archaeology and the Bible
by John C. Laughlin​
Canaanite Myth and Hebrew Epic: Essays in the History of the Religion of Israel, and
From Epic to Canon: History and Literature in Ancient Israel
by Frank Moore Cross​
Origins of Biblical Monotheism: Israel's Polytheistic Background and the Ugaritic Texts, and
Early History of God: Yahweh and the Other Deities in Ancient Israel
by Mark S. Smith​
Babylonians
by H.W.F. Saggs​
Canaanites
by Jonathan N. Tub​
The Pentateuch
by Joseph Blenkinsopp​
How the Bible Became a Book: Textualization in Ancient Israel
by William M. Schniedewind​
What is most important is to realize that there is a wealth of continuing scholarship, such as here.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Mike182 said:
i think everyone on RF will agree that you are a very intelligent man, Jay, may i ask what qualification you have attained? are you university educated?
Outstanding qualifications: discipline, enthusiasm, and respect for scholarship coupled with a fairly well-developed understanding of what I don't know - nothing more.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Jayhawker Soule said:
(Why I'm starting such a thread is beyond me. Oh, well ...)​

SHALOM

:)
Maybe you just want to be one of the crowd. :cool: Yeah, right.

Here's my question:

If I were to meet you in person, and spend a couple of hours with you over lunch, would you seem to be pretty much the same guy I know online? You are not, of course, oblivious to the fact that you elicit strong feelings in people on RF. Most of them either hold you in great esteem or are scared silly of you. Me... I've come to appreciate your unique personality over the time I've been here on RF, but I still don't really feel like I know you. Is that how it's supposed to be? :D

Katzpur

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Have you ever written any books?

It would be fascinating to see how you tackle a subject in a longer format.

cardero

Citizen Mod
How come you never posted your picture in the “Post Your Pic” thread? I am sure there are many RF members who would want to put a face to the one of RF’s most honest posters.

How did you come to know so much about the Bible and what practical value does this knowledge have for you or your life?

Are there any thoughts about reverting back to the old Groucho avatar?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Katzpur said:
If I were to meet you in person, and spend a couple of hours with you over lunch, would you seem to be pretty much the same guy I know online?
You would find me far less confrontational and far more 'grandfatherly'. We would almost certainly hug upon meeting and departing.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
YmirGF said:
Have you ever written any books?

It would be fascinating to see how you tackle a subject in a longer format.
No - I am a very poor writer. Truth be told, I find myself frequently frustrated by my inability to more clearly express myself. I truly envy folks like Pah and lilithu

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Jayhawker Soule said:
You would find me far less confrontational and far more 'grandfatherly'. We would almost certainly hug upon meeting and departing.
That's nice to hear, although you are only three years and three days my senior, so I wouldn't be calling you Grandpa. :D

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I am aware that you are a husband, father and grandfather but, if you hypothetically were single at this moment in time.....which TWO personality characteristics would be the most important to you in selecting a mate?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
cardero said:
How come you never posted your picture in the “Post Your Pic” thread?
It's not relevant.

cardero said:
How did you come to know so much about the Bible and what practical value does this knowledge have for you or your life?
It's an amazing anthology worthy of persistent effort. Thre is, I believe, an existential value in seeking to understand and respect an evolving call to universal human values: "You shall be holy"

cardero said:
Are there any thoughts about reverting back to the old Groucho avatar?
Nor there's a fond memory, especially given that the avatar was assigned to me. I wonder what people would select now? :eek:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Katzpur said:
That's nice to hear, although you are only three years and three days my senior, so I wouldn't be calling you Grandpa. :D
Happy upcoming birhday, sweetheart. You look pretty darn cute for your age.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Buttercup said:
I am aware that you are a husband, father and grandfather but, if you hypothetically were single at this moment in time.....which TWO personality characteristics would be the most important to you in selecting a mate?
Compassion and integrity.