• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Jayhawker Soule Anything

Yerda

Veteran Member
Still taking questions?

What would you say are the traits that you are most proud of in yourself?

Your posts are often abrupt, and I find you slightly intimidating (odd I accept given the medium of conversation). Is that intentional?

Are you still active in any poltical movement?

Could you talk about the Israel/Palestine situation? What do you think are the most important issues? What are the potential solutions and do you see an end to the fighting?

Ever visited the tropics of Scotland? I swear it got so warm this summer the ice in my brain almost melted!

Eh, that's quite a lot so obviously if you choose to answer I'm not expecting a dissertation, I imagine you must have better things to do than answer my queries. I would appreciate as much detail as possible, but I'd be grateful for any response you see fit.

Cheers.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Jaiket said:
What would you say are the traits that you are most proud of in yourself?
I am a good husband and grandfather, ana an ethical person.

Jaiket said:
Your posts are often abrupt, and I find you slightly intimidating (odd I accept given the medium of conversation).
The intention is rarely if ever to intimidate. I'm simply contemptuous of inane argument and thoughtless speculation - I find it insulting and irresponsible - and I am too impatient to deal with such things in a more constructive way. Perhaps I should do better, but I doubt that it would accomplish much, and my current, less disciplined, approach is at least mildly cathartic.

Jaiket said:
Are you still active in any poltical movement?
Not as such.

Jaiket said:
Could you talk about the Israel/Palestine situation? What do you think are the most important issues? What are the potential solutions and do you see an end to the fighting?
My first principle is the right of Israel to exist. My second is the necessity of redressing legitimate Palestinian grievances. My third is the elimination of theocratic deformations of Israeli democracy. I can envision no acceptable solution that does not internationalize the Old City.

[Please - let's not transform this thread into a discussion on the Middle East.]

Jaiket said:
Ever visited the tropics of Scotland? I swear it got so warm this summer the ice in my brain almost melted!
Actually, I've always wanted to visit Scotland (and Iceland).

Jaiket said:
Eh, that's quite a lot so obviously if you choose to answer I'm not expecting a dissertation, I imagine you must have better things to do than answer my queries. I would appreciate as much detail as possible, but I'd be grateful for any response you see fit.
Given that I tend to be terse, I hope the responses were adequate. If not, let me know and I'll try again.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Jayhawker Soule said:
I am a good husband and grandfather, ana an ethical person.
What does living an ethical life mean to you?

Jayhawker Soule said:
[Please - let's not transform this thread into a discussion on the Middle East.]
Nah, 'course not. I liked your answer though. Would it be cheeky of me to ask you to make a thread where you could talk about it at greater length? I'm interested in what you would have to say.

Jayhawker Soule said:
Actually, I've always wanted to visit Scotland (and Iceland).
It's bloody cold, dark, wet and miserable yet I know few tourists who've left with bad memories of Scotland.

Jayhawker Soule said:
Given that I tend to be terse, I hope the responses were adequate. If not, let me know and I'll try again.
That was fine. Thanks.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
After 120+ posts that should be sufficient enough to show that people want to know about you. Here is what I want to know.

Having been as read and as involved with academics, what if anything would you tell a college class full of different faiths?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Jaiket said:
Jayhawker Soule said:
I am a good husband and grandfather, and an ethical person.
It means living an honest, socially dutiful, and intellectually responsible life. You might find the Wikipedia entry on tzedakah interesting.

Jaiket said:
Jayhawker Soule said:
Nah, 'course not. I liked your answer though. Would it be cheeky of me to ask you to make a thread where you could talk about it at greater length? I'm interested in what you would have to say.
I think a thread on "The Middle East according to Jayhawker" might be a bit pretentious and would inevitably invite vitriolic prpaganda. A serious investigation of the topic might be interesting, but it would necessitate tight moderation. I wonder what a focused dialogue with Djamila would produce?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Victor said:
After 120+ posts that should be sufficient enough to show that people want to know about you. Here is what I want to know.
There is no accounting for idle curiosity. ;)

Victor said:
Having been as read and as involved with academics, what if anything would you tell a college class full of different faiths?
I'm sorry, Victor, but I'm not sure that I understand what you're asking - nor am I sure that I'd have anything particularly inciteful to say. Perhaps I would encourage them to come to a common understanding of "Religion" as a verb, propose that it is fundamentally a quest for wholeness, and suggest that they acquaint themselves with the Jewish concepts of "Tikkun Atzmi", "Tikkun Kehila", and "Tikkun Olam".

If I've misunderstood your question, please let me know.

PureX

Veteran Member
But what exactly does "wholeness" mean?

I suspect that our quest for wholeness is really a quest for safety, for freedom from want, and to understand the hows and whys of all forces that effect ourselves. Perhaps what we would consider being whole, is for us to be gods, ourselves.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
PureX said:
But what exactly does "wholeness" mean?

I suspect that our quest for wholeness is really a quest for safety, for freedom from want, and to understand the hows and whys of all forces that effect ourselves. Perhaps what we would consider being whole, is for us to be gods, ourselves.
Please do not pollute this thread with apologetics. Thanks.

PureX

Veteran Member
Jayhawker Soule said:
Please do not pollute this thread with apologetics. Thanks.
Huh? I was asking a ligitimate question, and posing what I believe to be a ligitimate possibility. I have nothing to do with apologetics.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Jayhawker Soule said:
I am a good husband and grandfather, and an ethical person.
Jaiket said:
Jayhawker Soule said:
It means living an honest, socially dutiful, and intellectually responsible life. You might find the Wikipedia entry on tzedakah interesting.
Thank you for the answer and article.

Jayhawker Soule said:
I wonder what a focused dialogue with Djamila would produce?
Good reading I expect.

Thanks again. One last question for now, is this thread tiring?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Jayhawker Soule said:
I'm sorry, Victor, but I'm not sure that I understand what you're asking - nor am I sure that I'd have anything particularly inciteful to say. Perhaps I would encourage them to come to a common understanding of "Religion" as a verb, propose that it is fundamentally a quest for wholeness, and suggest that they acquaint themselves with the Jewish concepts of "Tikkun Atzmi", "Tikkun Kehila", and "Tikkun Olam".

If I've misunderstood your question, please let me know.

That's what I was looking for, Thanks. But now I'm curious of these Jewish concepts you speak of. Do share...:)

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Is there any question that you'd like to be asked and what would your question be? (Please feel free to ignore this if there isn't such a question- it's just something that I'd want to be asked, since there's usually a question that I'm hoping that will come up! :) )

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
FeathersinHair said:
Is there any question that you'd like to be asked and what would your question be?
What a remarkable question - as is its opposite. You're special ...

... let me give both questions some thought.

Cynic

What three things you are most passionate about in life?

Who, besides your parents, has influenced you the most?

What three things are you the most thankful for?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Cynic said:
What three things you are most passionate about in life?
Family, Civil Rights, & Naturalism.

Cynic said:
I'm not too sure ... curious ...

Cynic said:
What three things are you the most thankful for?
Family, Science, & my Humanity, which includes the capacity for love, gratitude, and reason.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Cynic said:
I've spent the last half hour pondering that question and have come to the conclusion that I have no answer. Apparently, no one 'influenced me the most' - a fact that I find mildly disconcerting. Thanks for asking the question.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I was wondering today what effects the suicide bombings have on the general public. You may be the most well-qualified person to answer (that I have contact with)...

You've been to Israel more than once, yeah?

Do you know, if there's an ever-present fear?

How has it changed public life?

Oh, happy birthday by the way!

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Jaiket said:
I was wondering today what effects the suicide bombings have on the general public. You may be the most well-qualified person to answer (that I have contact with)...

You've been to Israel more than once, yeah?

Do you know, if there's an ever-present fear?

How has it changed public life?

Oh, happy birthday by the way!
Thanks for the birthday wish ...

People are highly adaptable. They tell themselves that they know how to be cautious. They tell themselves that it won't happen to them. They tell themselves that life must go on. They tell themselves that they can't let the terrorists intimidate them. They tell themselves these things over and over again, generally believing them, and sometimes they get killed. On some level, you do much the same thing when you drive a car ...