• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask away !

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Interviews are still a thing here ? :laughing: Oki, let's go !
I've been away a long time and many things changed, so I guess a new thread is better than digging the old one ...

So, ask anything episode 2 return of the revengeance

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
1) How has life been since you were last here? I hope it's going well for you!

2) What has renewed your interest in RF?

3) How would you describe your religious, political, and philosophical leanings?

Nyingjé Tso

What are your feelings on plantains?
Hidden treasure. Looks like a meh banana until you taste aloko, then there's no going back, you'll crave more of it :laughing:

1) How has life been since you were last here? I hope it's going well for you!
A lot happened xD Both good and bad, but that's what life is. I left the big city (finally) and settled in a beautiful region with beautiful nature, good food and good people ! The **** economy made me start cultivating my own food too, and I loved it. With some elbow grease I grew a lot of veggies last year, which made us eat good and save a surprising lot of money. Can't wait for the winter to end and start my seedlings again :grinning:
All those years working my butt off in the big city paid off also. I am a homeowner ! It's been hectic but starting to settle in the new place, small steps.
I dunno what tomorrow will bring next, but we'll see in time

2) What has renewed your interest in RF?
I missed people from back then and I'm happy to see some still around :heart:
It's also becoming more rare to find forums on the internet, even more active ones. I tried meeting people on Discord for a while but dropped it. The instant chat format is just too time and life consuming. Forum format is chill, you take time to read, to ponder, to talk to people.

3) How would you describe your religious, political, and philosophical leanings?
A few years ago I hit a wall in my religion for a lot of reasons. What I had interest into and what I wanted to learn was inaccessible to me: because I'm a woman, because I'm white and because there are extremely few genuine lineages that are still alive in an ocean of con-artists and fake gurus. I ended up finding a legit teacher, only catch was that he is Buddhist, not Hindu. But I got accepted and treated the very same as a man or a tibetan person. No discrimation and equal opportunities to learn and grow ... So I jumped in and started everything over.
Long story short, it went very well since then. I took my vows and became an ordained ngakma, traveled to the US and France for rituals and retreats... Preparing to attend more in Nepal and also getting involved in learning traditional thangka painting as well as donating and taking care of nuns and refugee kids in India and Nepal. I also met my current teacher and completed a Dzogchen retreat, moved to Bön religion practices. Which wasn't very well received by some sangha people but I also decided to not care anymore about those opinions.
Spiritual life is good, fulfilling, but so busy now xD

Politically and philosophically... Nothing much changed. I've always been saying that I didn't want to get involved in politics or "take a side" but apparently being anti-corruption and wanting fair and equal treatments for everyone to be happy, healthy and wealthy enough to life is being a leftist. So I guess I'm a leftist ? I don't know. People with extreme left view tell me I'm not leftist enough for them, or whatever. My political stance is more like finding the middle way. All that I know is that whatever political side you look at, there are almost only corrupt people. Current governement here is a perfect exemple of that... Macron is a disaster, but at the same time the left is too busy with petty internal fights to really be of importance. Shame. Feeling like France will not be far ending up with a far right president next and it's going to be an absolute ****show. x_x

Nyingjé Tso

Ooh new to me, but then Tibetan Buddhism is something I know little of.
Not a lot of people know much about it, but at the same time there are a lot of misconceptions (in the west at least) about it too.
Fortunately there are now many teachers that have traveled and are settling around the world, giving teachings and conferences online or on site... So I feel now people have many good opportunities to get authentic teachings and it's amazing !

It's been extra hard for me though because Bön is even more rare and less known ! But I'm fortunate to have a big bönpo monastery not far away. Hopefully it will grow and be known a bit more too in the future

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Not a lot of people know much about it, but at the same time there are a lot of misconceptions (in the west at least) about it too.
Fortunately there are now many teachers that have traveled and are settling around the world, giving teachings and conferences online or on site... So I feel now people have many good opportunities to get authentic teachings and it's amazing !

It's been extra hard for me though because Bön is even more rare and less known ! But I'm fortunate to have a big bönpo monastery not far away. Hopefully it will grow and be known a bit more too in the future
What do you think some of the biggest misconceptions are?

Nyingjé Tso

What do you think some of the biggest misconceptions are?

On one hand, many people have the misconception of Buddhism only being some kind of chill way of life, live laugh love kind of philosophy only. Do whatever you want, no rules, don't do harm and it's all about a smiling chubby man, chakra incense and "OM"-ing on a cushion.

On the other hand, orientalists theosophists of the last century did a lot of damage regarding misconception of what Tibetan Buddhism is on occult/spiritual circles. Like Hindu tantra, it's all about "secret magical sex by orgasmic celestial chakra kundalini rising" and super cool looking exotic sorcery stuff to them, while it's... Not about all this at all. I've seen people get into it because "it looked cool" and bypass all pre-requisites (do the Ngondro practices first !) and warnings (find a teacher to help you !) and ending up with severe disappointement at best and mental illness at worst.

Nyingjé Tso

JkCg7ZN.gif

W H O O O O O S H

There you go
That will be 4 dabloons please

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
A lot happened xD Both good and bad, but that's what life is. I left the big city (finally) and settled in a beautiful region with beautiful nature, good food and good people ! The **** economy made me start cultivating my own food too, and I loved it. With some elbow grease I grew a lot of veggies last year, which made us eat good and save a surprising lot of money. Can't wait for the winter to end and start my seedlings again :grinning:
All those years working my butt off in the big city paid off also. I am a homeowner ! It's been hectic but starting to settle in the new place, small steps.
I dunno what tomorrow will bring next, but we'll see in time

I'm glad the changes have been mostly for the better!

I missed people from back then and I'm happy to see some still around :heart:

I'm happy you're back, too. :D

It's also becoming more rare to find forums on the internet, even more active ones. I tried meeting people on Discord for a while but dropped it. The instant chat format is just too time and life consuming. Forum format is chill, you take time to read, to ponder, to talk to people.

I hear you. I've met a few long-term friends through Discord servers, but I no longer frequent those. Participating there is too much work, especially on servers with hundreds of members or more, and drama breaks out too often for my liking as activity grows.

I like real-time chats for smaller groups or one-on-one conversations, but for a whole server? A big nope.

A few years ago I hit a wall in my religion for a lot of reasons. What I had interest into and what I wanted to learn was inaccessible to me: because I'm a woman, because I'm white and because there are extremely few genuine lineages that are still alive in an ocean of con-artists and fake gurus. I ended up finding a legit teacher, only catch was that he is Buddhist, not Hindu. But I got accepted and treated the very same as a man or a tibetan person. No discrimation and equal opportunities to learn and grow ... So I jumped in and started everything over.
Long story short, it went very well since then. I took my vows and became an ordained ngakma, traveled to the US and France for rituals and retreats... Preparing to attend more in Nepal and also getting involved in learning traditional thangka painting as well as donating and taking care of nuns and refugee kids in India and Nepal. I also met my current teacher and completed a Dzogchen retreat, moved to Bön religion practices. Which wasn't very well received by some sangha people but I also decided to not care anymore about those opinions.
Spiritual life is good, fulfilling, but so busy now xD

That's quite the journey. You could certainly do a lot worse than Buddhism, in my opinion!

Have you been to Thich Nhat Hanh's Plum Village? And what do you think of him in general?

Politically and philosophically... Nothing much changed. I've always been saying that I didn't want to get involved in politics or "take a side" but apparently being anti-corruption and wanting fair and equal treatments for everyone to be happy, healthy and wealthy enough to life is being a leftist. So I guess I'm a leftist ? I don't know.

Some people seem to want to pigeonhole others so that they can make them "acceptable" politically instead of living with the fact that different people will always have different views. I think labels don't matter much (if at all) as long as one knows where they stand and what their values are, as you clearly do!

People with extreme left view tell me I'm not leftist enough for them, or whatever.

What kind of extreme-left view?

My political stance is more like finding the middle way. All that I know is that whatever political side you look at, there are almost only corrupt people. Current governement here is a perfect exemple of that... Macron is a disaster, but at the same time the left is too busy with petty internal fights to really be of importance. Shame. Feeling like France will not be far ending up with a far right president next and it's going to be an absolute ****show. x_x

I really hope that doesn't happen.

I recall that you were a gamer. Are you still one? If so, which games do you play?

exchemist

Veteran Member
What are your feelings on plantains?
I like them fried for breakfast. Something I have not had since my trips to Latin America in the 1990s. A bit like bananas but less sweet (which I like, not having much of a sweet tooth), and a more chewy, substantial texture. I don't know if I could get them here in London. Perhaps I should give it a try. How do you cook them? Just fry? Bake? If so for how long?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I like them fried for breakfast. Something I have not had since my trips to Latin America in the 1990s. A bit like bananas but less sweet (which I like, not having much of a sweet tooth), and a more chewy, substantial texture. I don't know if I could get them here in London. Perhaps I should give it a try. How do you cook them? Just fry? If so for how long?
I do like them fried, but its been awhile. Green and thinly sliced. I can't remember the exact time, but I liked them quite browned.

I made some yesterday that were boiled and mashed, with sauteed bell peppers and garlic dumped on top(served with a fried egg and hot sauce). I was skeptical upon reading the recipe, but that was really one of the better meals I've had in awhile! I loved it!

exchemist

Veteran Member
I do like them fried, but its been awhile. Green and thinly sliced. I can't remember the exact time, but I liked them quite browned.

I made some yesterday that were boiled and mashed, with sauteed bell peppers and garlic dumped on top(served with a fried egg and hot sauce). I was skeptical upon reading the recipe, but that was really one of the better meals I've had in awhile! I loved it!
Yes they were served quite brown in the hotels in Latin America I stayed in, I remember. I've had a look online and there are Caribbean style restaurants in London that serve them, apparently. So there must be markets where one can buy them. Maybe in Brixton, which is not far from where I live. Perhaps I should ask at mass on Sunday. We have quite a few African and Caribbean heritage parishioners. Somebody will know.