• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a Mormon! (Part Two)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Jeez, these threads grow too fast. I can't keep track of which questions aren't answered!

Anyone here being left hanging? Anyone like another Mormon's view of their question?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
*** MOD POST ***

PREACH THE NETT: The DIR forums are not the place for debate. They are likewise not the place to express opposing points of view. If you have a question, fine -- ask it. If you want to offer your opinion on Mormonism, please do so in one of the debate forums -- as per the rules of this website.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Preach,

As you have seen, I answered your questions, but since this looks like you are challenging the beliefs of the LDS Church, I would suggest you take it to one of the debate threads. This thread is specifcially a place for people to ask questions about the LDS Church.

Thanks.

:)

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
LOL. nice....:biglaugh: :bonk:

Anyone else seeing what was obvious to me with the first post?

I'll wait patiently.... Maybe a few more posts will make it more clear.

XAAX

Polaris said:
Yes, we believe that our President is the Lord's anointed prophet and as such is His mouthpiece for mankind.
Good questions.
Are you serious? If you are do you mean all groups of LDS or just certain ones share that view.

Bishka

Veteran Member
comprehend said:
LOL. nice....:biglaugh: :bonk:

Anyone else seeing what was obvious to me with the first post?

I'll wait patiently.... Maybe a few more posts will make it more clear.

I saw it, but I thought a post or so would help clear up some misconceptions from Preach. He is quite welcome to make a thread in the debate forum if he would like, but this is for questions. :)

XAAX

I really didn't realize i had switched guys. I had clicked one the original thread from the control pannel. My apologies..truly:sorry1:

Bishka

Veteran Member
PREACH THE NETT said:
Are you serious?

Yes, he is serious. We see the Prophet as the Lord's appointed messenger. If you have any other QUESTIONS, we'd be happy to answer them, but this is a DIR forum in which respect is held towards the religion in question, and no debating is allowed. We have several debate forums for that if you'd like

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyone like another Mormon's view of their question?
Yes. Why do Mormon's sacrifice baby koalas in their temple, and drink the blood of goats at every third dinner? :p

What do Mormons believe about the end times?

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Mister Emu said:
Yes. Why do Mormon's sacrifice baby koalas in their temple, and drink the blood of goats at every third dinner? :p

What do Mormons believe about the end times?

We only sacrifice baby koalas in the southern hemisphere temples, up north it's baby kittens and such.

Drinking the goats blood helps us grow horns and a tail which every good mormon must have.

The end times is a huge topic. do you have a more specific question or should I suggest about 10 books to read?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
We only sacrifice baby koalas in the southern hemisphere temples, up north it's baby kittens and such.
So dastardly! Baby koalas AND kittens!?

Drinking the goats blood helps us grow horns and a tail which every good mormon must have.
Ahh... understanding comes...

The end times is a huge topic. do you have a more specific question or should I suggest about 10 books to read?
10 books would be nice, but I have a bit on my reading plate right now...
How about a series of questions?
Do you believe in a rapture?

XAAX

I really am sorry guys. Still a little new to where I was at on the site. Will pay more attention next time. So I just ask without stating opinions on the subject. You believe that the president of the mormon religion is a prophet and never wrong? Or did I misunderstand that?

Bishka

Veteran Member
PREACH THE NETT said:
I really am sorry guys. Still a little new to where I was at on the site. Will pay more attention next time. So I just ask without stating opinions on the subject.

Pretty much yes. In this specific part of the forum. It's "Discuss Individual Religions." There are other places to debate and such, and this thread is basically a Q & A session for non-LDS

PREACH THE NETT said:
You believe that the president of the mormon religion is a prophet and never wrong? Or did I misunderstand that?

They've been wrong before. Brigham Young once stated that he thought that there people living on the moon. We obviously know this is false. There are certain times when the Prophet is not wrong, but there are some qualifiers for that.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Mister Emu said:
Do you believe in a rapture?
You know what? I'm not even 100% positive of what that means. It's a word I have never once heard in an LDS worship service.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Mister Emu said:
Care to elaborate?
Maybe :eek:

I'm not to learned in the subject. All I can give you at the moment without some research is that we don't believe in the 'rapture' idea that some fundamentalist Christians believe in.

Bishka

Veteran Member
If you are referring to the Millenium, I can give you a couple key points we believe:

• The ushering in of the Millennium will occur with the Second Coming of Christ
  • Christ will reign on earth for the space of a thousand years
  • In the Millenium, Satan will be bound and unable to tempt any person
There isn't any mention of the 'rapture' in any LDS services that I know of.

DeepShadow

White Crow
Preach, I understand and respect your position; it is, of course, a matter of faith (blind or seeing) in the end. That being said--and in keeping with the subject of this thread--I see only a few real questions here. I may have to address them one at a time.
1) Do we believe that God feels anger? Was he angry with Joseph Smith?
I'm not sure what scriptures you would cite to support your claim that he doesn't; I could offer several more (mostly from the Old Testament) that say that he does. But religion isn't a card game--"I'll see your apostle and raise you a disciple and a prophet." The real truth in the matter would have to come from the synthesis of two or more scriptures on the topic. Here's one to support God getting angry:
Ex. 4: 14 And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Moses, and he said, Is not Aaron the Levite thy brother? I know that he can speak well. And also, behold, he cometh forth to meet thee: and when he seeth thee, he will be glad in his heart.
And here's one to refute:
1 John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
So assuming that both of these are true, how can they not contradict each other? There are many interpretations, but here's one: God feels a deep disappointment when we squander our potential on dust. Like any parent, he wants the best for his children, and sometimes he chastens his children. This can sometimes be interpreted as anger (especially by the children, who often don't fully understand) but in reality it's an espression of love. This synthesis of love and chastening is well expressed in Isaiah:
27 For the fitches are not threshed with a threshing instrument, neither is a cart wheel turned about upon the cummin; but the fitches are beaten out with a staff, and the cummin with a rod.
28 Bread corn is bruised; because he will not ever be threshing it, nor break it with the wheel of his cart, nor bruise it with his horsemen.
29 This also cometh forth from the LORD of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working.

In other words, chastening from the Lord is according to the individual strength of the person receiving it. The Lord's anger at Moses (and, by comparison, with Joseph Smith), was merely a chastening so that Joseph could improve. And Joseph learned the lesson: he couldn't put another man's counsel above the guidance of the Lord. In this case, the chastening was perfectly suited to the person being chastened.