• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arrogancy

No*s

Captain Obvious
Keevelish, the tone in which you expressed this is exactly what makes them think that exclusivity is arrogant.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Wow, I'm glad that you guys basically worked it out. At the risk of opening up the can of worms again, I agree with all of you. I am generally of the belief that there are many paths up the mountain (tho some are a little more twisty than others). And of course it irks me when a person tells me that his path is the only path or someone else suggests that her path is better than mine. That does strike me as arrogant.

But I do agree with No*s (as I understand his argument) that there's a difference between what one believes and how one behaves. If one's faith says that it is the true path then one is going to believe that it is the true path. That's not arrogance; that's faith. And for someone to tell them that they mustn't believe what they do believe is the same as someone telling someone that they must believe what they don't believe. Real tolerance does not mean having to say that everything is equally true. (How many people really believe that?) Real tolerance means accepting that we believe contradictory things and that's ok. I'm not going to worry about the fact that exclusivism and inclusivism cannot logically both be right. It's just one more paradox out of many.

(This thread reminds me of a UU joke: the only thing that a UU can't tolerate is intolerance. :p)

Master Vigil

Keevelish, I agree with No's. The arrogancy seen is from someone declaring they know the right way, and belittling all other paths. Especially when no one knows for fact which way is right, some are better for some, and not as good for others. Don't be so objective in your views, open your mind a little.