• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you prepared to die?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Oh, yeah, rucksack packed. Only have to put on my shoes. It is supposed to be a long journey.
Where is the bucket that I am supposed to kick? :D
I am 80 and reasonably OK, Never had a serious illness except for a one-day episode about 10 years ago (Heart).
My stoic stance comes from my belief. After death I will be omni-present. My 7 quintillion atoms will wander far and wide in the world.
All these different religions have answers about the afterlife, and atheism doesn't. I am pretty sure that's because atheists never die. Checkmate Pascal.
Science gives the answer. You are right, each one of my atoms is eternal.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I'm a youngster compared to the majority of you RFers.

Occasionally, I'll see a member that seems awfully aware that they nearing the end.

Religion/spirituality is often used to assuage the fear that comes with death.

So, I ask you older religious folk this: has your religion/spiritual practice freed you from the fear of death? Are you ready to go as a result of your religious beliefs?

My lack of religion has freed me from any fear.
After I die, there is nothing to worry about.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So, I ask you older religious folk this: has your religion/spiritual practice freed you from the fear of death? Are you ready to go as a result of your religious beliefs?
I daily use a technique many Buddhists use, and that is to think of my own death and the death of my loved ones basically every day. Not to dwell on it but to be mentally prepared for that reality.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Occasionally, I'll see a member that seems awfully aware that they nearing the end.

Yes it has. That and the logic that it's inevitable. Any body. Any place. Any time. Don't be surprised.

Messianic Israelite

Hi Xavier Graham. Good afternoon. Isaiah 28:15 speaks of those who have made a covenant or agreement with death. Somehow, people think that in dying that will be it for them, that they won't come in to judgment for their sins which are transgressions against Yahweh's Law (1 John 3:4) or that death won't come to them. Eternal death is something that is a very serious possibility, and should frighten all. It frightens me. It's why I fear Yahweh, who is the giver of life. Eternal death is separation from the life giving power of Yahweh, forever and the prospect of not being able to learn, to laugh, to do anything, should be something that impels us to be serious about our salvation.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Fear? Of death? I have never thought of it till today. You reminded me.

I am a highly religious person. In my personal opinion that is. ;) But I would like to ask you if you do not mind, why did you think of "fear of death"? Especially since you are a youngster as you say. If this is too personal it's okay. I just would like to understand.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I'm ready to die, i just don't know if I'll ever be truly ready for the life post-humans have in store for us. I hope they do a good job where ever they decide to put me.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Oh, yeah, rucksack packed. Only have to put on my shoes. It is supposed to be a long journey.
Where is the bucket that I am supposed to kick? :D
I am 80 and reasonably OK, Never had a serious illness except for a one-day episode about 10 years ago (Heart).
My stoic stance comes from my belief. After death I will be omni-present. My 7 quintillion atoms will wander far and wide in the world.
Science gives the answer. You are right, each one of my atoms is eternal.
Aren't even atoms supposed to be pulled apart in the Big Rip or Heat Death of the universe?

PruePhillip

To be fair. There are many young people who embrace religion, not out of fear of death, but out of love for the Gospel and how it enriches their lives.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Indeed. If I die tomorrow .... Goodbye Liz *****.
Actually, Liz Truss gives me hope, paradoxically. She has proved beyond question to the country that the governing party is quite mad and out of both ideas and basic competence. And so fast! She is the end state we have to go through before they are all heaved out by the electorate, to rebuild in opposition. I think many Tories, in their heart of hearts, know this is what they need and want to be put out of their misery.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Actually, Liz Truss gives me hope, paradoxically. She has proved beyond question to the country that the governing party is quite mad and out of both ideas and basic competence. And so fast! She is the end state we have to go through before they are all heaved out by the electorate, to rebuild in opposition. I think many Tories, in their heart of hearts, know this is what they need and want to be put out of their misery.
I agree. I was praying (not literally) Truss would win the vote to be leader. I bumped into my former (Labour) MP on Saturday. He's quite hopeful - he said if Labour don't win against this appalling mad bunch then what would it take?

Shaul

Premium Member
I have no fear of death. But being 65 I am only middle aged since I hope to live to 120.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

I have more planned for my life; I don't want to die yet. There's a lot I can still accomplish to help others.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
So, I ask you older religious folk this: has your religion/spiritual practice freed you from the fear of death?
No, and I think it is good (for a man) to be aware of death at all times. Unfortunately we are biologically impaired from a proper awareness of it until we reach our mid 30's. Death is central to the way we think. We're always thinking about the meaning of our deaths and the measure of our lives.

Are you ready to go as a result of your religious beliefs?
Yes, but ready or not here I come.

Or to make that fear much worse. Have you ever heard of people who indulge in ecstatic visions of hell? They somehow go into a trance and visualize burning alive. Also some people do this accidentally. I knew someone who did. He was in seminary, but he kept having visions of himself burning in hell's fires. I, for one, would not like to have a vision of hell.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Fear? Of death? I have never thought of it till today. You reminded me.

I am a highly religious person. In my personal opinion that is. ;) But I would like to ask you if you do not mind, why did you think of "fear of death"? Especially since you are a youngster as you say. If this is too personal it's okay. I just would like to understand.
I think of fear of death because I've lost some people through death starting since I was a baby. Early memory of someone close dying across the room. So, perhaps I was introduced to it in my early development and it makes me fearful of death? I don't know, I'm not a psychiatrist.

I think I understood your question right?

firedragon

Veteran Member
I think of fear of death because I've lost some people through death starting since I was a baby. Early memory of someone close dying across the room. So, perhaps I was introduced to it in my early development and it makes me fearful of death? I don't know, I'm not a psychiatrist.

I think I understood your question right?

I understand Xavier. Thank you very much for responding to that question.