• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you prepared to die?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So, I ask you older religious folk this: has your religion/spiritual practice freed you from the fear of death? Are you ready to go as a result of your religious beliefs?
Sort of.

I have always been ready to go, since I was 16 at least.

But Buddhism does indeed teach us not to fear death. It is in fact strange that people fear death at all.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm a youngster compared to the majority of you RFers.

Occasionally, I'll see a member that seems awfully aware that they nearing the end.

Religion/spirituality is often used to assuage the fear that comes with death.

So, I ask you older religious folk this: has your religion/spiritual practice freed you from the fear of death? Are you ready to go as a result of your religious beliefs?
One thing you can bet on ─ the clock ticks down for us all.

As for friends and relatives dying, the younger they were, the greater the sadness, the sharper the awareness of the life not lived.

But as for us more vintage so-and-sos, while I can't think of a time when it would be convenient to die, I'm not fussed by the idea that it's going to happen. I recall a song I heard with the chorus:

And always remember the longer you live
The sooner you bl**dy-well die.
Many a true word ...

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Occasionally, I'll see a member that seems awfully aware that they nearing the end.

I'm always ready to die. It could happen at any second. I've known many who have passed on before me and I look forward to seeing some of them again, as well as seekng the Lord in His glory. I prefer not to die right now, though. I would feel very unaccomplished.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
As a conscious human I live to live.

I however notice my brother no matter what age is fixated on a subject word reference of death. About death... studies death by mans consciousness.

I learnt he either claims if you don't do as I say your answer is your death. Or I'll theory about death in scientific thesis pre told consciously that I'll cause it. Themed human criminal murderer thoughts. By chosen topic subject.

As sacrificed death. Which is humans early age death.

So young person are you fixated as an a...theist upon death yourself?

You know A alpha theist is a theist.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Aren't even atoms supposed to be pulled apart in the Big Rip or Heat Death of the universe?
If they will not exist as atoms, then also they will always exist as 'physical energy'. Even a black hole cannot gobble it nor even the heat-death.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
"Are you prepared to die"?

Why? Are you Inigo Montoya?

To paraphrase a couple of lines from Gladiator: 'Death? I'm looking forward to it.
But not yet. Not yet'.

(See that? Two movie quotes for the price of one)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

I’m not old, ya darn whippersnapper!! :p
But I feel ready for death.
In my family’s path, overcoming the fear of death is taught fairly early. It is but one stage in the journey, one that everyone faces. And to fear it is to give in to the “ego”
Something that Hindus try to avoid as best they can.
In my own path, such a thing is also an underlying “feature.”
In saying that, my father battled cancer for much of my childhood. So I grew up in hospital wards, more or less. So in many ways, that probably strengthened my resolve. I mean it creeped me out a lot too but still lol

exchemist

Veteran Member
I agree. I was praying (not literally) Truss would win the vote to be leader. I bumped into my former (Labour) MP on Saturday. He's quite hopeful - he said if Labour don't win against this appalling mad bunch then what would it take?
The problem they face is the Scot Nats, who have pinched so many of the seats Labour used to be able to rely on. But I feel sure they can if need be work out some sort of non-aggression pact with the Lib Dems, enough to see them home. Rachel Reeves is in her element at the moment. She's not the most inspiring politician but all she has to do is talk sense, in simple words and she comes over as a breath of fresh air and decency by comparison. Martin Wolf, in yesterday's Financial Times, concluded his demolition of Truss's hare-brained economic notions with: "They are mad, bad and dangerous. They have to go."

There's a real fin de siècle feel in the air now.

PureX

Veteran Member

You give religion too much credit.

Religions are just collections of tools that people can use to help them live their lives in accordance with their chosen theology. In the end, it would be their theology that determines how they respond to the idea of the end of their life, not religion.

Also, not all theists are religious theists. So it's not their religion that is helping them make peace with the inevitability of their death.

I have no real problem with the idea of my death. I am not afraid of it. I fear the suffering that may be involved in the process, and the loss of cognition, but the end itself is not a problem. I would like to live a lot longer than we humans do, because I like living and being a human (though certainly not 'forever'). But our lives need to have an end, to make room for new human beings. At least for now. Maybe some day when we can expand into the universe, we would no longer need die to make room for new humans to come into being. But for now, I am OK with my ending so that others can have a beginning.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

No, I'm not afraid to die, and being a Wiccan has nothing to do with my lack of fear regarding death. That being said, as a Christian, I was terrified of dying. Despite being a devout Christian and a genuine believer in God, I had always feared dying in unrepentant sin and going to hell. However, I'm not a Christian anymore, and that old fear no longer scares me. I no longer believe in heaven or hell, so I don't believe that the spirit world is confined to a static place and that it is restrained by the laws of time and space. As a medium and a spiritualist, I no longer have a deep-seated fear of death because I believe that I have a fairly good idea of what happens to human spirits in the afterlife. I do, however, wonder how I will die and if I will choose to or be able to crossover into the spirit world.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser

Yes and no.

Edit: I do not fear death, but am not eager to see the final curtain. If I could find immortality, I would try to live forever. :hourglass:

Of course you’ll be missed. The world will go on as it always has, but it won’t be quite the same world without you.

View attachment 67167

You can't stop me from pretending, for protection! :cool:

Last edited: