• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you afraid of letting strangers live in your home?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have had one or few bad experiences with people i don't know getting to close and i have a responsibility for my children's safety so no, i wouldn't invite a strange in to the house.

That said, if they were in need of a roof over their head i would make phone calls for them and possibly drive them to a shelter.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
I chosen to add this in the religious debate because i do believe non belivers and believer alike will answer differently (maybe) or maybe i am wrong :confused:

But, Are you afraid of letting a stranger in to your home if you know it is a homeless person? Does it matter what social status the person have?
Does it matter if the person have a religious belief or not?

(please be nice to people who may disagree with your own views )

Dear Conscious thoughts,

I have done this once. Well, not live here on permanent basis (I haven’t the space) but stay temporarily, rather.

I’d describe him as agnostic.

It was a good experience. We are still friends today, the homeless man and I.

He is still homeless however.

Humbly
Hermit

RestlessSoul

I wouldn’t be inviting a stranger to come and live with me, no. That’s not a level of compassion and love for my fellow travellers on the journey of life, that I’m anywhere near ready to make. But I have utmost respect for anyone able and willing to live by those sort of principles.

The same applies to giving away all my worldly goods and living a life of simple poverty. Just can’t do it I’m afraid. Again, utmost respect for anyone who does, regardless of their beliefs.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I chosen to add this in the religious debate because i do believe non belivers and believer alike will answer differently (maybe) or maybe i am wrong :confused:

But, Are you afraid of letting a stranger in to your home if you know it is a homeless person? Does it matter what social status the person have?

Afraid? No. I’m not even sure why one might be afraid with regard to religion or social status.

But does this homeless person practice good hygiene (the best they can for their given situation)? Because I tend toward being a germaphobe and a clean freak. A homeless person that has no regard for personal cleanliness or the health or safety of others would give me pause.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Afraid? No. I’m not even sure why one might be afraid with regard to religion or social status.

But does this homeless person practice good hygiene (the best they can for their given situation)? Because I tend toward being a germaphobe and a clean freak. A homeless person that has no regard for personal cleanliness or the health or safety of others would give me pause.
Would he or she be allowed to use your shower:) so the could clean up

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Would he or she be allowed to use your shower:) so the could clean up

After I posted, I considered that what I do would depend on the person and the circumstances.

I really can’t offer a generalized statement for all homeless people.

So in certain cases, I may. In others, I may not.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
After I posted, I considered that what I do would depend on the person and the circumstances.

I really can’t offer a generalized statement for all homeless people.

So in certain cases, I may. In others, I may not.
The only thing I tell someone i take in to my home is that, as long they say they are not allowed to use drugs, alcohol or smoke indoor. But if they do come home Stone, or drunk they can sleep it off as long i am home.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Not everyone on the internet is a hypocrite.
Kindly note my words, I said 'can be'. Yeah, what you say is true. I try to be bitingly honest in my posts. :)

Then Conscious Thoughts, I am a family man. Wife, son, his wife, two grand-children. I cannot impose a stranger on them. I would not mind helping him in other ways.

Colt

"Be you as wise as serpents but harmless as doves".

Religious people can be very naïve, living in the land of spiritual make-believe. Reality sucks but its the only place to get a hot meal!

Yoshua

This question may have nothing to do with beliefs or faith instead this is a very practical question that needs a practical answer. Since I'm handling the security in my work, I don't like strangers in my house.

Thanks

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

No because common sense should tell you that you don't know the person, you don't know what that person can or might do. One has a brain so, there are of course alternatives by how you can help a stranger which would be a much wiser choice.

A Vestigial Mote

I would not a let a stranger stay in my home, no. I would need to have some amount of knowledge of them, and experience with them in order to make a judgment on trust. Evidence, in other words - I need evidence that I am not making a huge mistake. In my experience, too many people don't care about others very much. It is actually harder to find someone who genuinely does. I may try to help in other ways - but I am not going to let them be around my family while they (and I) are sleeping.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I was friends with someone in a group home who would have probably have better state of mind if he were homeless rather than living with criminals. I used to visit him a lot not really knowing in my teens that regardless his living status, where he was living was dangerous.

Likewise, it really has nothing to do with whether one is homeless in and of itself. However, if their homelessness and/or other factors like his home make people in danger to others, no. It is sad to relate homeless and group into it, but over here, many people are dangerous "because" of their situation. I think many people would if they didn't have stereotypes that "all" homeless are this or that. But I do believe being homeless isn't a reason for one to be charitable in regards to one's safety. Instead, like anyone else, get to know the person. Sometimes people just want to talk without people judging them. When I was out traveling to school and such I spoke with homeless once in a blue moon. One guy he took a break from pandhandling for a living and then after we talked, he says he's saving up money to get a motel stay (once a year) and he needed to do his work. So we parted.

Would I invite him into my home, no. Not because he is homeless but because I don't know him. Would I invite a rich person, no. Not because they are rich but because I wouldn't know them.

I wish homeless wasn't a factor in who you invite in your home. I think it would be a factor if you're offering a place to stay, giving food, things of that nature if appropriate, but if it's just inviting in and of itself, that homeless person would probably want you to invite them as a friend not because they are homeless.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think it is like being a life guard. Sometimes you swim out to save someone, but they panic mindlessly trying to use you as a flotation device. Sometimes this happens to drowning people who cannot help what they are doing, and they will grab you and drown both of you in panic, not consciously. When that panic happens you, a lifeguard, must let yourself sink, so that they release you. The panicking person will mindlessly release you since you are no longer floating. You wait for the panicked person to tire, and then you can drag them back to dry land.

A homeless person may, analogous to a panicking swimmer, be in a state of desperation. They may not value your life or your feelings. They may be willing to pull you down, mindlessly, not thinking clearly; or they may be ready to go back to dry land. They may allow you to pull them to shore. Then it is safe to decide to save them, but that is a decision you make at your own risk.

True story 100% for me. It was co-dependency. But it was hard because a lot of things he said were true and I experienced them myself but it put a dent on my mental health that I haven't fully overcame. It was like both of us siting in a life raft and knowing I can swim and he cannot, I can either try to carrying him with me or make a choice to swim on my own. I think if I knew him like a husband (if that were appropriate), maybe I would have stayed...but as a friend and needing to put mental boundaries between myself and him, it is much more difficult especially when he didn't put me in physical harm.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I have been homeless before my self so this maybe why i more let people in to my home, i know how much it means to them.

Yeah. My brother has been homeless since we had a big crash in our economy in early 90s and many people lost their jobs. I think he's going through psychosis and a lot of family issues that out of all of us, he got it the worst. Would I invite him into my home, yes and no. Yes because he is my brother and no because of safety. Instead, I would help him get the mental health care he needs, give him money if need be, but if his mental status was to where it puts myself and him in danger, he would be better getting professional treatment than my offering him a home where he get worse than anything else I could provide him.

It also depends on where you live too. Most homeless I talk to just want to talk without being judged. But they do have backgrounds so you kinda have to separate that. This is America, though. I'm not sure of other countries. I read they were a bit more hospitable to the homeless. Not sure if its because our economies are different but we still do have a lot of prejudice. I don't believe it's a spiritual conflict but an economical and political one.

Vee

Premium Member

I'm always very careful about who I let into my house. The world is full of people with bad intentions, and unfortunately that's not written in their foreheads. I've had people over who were friends of friends who came for a meal or a drink and everything was fine, but living here or staying over when I'm not at home? No. I would need to know the person well before trusting them to that extent.