• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you afraid of letting strangers live in your home?

Here comes into play the quality of one's sanctum. Bad ones attract filth while fabulous ones are good at repelling anything intrusive. Almost like gravity.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I guess, at this point, some old curmudgeon should present some insights from the ancient world:

Living with roommates used to be the norm for young adults just leaving home. They were easy to find. School or heath food store bulletin boards, community kiosks or underground papers were full of roommate wanted ads. One just called them up, hitch-hiked over to their pads, (that used to be a normal mode of travel), and checked out the accommodations. Easy-peasy.

I was once invited to move into a commune in a casual conversation with a perfect stranger, listening to folk music in a coffee house. Seemed perfectly normal, at the time.

People didn't used to be scared of each other, and everyone carrying guns? Inconceivable!

What happened?

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
I chosen to add this in the religious debate because i do believe non belivers and believer alike will answer differently (maybe) or maybe i am wrong :confused:

But, Are you afraid of letting a stranger in to your home if you know it is a homeless person? Does it matter what social status the person have?
Does it matter if the person have a religious belief or not?

(please be nice to people who may disagree with your own views )

The problem is brother a stranger is a stranger, homeless or not. So letting a stranger into your home is a completely different thing to consider. This question seems like a false dichotomy to me. But you could of course make me understand what you mean.

A. A homeless person would defer in definition from country to country. In many countries there are no homeless persons. You get beggars and they are called beggars in some countries. And you should know that beggars are part of a huge mafia and organised begging with business networks, corrupt politicians, and a multimillion dollar revenue stream. In this case, only the ignorant think they are good, innocent people who are poor but the researchers know the depth of it, how much money they make and how a person not involved in their mafia are never allowed to beg anywhere. In another country they are called homeless which is not an organised crime syndicate but just homeless, while most are on welfare and they are just good people. Sometimes these homeless can be more genuine than a so called well-to-do.

B. Stranger is a stranger be it homeless, beggar, or anything else. That is a completely different ballgame. What do you mean "letting a stranger into your home"? Is that just some stranger you see somewhere, no clue who it is?

Peace.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The problem is brother a stranger is a stranger, homeless or not. So letting a stranger into your home is a completely different thing to consider. This question seems like a false dichotomy to me. But you could of course make me understand what you mean.

A. A homeless person would defer in definition from country to country. In many countries there are no homeless persons. You get beggars and they are called beggars in some countries. And you should know that beggars are part of a huge mafia and organised begging with business networks, corrupt politicians, and a multimillion dollar revenue stream. In this case, only the ignorant think they are good, innocent people who are poor but the researchers know the depth of it, how much money they make and how a person not involved in their mafia are never allowed to beg anywhere. In another country they are called homeless which is not an organised crime syndicate but just homeless, while most are on welfare and they are just good people. Sometimes these homeless can be more genuine than a so called well-to-do.

B. Stranger is a stranger be it homeless, beggar, or anything else. That is a completely different ballgame. What do you mean "letting a stranger into your home"? Is that just some stranger you see somewhere, no clue who it is?

Peace.
A stranger can be everything from a homeless person who normally live on the street, to someone who need a place to stay because of something happend so their home was damaged or burned down.
Or it can be a traveller who need a place to stay for a night before continue the journey.

The reason of the OP is because also here in Norway people are so scared of helping those in need (something that is strange to me)

firedragon

Veteran Member
A stranger can be everything from a homeless person who normally live on the street, to someone who need a place to stay because of something happend so their home was damaged or burned down.
Or it can be a traveller who need a place to stay for a night before continue the journey.

The reason of the OP is because also here in Norway people are so scared of helping those in need (something that is strange to me)

Brother. Thats a false dichotomy you are posing in my opinion. Maybe people are so scared to let a stranger into a home to spend nights inside their house where their kids and family sleep. That does not mean "people are so scared to help". You can help someone without putting them inside your house.

All of this has to be on a case by case basis. It is subjective. Norway will be different to the U.S, and both will be different to South Africa. All of them would be different to South America. And South Asia will be very different to all of them.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Brother. Thats a false dichotomy you are posing in my opinion. Maybe people are so scared to let a stranger into a home to spend nights inside their house where their kids and family sleep. That does not mean "people are so scared to help". You can help someone without putting them inside your house.

All of this has to be on a case by case basis. It is subjective. Norway will be different to the U.S, and both will be different to South Africa. All of them would be different to South America. And South Asia will be very different to all of them.
I am aware there is many factors about this topic. I honestly did not know i had to point them out so spesific :confused:
But feel free to answer the way you feel the OP can be answered in your own opinion, from your point of view :)

Art1787

I chosen to add this in the religious debate because i do believe non belivers and believer alike will answer differently (maybe) or maybe i am wrong :confused:

But, Are you afraid of letting a stranger in to your home if you know it is a homeless person? Does it matter what social status the person have?

Yes, I am afraid to let people into my home, rich or poor, homeowner or homeless, rich or poor. I have to know the person well -- usually -- before I invite him into my home.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I am aware there is many factors about this topic. I honestly did not know i had to point them out so spesific :confused:
But feel free to answer the way you feel the OP can be answered in your own opinion, from your point of view :)

This is a post I believe one could only respond to arbitrarily. Nevertheless, I think a stranger is a stranger, homeless or not. I get this strange idea in my head that the homeless maybe more trustworthy than those who we may call by some other name. But hey, now is that a prejudice? I mean to think that the homeless maybe more trustworthy? Is that some kind of reverse discrimination?

Bottomline is, I will never let a stranger sleep inside my home. I have been told to help the wayfarer. If someone needs a place to stay I will help. If I know that person, and know that he or she could be trusted, I will let them stay in my house. But a complete stranger?? No way.

But hey. How about you?? You are a stranger to me. I dont know you. But you seem like a nice guy. I will allow you in my home.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This is a post I believe one could only respond to arbitrarily. Nevertheless, I think a stranger is a stranger, homeless or not. I get this strange idea in my head that the homeless maybe more trustworthy than those who we may call by some other name. But hey, now is that a prejudice? I mean to think that the homeless maybe more trustworthy? Is that some kind of reverse discrimination?

Bottomline is, I will never let a stranger sleep inside my home. I have been told to help the wayfarer. If someone needs a place to stay I will help. If I know that person, and know that he or she could be trusted, I will let them stay in my house. But a complete stranger?? No way.

But hey. How about you?? You are a stranger to me. I dont know you. But you seem like a nice guy. I will allow you in my home.
You are always welcome in my home too @firedragon, I have a feeling discussions could be interesting face to face :)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Are you afraid of letting a stranger in to your home if you know it is a homeless person?
NO

BUT:
1) I do not own/bought a house, I rent it
2) I am 'poor' and I have no valuables
3) I am alone, so no family responsibilities

SO:
It's easy to say for someone who is poor, and does not own the house, and does not have a wife and children, that he is not worried to let a stranger in 'his' house. After all there is 'nothing' to be taken away from a 'poor' guy.

But the moment I would 'own' the above 3 things, we have a totally different situation, and I can't know IF I would give the same answer

NO

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack

Consider my house like a restaurant... I will invite them in for a meal but not a place to stay.

We Never Know

No Slack

I've had this happen several times....

I go to into town to the stores. There is someone standing in the entrance with a sign that reads "hungry haven't eaten in days. Please donate".

I go in and do my shopping and pick up extra things such a bread, lunch meat, cheese, chips, etc. Bag it separately and on my way out stop and hand it out to them.

They say what's is that.
I say its food.
They say can you just give me a few bucks instead
I say if you're hungry here's food. If you want money get a job.
They eventually take the food.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've had this happen several times....

I go to into town to the stores. There is someone standing in the entrance with a sign that reads "hungry haven't eaten in days. Please donate".

I go in and do my shopping and pick up extra things such a bread, lunch meat, cheese, chips, etc. Bag it separately and on my way out stop and hand it out to them.

They say what's is that.
I say its food.
They say can you just give me a few bucks instead
I say if you're hungry here's food. If you want money get a job.
They eventually take the food.

We have a lady in the area that is always begging... sometimes she goes door to door. She came to our door one day and asked for diapers for her grandbaby. Her face dropped when I said "Yes, I do. Hold on, I'll grab some." I returned with some diapers, and she said they were too big. I told her to fold the top down, and they'd work fine. "Don't you have any money?" I had my son hand her 50 cents. "Don't you got ten dollars?" Nope, sure don't! Shooting me one nasty look, she took her leave.

She will beg for rides, too. She's got a trick up her sleeve with that, as we learned from some friends of ours. She has you take her someplace close, and then refuses to leave your car until you give her money. They gave her money... I'd have taken her to the police station.

Clara Tea

Foreign exchange students might be okay.

I hired drug addicts to help me repair my home. Starting with my cancer pain medication, they stole virtually everything of value, right down to underwear and stainless steel spoons, and ceramic bowls.

One person that I hired had a track record of violent attacks (once on a police officer and his car, once on an elderly man that he took care of, once on his girlfriend, etc). He was controlling and abusive. If he felt that he could hurt me in some way, he would do it.

Nice people can be tolerated, and mean people can't be.

We Never Know

No Slack
I guess, at this point, some old curmudgeon should present some insights from the ancient world:

Living with roommates used to be the norm for young adults just leaving home. They were easy to find. School or heath food store bulletin boards, community kiosks or underground papers were full of roommate wanted ads. One just called them up, hitch-hiked over to their pads, (that used to be a normal mode of travel), and checked out the accommodations. Easy-peasy.

I was once invited to move into a commune in a casual conversation with a perfect stranger, listening to folk music in a coffee house. Seemed perfectly normal, at the time.

People didn't used to be scared of each other, and everyone carrying guns? Inconceivable!

What happened?

You're right. Used to people would even stop and give hitchhikers rides. That doesn't happen much any more. Things have sure changed.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Consevatives are fearful, they see others as potential threats. Strangers are dangerous.
Liberals are sociable, they see others as potential friends. Strangers are interesting.

Conservatives believe they're being realistic and practical.
Liberals believe their idealism is progressive and of long-term benefit to all.

Looking back historically, all the social progress that made America great and prosperous was promoted by the liberals and vigorously opposed by the conservatives.
Fear and conservatism leads to stagnation or Fascism.