• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are You A Collector?

james bond

Are you a collector? What do you collect?

I collect religious books, comic books, and knives.

My family loves to collect. My mom, bless her dear departed soul now, collected antiques, art, jewelry, and old money. She kept the stuff I collected as a kid (only child) and I recently made big money selling my Marvel and DC comic books bought for 10 and 12 cents from the silver age. That turned out to be a nice investment. I would've kept them had my son wanted them. Also, I collected movie posters and they turned out to fun to collect, but costly in terms of framing and space in the house. I started selling them because it's not that much fun if you have to keep it in a cabinet or tube most of the time. I thought it could be an investment, but wouldn't recommend it as such. The people who make money on it got their vintage posters for a low cost or free. Basically, collecting is for fun and as a hobby. It's not for investment I guess unless one gets in early.

What kind of religious books do you collect? I also collect stamps, but I got into it from my older cousins. They gave me their collection and I hope to give it back to them. Maybe we can sell it together if they went up in value. I think knives are interesting. I just sharpen old knives and sell them. It's just fun to find old knives and restore them again. Not very expensive.

I do collect art for investment, but not all pan out. I think it's better to collect for fun and what you like as it may not always turn out. That is what I've found. George Lucas will open his narrative museum this year, so that may drive up interest in narrative art collecting. That includes comic books.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I collect historical weapons and buy, sell, and trade them as it strikes me. My current interest is in the Zulu wars, recently bought an original 1800s or so assegai, wanted the shield he had but it was in pretty poor condition.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I don't know.
To compare them might earn more warnings.
We aren't supposed to discuss moderation.

I always practice moderation....don't you? It is a good thing to discuss.....excesses are frowned upon where I live. (but only by a minority) :rolleyes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I always practice moderation....don't you? It is a good thing to discuss.....excesses are frowned upon where I live. (but only by a minority) :rolleyes:
You're a wicked wicked person.
You know what I mean by "moderation"!

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member

I collect coins, rocks, Jewish books, old junk (though this is already moving toward pack-rat territory...). I also have a tiny collection of Israeli-weapon bullets...

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I collect historical weapons and buy, sell, and trade them as it strikes me. My current interest is in the Zulu wars, recently bought an original 1800s or so assegai, wanted the shield he had but it was in pretty poor condition.

Perhaps you already know all this (or have read it) but the book Zulu Rising by Ian Knight is well worth a read - (about 700 pages though):

Zulu Rising by Ian Knight

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
I also collect foreign currency.
I had dreams of amassing the world's most impressive collection of U.S. currency, but alas, that has not come pass. I hear Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos have nice collections though. You would think they would help me with my collection, since I helped them with theirs.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I collect Roman artifacts,

A collection of 60s and 70s LPs, courtesy of my dad

I used to collect books, no specific genre. Had to get rid of most of them when we moved

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
I have some stuff laying around but I wouldn't call it collecting. I buy LPs to listen, books and comix to read, (old) tools and medieval stuff to use. I used to play MTG and just keep the cards. I keep empty whisky bottles to remember which ones I already had.