• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we all created equal?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
We dont need to be equal in certain senses, it's only important to be one even grounds.
What's equally important is to highlight the strengths and weaknesses of each person as well and note that without those qualities we cannot function as a society.

MikeF

Premium Member
What's equally important is to highlight the strengths and weaknesses of each person as well and note that without those qualities we cannot function as a society.
I would agree with this sentiment whole-heartedly. My concern is to what extent should that difference affect ones ability to meet their needs and exercise their potential to the fullest if they desire.

ecco

Veteran Member
And whether Jefferson is a moron, a hypocrite, or an artichoke is irrelevant to the question in that we are all created equal.
His thoughts on all being created equally are completely relevant.

Certainly more relevant than either your or my thoughts.

We are all human, and that should be enough.
Enough for what? Enough to be considered and treated equally? How can you expect the same things from a person with a mental disability or physical disability or some sort of economic handicap as someone who does not have these same disadvantages? The same rules and expectations and requirements and fees and whatever do not seem to work out well if they are universally applied to people without taking into consideration their real circumstances and differences, which are often due to the conditions with which they were born or into which they were born and not their fault, responsibility, or within their control to determine or change.

Tambourine

Enough for what? Enough to be considered and treated equally? How can you expect the same things from a person with a mental disability or physical disability or some sort of economic handicap as someone who does not have these same disadvantages? The same rules and expectations and requirements and fees and whatever do not seem to work out well if they are universally applied to people without taking into consideration their real circumstances and differences, which are often due to the conditions with which they were born or into which they were born and not their fault, responsibility, or within their control to determine or change.
You read a lot into a single sentence.

In the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson wrote, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, ...”.

Was Thomas Jefferson correct in stating that we are all created equal? Equal in what way? If not, should we rethink the Constitution?

We are all just dust in the wind, as Kansas put it, so yes all life is equally pointless.

Since people are without value, does their suffering while they exist become something that should be disregarded, since they all end up in the big trash heap of pointless, fleeting, whatever, etc?

I am sorry if that is the way you see the World, that is rather bleak. We may not have inherent value, but that frees us to make life whatever we want, which means any perceived differences of equality is just that perceived by standards we invented. Jefferson's quote in the OP says "created equal", so since life has no inherent meaning or value, yes we are all created equal.

I am sorry if that is the way you see the World, that is rather bleak. We may not have inherent value, but that frees us to make life whatever we want, which means any perceived differences of equality is just that perceived by standards we invented. Jefferson's quote in the OP says "created equal", so since life has no inherent meaning or value, yes we are all created equal.
I'm having difficulty understanding, if it isn't too much trouble, could you try to elaborate more on that and explain yourself further? You said "I am sorry that is the way you see the world" but it isn't that I said I see the world that way, it was my trying to understand what you are saying, since you said "dust in the wind" and "equally pointless", not me. I was trying to understand what you are saying and also asking you a question in there. I still don't seem to really be understanding what you are saying, since you said "dust in the wind" "equally pointless" "perceived differences are perceived by standards we invented" "created equal", its not computing. What exactly are you saying? I asked then something which meant "if the end is pointless, and its all just perceived blah blah, should the suffering of individuals be disregarded, including suffering based on ignoring supposed inequality factors?".

Actually, they said "All we are is dust in the wind", not "We are all just dust in the wind".

It's pretty much a pointless equivocation.

He never quoted them though, and the distinction makes you out to be a really annoying person for picking on them for that. What is your point? You just like being irritating or it was very important to you that the lyrics were written out exactly as the band Kansas sung them (or are you going to say that "the band didn't actually sing the lyrics, but such and such specific singers did, not the whole band), even though it was pretty easy to understand what line they were referring to. I don't know, sounded like unnecessarily nitpicking the person's comment. The main thrust of what they were saying is "all life is equally pointless, like dust in the wind, reminiscent of the Kansas song lyric). Then I said that if all life is equally pointless, does that mean the suffering people go through (due to things like inequality) should be ignored or disregarded and aren't worth looking into or trying to balance and help with? Then they said some other stuff which was sort of weird sounding to me in relation to the "all life is equally pointless" thing, but much more pointless and irritating to me is someone coming along and fussing about some minor difference in how they referred to some lyric.

ecco

Veteran Member
Actually, they said "All we are is dust in the wind", not "We are all just dust in the wind".

It's pretty much a pointless equivocation.
He never quoted them though, and the distinction makes you out to be a really annoying person for picking on them for that.
What is your point? You just like being irritating or it was very important to you that the lyrics were written out exactly as the band Kansas sung them (or are you going to say that "the band didn't actually sing the lyrics, but such and such specific singers did, not the whole band), even though it was pretty easy to understand what line they were referring to. I don't know, sounded like unnecessarily nitpicking the person's comment. The main thrust of what they were saying is "all life is equally pointless, like dust in the wind, reminiscent of the Kansas song lyric). Then I said that if all life is equally pointless, does that mean the suffering people go through (due to things like inequality) should be ignored or disregarded and aren't worth looking into or trying to balance and help with? Then they said some other stuff which was sort of weird sounding to me in relation to the "all life is equally pointless" thing, but much more pointless and irritating to me is someone coming along and fussing about some minor difference in how they referred to some lyric.

Did you not notice the self-effacing: "It's pretty much a pointless equivocation."

Did I really need to also put a winky in my post.

You really need to lighten up.

Did you not notice the self-effacing: "It's pretty much a pointless equivocation."

Did I really need to also put a winky in my post.

You really need to lighten up.

So you're telling me that you wrote that all because something was in your eye and you had one eye shut while writing it? Yeah, I can't see through the screen (is there a button for that?), I had no idea without a "winky" that you had one eye shut while harassing the person about the lyric. I'm not sure what difference that makes though? What would the Popeye aspect have altered?

What the person wrote seemed to make sense to me at least. The thread is about equality or something, the person said something seemingly meaning "all people are equal in their pointlessness like dust in the wind", so that seemed to mean that they believed that people were equal and equally without any way to determine their value or differences overall since they are all just as random and arbitrary seeming as dust (maybe like what got into your eye or winky), and thus they can be said to be equal and created even with that same equally arbitrary process of randomness or whatever.

So then I, heroically, tried to ask them a question about their beliefs, which was that if all is equally pointless, does that mean the suffering people claim is due to the differences or disregard to their differences and handicaps and inequality be ignored since it has no value or point and is without worth?

Then they were saying something about, everyone is free with their perceptions or something, and they lost me, I don't know what they are saying really, and then you came in, eye blazing with some kind of humor (is that what you're claiming? It is what I'd do too if I had been caught being annoying, as I often am), and said in the Simpson's Comic Book Guy voice "Actually, its not that lyric, but this lyric, and you made a false eekweevokashe'own".

ecco

Veteran Member
So you're telling me that you wrote that all because something was in your eye and you had one eye shut while writing it? Yeah, I can't see through the screen (is there a button for that?), I had no idea without a "winky" that you had one eye shut while harassing the person about the lyric. I'm not sure what difference that makes though? What would the Popeye aspect have altered?

What the person wrote seemed to make sense to me at least. The thread is about equality or something, the person said something seemingly meaning "all people are equal in their pointlessness like dust in the wind", so that seemed to mean that they believed that people were equal and equally without any way to determine their value or differences overall since they are all just as random and arbitrary seeming as dust (maybe like what got into your eye or winky), and thus they can be said to be equal and created even with that same equally arbitrary process of randomness or whatever.

So then I, heroically, tried to ask them a question about their beliefs, which was that if all is equally pointless, does that mean the suffering people claim is due to the differences or disregard to their differences and handicaps and inequality be ignored since it has no value or point and is without worth?

Then they were saying something about, everyone is free with their perceptions or something, and they lost me, I don't know what they are saying really, and then you came in, eye blazing with some kind of humor (is that what you're claiming? It is what I'd do too if I had been caught being annoying, as I often am), and said in the Simpson's Comic Book Guy voice "Actually, its not that lyric, but this lyric, and you made a false eekweevokashe'own".
Duh!