• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are the 10 commandments "truth" ?

Rex

Founder
A weird conversation on my philosophy class.

10 Commandments are commands.

Commands can neither be true or false but can be useful and not useful.

Thus

The 10 commandments are not true nor false but usefull as a guide..

Rex

Founder
Lightkeeper said:
If they are not true or false, do you have to follow them? I do believe they are useful guides.
Well most people claim the bible is "truth" , but a command isn't. So can you call the bible "truth" ?

Lightkeeper

That would depend on how much of it is commands, I guess If we are following this line of reasoning not all of the Bible is truth.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Well most people claim the bible is "truth" , but a command isn't. So can you call the bible "truth" ?

It is the true word of God written through man's hand

Not all the Bible is commands, infact almost all of it is a history.

standing_on_one_foot

Well, no, it's not truth in that sense. It's what you're supposed to do. You can argue about whether or not it's true that you need to follow them, but as it's not a statement, I don't see how you could call it true or false, anymore than you could call, say, "Does God exist?" true or false.

Rex

Founder
standing_on_one_foot said:
Well, no, it's not truth in that sense. It's what you're supposed to do. You can argue about whether or not it's true that you need to follow them, but as it's not a statement, I don't see how you could call it true or false, anymore than you could call, say, "Does God exist?" true or false.
I know I know. I was just telling about my philosophy class today.. I thought it was interesting.

Scott1

The 10 commandments are not true nor false but usefull as a guide..
Interesting point if you are debating the word itself, but the commandments (as used in the context of the Bible) are a little bit more than just a list of instructions:

2058 The "ten words" sum up and proclaim God's law: "These words the Lord spoke to all your assembly at the mountain out of the midst of the fire, the cloud, and the thick darkness, with a loud voice; and he added no more. And he wrote them upon two tables of stone, and gave them to me."19 For this reason these two tables are called "the Testimony." In fact, they contain the terms of the covenant concluded between God and his people. These "tables of the Testimony" were to be deposited in "the ark."20 2059 The "ten words" are pronounced by God in the midst of a theophany ("The LORD spoke with you face to face at the mountain, out of the midst of the fire."21). They belong to God's revelation of himself and his glory. The gift of the Commandments is the gift of God himself and his holy will. In making his will known, God reveals himself to his people.

2060 The gift of the commandments and of the Law is part of the covenant God sealed with his own. In Exodus, the revelation of the "ten words" is granted between the proposal of the covenant22 and its conclusion - after the people had committed themselves to "do" all that the Lord had said, and to "obey" it.23 The Decalogue is never handed on without first recalling the covenant ("The LORD our God made a covenant with us in Horeb.").24

It was a bit more than "usefull commands"...... it was God....... a in your face kinda thing that might make you think they were a bit more than polite suggestions! :)

Peace,
Scott

Adrianay

The word is truth and living and sharper than any two edged sword able to peirce the divisions of bone and marrow, soul and spirit. The ten comandments are the truth. The word is truth. Its power!

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
as we all know today, its more judged on a case by case. if i had to kill someone because they were threataning me, i would certainly do it, not with intention. or i might intend to kill them because they are harming me or my loved ones. like a robber in the middle of the night or something romantic like so.

lies and adultry are also based on case by case. morality is a flexible thing, something debatable. i can white lie, a girl is fat, but im asked for her opinion and i say she look awesome in that dress as not to hurt her feelings. a rape wouldnt count as adultry cuz it wasnt mutual.

on and on and on.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
If they are not truth, ( the commandments)why is it they are so impressed upon each and everyone's heart , ( conscience)some are just abit more sensitive to them then those who have found them self to be desensitized, the fact remains, it is a standard of truth inherently imposed upon all mankind regardless of our personal philosopies and intellectual concepts of this issue

Eg :why do we normally not steal, kill, lie, the law and it's consequences give us some deterent, but it is our conscience that brings it home, that it is wrong,
The question is when you violate this standard what are the consequences and when do the consequences come into play, remembering the law of cause and effect , reaping and sowing,

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Gerani1248 said:
as we all know today, its more judged on a case by case. if i had to kill someone because they were threataning me, i would certainly do it, not with intention. or i might intend to kill them because they are harming me or my loved ones. like a robber in the middle of the night or something romantic like so.

lies and adultry are also based on case by case. morality is a flexible thing, something debatable. i can white lie, a girl is fat, but im asked for her opinion and i say she look awesome in that dress as not to hurt her feelings. a rape wouldnt count as adultry cuz it wasnt mutual.

on and on and on.

I guess Gerani has a relative mindset there are no absolutes and wrong and right are based on situational circustances,

roli-- Is genocide immoral?

Didn't God command the Israelites in the Old Testament to commit genocide?

So was God acting immoral then, or are there certain cultural, historical, or philosophical circumstances which made genocide "moral" in that situation?

Is it immoral to work on the Sabbath? Is it immoral to eat shellfish? A lot of morality changes in the Bible, particularly from the Old to the New Testament, so I'm not sure how you can argue that right and wrong are not based on situational circumstances.

precept

Not only are the ten commandments "truth"; but they form the foundation for all civilizations. Every civilization teach respect for parents...every civilization will punish with death crimes of murder....every civilization will punish the crime of theft...every civilization will punish the one guilty of falsehood....Yet these civilizations may or may not acknowledge God as the Author of their code of moral behaviour. Is it mere coincidence that all of human civilizations concur on the moral code of ten commandments!

If not mere coincidence then we must yield to the fact that the moral code of ten commandments is accepted by humanity without humans having any say in which they accept and which they reject. This is so because all of the ten commandments whether they refer to the worship of a god or the worship of God; yet each such commandment of worship that is directed towards the worship of God would be the desire of the true God or any humanly created god who so desires worship.
All the six commandments of relationship towards any and all other humans are commandments that each and every human very willingly desire to be his experience at the expense of those with whom he shares association. And any violation of these commandments, which now becomes a negative experience suffered at the hands of his associates, he views as unacceptable and wishes that he be avenged for being so violated.

The ten commandments are therefore ten universally accepted codes that guide the moral behaviour of each and every human, whether they so knowingly aknowledge God as the Author of these moral codes or not.
Which also makes the point that God, the Creator, created humans giving said humans guidelines to foster civil behaviour given or own selfish motives to see ourselves as being right and others wrong. But also to make us avoid unjustifiably ascribing wrong to others to justify ourselves as right, he included that we should not do to others what we would not like others to do to us....which is all the ten commandments is about.

precept

Michelle

We are all related
Hi Precept and welcome to the forum *smiles*. Nice first post

The ten commandments are therefore ten universally accepted codes that guide the moral behaviour of each and every human, whether they so knowingly aknowledge God as the Author of these moral codes or not.
However, the bible shows that mankind knew right from wrong long before Moses claimed God carved on a rock. The story of the tree of knowledge and then the story of Abel and Cain.

Genesis 4

23 Lamech said to his wives,

"Adah and Zillah, listen to me;
wives of Lamech, hear my words.
I have killed [8] a man for wounding me,
a young man for injuring me.
24 If Cain is avenged seven times,
then Lamech seventy-seven times."

Here is Lamech showing that he knew the murder of Abel and his own murder were wrong.

Native American Ten Commandents

1. Remain close to the great spirit.
2. Show great respect for your fellow beings.
3. Be truthful and honest at all times.
4. Do what you know to be right.
5. Look after the well being of mind and body.
6. Treat the Earth and all that dwells there on with respect.
7. Take full responsibility for your actions.
8. Dedicate a share of your efforts to the greater good.
9. Work together for the benefit of all mankind.
10.Give assistance and kindness whenever needed.

Mankind all over the world has learned the universal truth of nature and perhaps mother nature and God are one and the same.

Rex

Founder
precept said:
Not only are the ten commandments "truth"; but they form the foundation for all civilizations. Every civilization teach respect for parents...every civilization will punish with death crimes of murder....every civilization will punish the crime of theft...every civilization will punish the one guilty of falsehood....Yet these civilizations may or may not acknowledge God as the Author of their code of moral behaviour. Is it mere coincidence that all of human civilizations concur on the moral code of ten commandments!

If not mere coincidence then we must yield to the fact that the moral code of ten commandments is accepted by humanity without humans having any say in which they accept and which they reject. This is so because all of the ten commandments whether they refer to the worship of a god or the worship of God; yet each such commandment of worship that is directed towards the worship of God would be the desire of the true God or any humanly created god who so desires worship.
All the six commandments of relationship towards any and all other humans are commandments that each and every human very willingly desire to be his experience at the expense of those with whom he shares association. And any violation of these commandments, which now becomes a negative experience suffered at the hands of his associates, he views as unacceptable and wishes that he be avenged for being so violated.

Which also makes the point that God, the Creator, created humans giving said humans guidelines to foster civil behaviour given or own selfish motives to see ourselves as being right and others wrong. But also to make us avoid unjustifiably ascribing wrong to others to justify ourselves as right, he included that we should not do to others what we would not like others to do to us....which is all the ten commandments is about.

precept
I thought the 10 commandments were based of Hamurabi's (sp?) Code.

Rex

Founder
More info..

Here are laws/codes over time:

2350 BC: Urukagina's Code
2050 BC: Ur-Nammu's Code
1850 BC: The Earliest Known Legal Decision
1700 BC: Hammurabi's Code
1300 BC: The Ten Commandments
1280 BC: The Laws of Manu
621 BC: Draco's Law
600 BC: Lycergus' Law
550 BC: Solon's Laws
536 BC: The Book of Punishments
450 BC: The Twelve Tables
350 BC: The Chinese Code of Li k'vei
399 BC: The Trial of Socrates
529 AD: Justinian's Code
604 AD: The Seventeen Article Constitution of Japan
653 AD: T'ang Code
1215 AD: Magna Carta
1689 AD: The English Bill of Rights
1740 AD: South Carolina Slave Code
1765 AD: Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England
1787 AD: The Constitution of the United States of America
1788 AD: Through the Operation of Penal Law, A Country Is Formed
1791 AD: The American Bill of Rights
1803 AD: Marbury versus Madison
1804 AD: Napoleonic Code
1864 AD: The Geneva Convention
1865 AD: The Thirteenth Amendment
1945-46 AD: The Nuremberg War Crimes Trial
more

linwood

How are those first couple of commandments moral?

Why aren`t they laws in any society?

The first couple aren`t world wide recognised laws?

No other gods etc..?

Why is that?

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
The law apparently is the schoolmaster or tutor to bring us to Christ, according to the christian view, but christ is the end of the law.
The law is written on every man's heart ( conscience) before mother and father had a chance to implement their moral and ethical values.
One of the greatest theologins and intellectuals in the bible was the apostle Paul, who was raised up in the law, a Hebrew of Hebrews said," I would not have known what sin ( transgression of law) was unless the law had not said ," thou shall not covet , that which was suppose to help me ( the law ) really brought death.

So it is essential to the believer and or non - believer alike. not that the law saves!!!
The law is the moral fibre and common ground inside every man in which we will be judged by ,reagrdless of how hardened and or seared the conscience may be and that is another topic