• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are scientists any closer

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ok let's say for the sake of discussion that global warming is a misnomer or ..not true. The icebergs are melting though, aren't they?
I don't think that you understood my post. AGW is true. Icebergs are melting. But technically we are still in an ice age. It was merely a bit of pedantry. AGW may be the end of the ice age. Meaning that all of the ice may melt. That would cause severe problems for mankind. It could spark all kinds of wars and unrest..

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
One reason I'm interested is because it is said that they comingled with homosapiens and left genes. I wonder what the neanderthal genes were exclusively with the before the comingling. I don't believe it so far just because they say it is so.
They were with Neanderthal before comingling. Where else would they be?

What don't you believe?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
But so far humans with different genomes still remain humans in the term of homo sapiens.
What else should we be? Do you think organisms magically morph (change) into other organisms? Evolution does not say that. Where do you get the idea from?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
But so far humans with different genomes still remain humans in the term of homo sapiens.
Yes. Speciation occurs under relatively rare circumstances and require long periods of reproductive isolation. We as a species have not had that. But we have seen speciation in other species (like birds, plants, insects etc.)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
What else should we be? Do you think organisms magically morph (change) into other organisms? ....................
The more basic the organism, so the more speedily it can change, adjust, adapt, mutate, evolve.
The Coronavirus might give some clues about that.

Out of interest, could I ask you if you think that Neanderthal man dissappered before the end of the ice age or afterwards?
Do you have a rough time/date in mind for the end of the ice age?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
The more basic the organism, so the more speedily it can change, adjust, adapt, mutate, evolve.

Out of interest, could I ask you if you think that Neanderthal man dissappered before the end of the ice age or afterwards?
The scientific consensus is that Neanderthals went extinct about 40,000 to 45,000 years ago and the last ice age ended 12,000 years ago. I have seen no evidence that would make me doubt this. However, since there was introgression of Neanderthal DNA into modern humans, a part of them survives in some of us.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The scientific consensus is that Neanderthals went extinct about 40,000 to 45,000 years ago and the last ice age ended 12,000 years ago. I have seen no evidence that would make me doubt this. However, since there was introgression of Neanderthal DNA into modern humans, a part of them survives in some of us.
Thanks for that, Dan.
Do you accept evolution theory as reasonable?
I ask this because clearly you accept archaeological evidence for ice age and neanderthal man .. :)

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for that, Dan.
Do you accept evolution theory as reasonable?
I ask this because clearly you accept archaeological evidence for ice age and neanderthal man .. :)
I accepted it decades ago. It explains the evidence that we observe. It is the foundation of the field of biology that I turned into my profession.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I don't think that you understood my post. AGW is true. Icebergs are melting. But technically we are still in an ice age. It was merely a bit of pedantry. AGW may be the end of the ice age. Meaning that all of the ice may melt. That would cause severe problems for mankind. It could spark all kinds of wars and unrest..
OK, yes, thanks for clarifying.
And what you say is likely to happen if not stopped*. Especially about the wars. I will not fight and kill to save my life. My life is in God's hands, not mankind's hands. As a Christian in my belief and understaneding of Christ I wait on God by means of Jesus Christ to solve mankind's problems (which obviously mankind is not willing or able to solve). Such as the ozone layer, polluting of the oceans, polluted drinking water, and other awful things that they COULD control, but do not.
*The book of Revelation states that God will ruin those that are ruining the earth. This gives me satisfaction and hope to know this about God and what He intends to do for mankind and the situation of the earth.

YoursTrue

Yes. Speciation occurs under relatively rare circumstances and require long periods of reproductive isolation. We as a species have not had that. But we have seen speciation in other species (like birds, plants, insects etc.)
May I ask what you mean by speciation? I'm asking particularly about your statement of "We as a species have not had that..." What species are you talking about? I'll take a guess. The human species?

YoursTrue

Before I even attempt to answer that (I really don't know anyway), would you say that the Neanderthal man was a human being, i.e., a homo sapien?

YoursTrue

Our genome will always be "Homo sapiens". Homo sapiens is merely our term for people right now. You might want to study the concept of cladistics. If I found a video for you would you be interested in watching? If not I will not bother.
It depends how long it is. Or even if it's very long (I hope not), I also hope it's not too technical. But ok, I'll try. But anyway, going back to Neanderthal and (or vs.) homo sapiens, are you saying that homo sapien is not a term that applies to the so-called Neanderthal man?

YoursTrue

Nonsense. Do you think Native Americans didn't know about basic sanitation (don't **** where you eat)? Do you think Native Americans drank water from pools that contained dead animals? Do you think the Asians did? Do you think the Australian aborigines did. Do you the Africans did?

I realize your view of human history only goes back about 6000 years. That's your problem. In the actual world, man learned what was and what was not harmful long before a tribe of hebrews ever had to capability to write things down.

Further nonsense is the fact that a lot of your hebrews' knowledge was wrong. Their writing reflects this. Their incorrect knowledge is what is in the OT, certainly not the knowledge of a god.
OK, wow. The Bible, however, has been preserved, passed around, and spoken about by many, many people. And interestingly, rather than center on the basic concepts right now (such as the health laws even for those ancient people in the middle east), it is interesting for me to note that these writings were held specifically and recorded specifically by a group of people, AND have been preserved in their basic integrity until now for mankind's edification. That includes the enlightening discussion of sequestering oneself from the possibility of getting infected by a diseased person. May I ask what other writings you may be referring to?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
May I ask what you mean by speciation? I'm asking particularly about your statement of "We as a species have not had that..." What species are you talking about? I'll take a guess. The human species?
Yes. A species, roughly is a group of organisms that are similar enough to frequently and successfully interbreed in the natural world. (For sexually reproducing organisms)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It depends how long it is. Or even if it's very long (I hope not), I also hope it's not too technical. But ok, I'll try. But anyway, going back to Neanderthal and (or vs.) homo sapiens, are you saying that homo sapien is not a term that applies to the so-called Neanderthal man?
No, they are called both : Homo neanderthalensis and Homo sapiens neanderthalensis. I will look for a video for you.

YoursTrue

No, they are called both : Homo neanderthalensis and Homo sapiens neanderthalensis. I will look for a video for you.
ok, got me confused here. So both neanderthals and the regular type current humans are both called homo sapiens? OK, I'll look for the link to the video though about cladistics for starters. Let's stick with that before we jump to which is called what as far as homo sapiens.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I also know that those techniques can be flawed. The dating ones.
Yeah, I guess that you believe in a created Earth, only a very few thousand years old, so subjects like dendo chronology, carbon dating, etc must seem quite strange to you?

So to ask you about subjects such as the stone age or ice age ...... certainly about the Yucutan impact (!) must be pointless conversations? Neanderthal man and all the other (now extinct) primates, the whole lot must have been created at the same time?............. with the dinosaurs, etc? :p