• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc. a means of normalizing religious ideals for kids?

Hey guys, this is my first thread here.

As mentioned in the title- do you think it's possible that these childhood fairy tales/ mystical beings are a means of making the mysticism of religion easier to swallow for kids?

I can't remember where I remember hearing this, might've been TV or a conversation with friends. But I have been wondering- why exactly do we tell these mystical tales to our children? Instead of giving the parents credit for buying presents during Christmas, candy on Easter, putting money under the pillow for a lost tooth, many folks (at least in the US) have their kids believe in these mystical creatures, having them believe that there are magical things in the world.

Despite not coming from a religious family, I remember the excitement of Christmas, Easter, the Tooth Fairy, etc, and when I learned they were phony, I don't think I was particularly devastated. I'm still undecided as to whether I will teach my kids these fairy tales at this point.

Thoughts?

To expound, my point is that if you believe in a fat bearded man living in uninhabited frozen lands, making toys for well behaved children with a factory of elves, driving a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer, delivering billions of presents in a miniscule amount of time to children across the world, then how much of a stretch is it to believe

Last edited by a moderator:

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Terry Pratchet said:
"All right," said Susan, "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need ... fantasies to make life bearable."
No.[said Death, whose speech is unquoted.] Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape.
"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers?"
Yes. As practice. You have to start out learning to believe the little lies.
"So we can believe the big ones?"
Yes. Justice. Duty. Mercy. That sort of thing.
It is a common idea, apparently.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I think they are horrible things to teach children: to have them believe something, and then say, "actually, no" is foolish to me. My kids have no Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairies, leprechauns, or anything like that. They do, however, have religious influence in the household. Daughter can recite some mantras, including Om namah Shivaya, Om Mani Padme Hum, the Maha Mantra, Durga's mantra, and a couple more.

My daughter (eldest, my boy can't speak much yet) has even argued with someone who tried to tell her Santa was real. Long story short, woman flipped out and called me a bad father. Found it funny, really. I'm a bad father because I don't lie to my children. :p

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I think children ascribe to ideas like Santa and the Easter Bunny because Paganism is the default position, and it's easier for the child mind to believe in. Any child left alone to themselves will develop a Paganistic belief system. What do you think faeries are? What do you think imaginary friends are?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

As mentioned in the title- do you think it's possible that these childhood fairy tales/ mystical beings are a means of making the mysticism of religion easier to swallow for kids?

I
Thoughts?

Kids are harmed by very little when it comes to mysticism. Mysticism provides a great deal of fun for youth's. Education though necessary takes the fun out of life and eventually requires us to work.

Levite

Higher and Higher

Despite not coming from a religious family, I remember the excitement of Christmas, Easter, the Tooth Fairy, etc, and when I learned they were phony, I don't think I was particularly devastated. I'm still undecided as to whether I will teach my kids these fairy tales at this point.

Well, clearly not everyone tells their kids about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or the tooth fairy. I was never told about those things, nor were any of my other Jewish friends, nor were any of my Muslim friends, nor were any of my Hindu friends.

There is a difference between religion and fairy tales. That difference only becomes fragile if one is determined to attempt to take religious scripture entirely literally. Which, fortunately, most practitioners of religion do not do.

ninerbuff

godless wonder

I can't remember where I remember hearing this, might've been TV or a conversation with friends. But I have been wondering- why exactly do we tell these mystical tales to our children? Instead of giving the parents credit for buying presents during Christmas, candy on Easter, putting money under the pillow for a lost tooth, many folks (at least in the US) have their kids believe in these mystical creatures, having them believe that there are magical things in the world.

Thoughts?
I believe because like Disneyland, it's just fun. Even we the parents have fun with it.
Also I think that by using a third party, Santa for example, you put the onus on the child and have them think about consequences of bad acts without you having to enforce punishment. Lol, I know it worked on me when I was younger. But that's my experience with it.
All in all, I think it's fun for both child and parent.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I think children ascribe to ideas like Santa and the Easter Bunny because Paganism is the default position, and it's easier for the child mind to believe in. Any child left alone to themselves will develop a Paganistic belief system. What do you think faeries are? What do you think imaginary friends are?
I think you would need more support. All you are proving is that children have imaginations. It has nothing to do with Paganism at all. Particularly because none of those things you describe have anything to do with religion.

For me, I won't teach my children any of those characters. But I don't think they have anything to do with religion. Especially when considering that even non-religious will subscribe to those figures as well, and that those figures are not really related to any particular religion. I think really, they just show an attachment to myth. It gives life a little more fantasy.

Skwim

Veteran Member
EmpiricalAgnosticAtheist said:
do you think it's possible that these childhood fairy tales/ mystical beings are a means of making the mysticism of religion easier to swallow for kids?
Not to make religion easier to swallow, but easier to relate to.

And welcome to RF.

I pray and hope that my future children will be educated to understand!

Around Christmas time, I would rather tell my children the stories of St. Nicholas as a good Christian bishop who did many good works, and how Christmas is a celebration of Jesus, one of the many Manifestations of God, rather than have them believe in a mythical fat figure who promises and never delivers.

And I would have my children celebrate Naw-Ruz on the 21st of March and understand the coming of Spring and new life, rather than my children subject to a gigantic freaky bunny that lays eggs everywhere.

And please, no freaky little creature is going to sneak into my bedroom at night!

Of course, when approaching these myths, I think it's okay to call them such to our children, and that some people believe in them and we should respect that belief.

Wannabe Yogi

My daughter (eldest, my boy can't speak much yet) has even argued with someone who tried to tell her Santa was real. Long story short, woman flipped out and called me a bad father. Found it funny, really. I'm a bad father because I don't lie to my children. :p

You are much more honest then I am. My wife and in laws wanted to do the whole Santa, Easter bunny thing. So I just refused to comment on any questions. I said ask your mother she is the one who is in charge of the Santa information. When he was 8 my wife told him after it was clear he had his doubts. That if you say you don't believe the Santa presants stop coming but your family will still give you gifts. So I told my son this is our don't ask don't tell policy on Santa Claus. So I refuse to comment. I am so glad this is all over with.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Glad to hear it's all over with for you Yogi. I'm lucky that my wife thinks the same. :)
Family and in-laws are quite critical, but we stand firm.

Something is satisfying about seeing a three and a half year old say "No, Santa's not real!" to a stranger in late December. :D

Good responses so far. I especially like this one, I might end up doing this some day:

You are much more honest then I am. My wife and in laws wanted to do the whole Santa, Easter bunny thing. So I just refused to comment on any questions. I said ask your mother she is the one who is in charge of the Santa information. When he was 8 my wife told him after it was clear he had his doubts. That if you say you don't believe the Santa presants stop coming but your family will still give you gifts. So I told my son this is our don't ask don't tell policy on Santa Claus. So I refuse to comment. I am so glad this is all over with.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The acceptance of an invisible fantasy realm peopled with magical beings is sine qua non of theistic religious belief.

A fantasy mental space with an open back door must be established early in life, before a child learns to reason; before mental logic filters and firewalls are developed by a maturing mind.

Without this everyone would be an atheist and there would be chaos and mayhem in the streets!:eek:

No reasonable adult would accept a completely unsupported, fantastic mythology of Gods, saints, angels, &c. These notions must be downloaded early, incorporated into one's very operating system if we hope to have an orderly society of God-fearing Christians, Jews, Muslims or whatever. :sarcastic

Without the fear of God and hope of divine reward.... well....I shudder to think.:eek:

In these "last days" sin and iniquity are everywhere: Sex on TV. War on religion. Prayer outlawed. Evolutionists in the classroom. Liberals in the media and atheists under the bed!

Our children are bombarded on all fronts with reason and science. Our only hope is to immerse them in fantasy. We must re-inforce their magical thinking at every chance -- with Easter bunnies, Santa Clause, tooth fairies and Ronald Reagan.

It's our only hope!

No Good Boyo

engineering prostitute
I believe it is possible but I don’t believe it is the intent.

We use Santa, fairies, even monsters to get children to behave a certain. Religion is used in the same way, in my opinion, and god is the ultimate santa. If you do as I say you’ll get rewards. If you’re naughty you’ll be punished.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I don't think it's an intentional process. They probably share a similar root in psychological and sociological processes though.

outhouse

Atheistically
Are Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc. a means of normalizing religious ideals for kids?

No we are mythical creatures by nature.

They are just holidays for childrens enjoyment

I wouldnt read to deep into it

Boethiah

Penguin
I figure that context is important. Lies (or belief, depending on whichever way one looks at it) is only damaging when not put into proper check or not put into the right context. For example, a parent probably doesn't raise a child with the intention to make the child believe in Santa Claus for the rest of his or her life. When the child gets old enough, he figures it out for himself or asks. One way or another though, the child will find out. That is seen as a natural part of growing up.

When one replaces "Santa Claus" with "God", there are few differences me thinks. The idea of a God is a Santa Claus idea multiplied. Instead of a jolly old man who delivers material gifts based on a naughty to nice ratio, it is a jolly/vengeful being that delivers joy/vengeance based upon a virtue to sin ratio.

I think many parents raise their children to be religious and believe in God. I suppose some would think the belief in God should be more long lasting, due to social norms or something else.

The belief in things like Santa Claus brings a different way for children to discover things on their own. It teaches a lesson of searching for truth on one's own and to "Trust, but verify". I'd imagine if parents raised their children to believe in Santa like they believe in God, then denouncing the belief in Santa would be taboo.

So, I think the two are different. I thought this way anyway. I was totally bummed when I found out Santa wasn't really existent, but it was fun while it lasted.