• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Muslims better Christians than Christians themselves?

OneTwo

This thread is not an attack on the Christian faith, but what I want to show is, what Jesus (pbuh) said, and what it says in the Bible, the Muslims follow aswell. Which to me further proves the point, that all the messengers of God came down to deliver the same message.

Firstly, I have read both the Bible and the Qur'an so I do have a wealthy understanding of both scriptures.

Jesus (pbuh) was undoubtedly a special blessed man, whom we as believers in God love as an example for us to live by. Therefore being a Christian requires the followers of Christianity to follow his teachings, that is the way a Christian should live.

However; Jesus (pbuh) was circumcised on the eighth day according to the Bible. All Muslims and to my knowledge Jews are circumcised, but many Christians are not.

In the Book of Leviticus; Chapter. 11; Verse 7-8:

11:7 And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven-footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.

11:8 Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you.

Pork is forbidden.

In the book of Deuteronomy; Chapter. 14; Verse 8:

14:8 And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass.

Again here, the Bible states that Pork is forbidden.

In the book of Isaiah; Chapter. 65; Verse 2-5:

65:2 I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people, which walketh in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts;

65:3 A people that provoketh me to anger continually to my face; that sacrificeth in gardens, and burneth incense upon altars of brick;

65:4 Which remain among the graves, and lodge in the monuments, which eat swine's flesh, and broth of abominable things is in their vessels;

65:5 Which say, Stand by thyself, come not near to me; for I am holier than thou. These are a smoke in my nose, a fire that burneth all the day.

It clearly states that eating from this animal is forbidden, yet many Christians do eat from this animal, however Muslims do not.

Plus, alcohol is also prohibited in the Bible yet many Christians do consume it, but Muslims are prohibited from drinking it:

Proverbs 23:20f: "Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Isaiah 5:11f: "Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night till they are inflamed with wine. They have harps and lyres at their banquets, tambourines and flutes and wine, but they have no regard for the deeds of the LORD, no respect for the work of his hands."

Galatians 5:19–21: "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: ... drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God."

Ephesians 5:18: "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit."

If you say you love Jesus Christ but do not follow his teachings, then it appears that the love of Jesus (pbuh) that you have is false. The Muslims love Jesus (pbuh) as much as the Christians do, but they follow his teachings.

A final point, and the most important point is that in the Gospel of John, Chapter. 16; Verse 11-14:

16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Jesus (pbuh) here states that there is much to say to the people, but they will not be able to bear it now, so another final Prophet will come, who will not speak of himself, but what he will hear from God, he will also glorify me (Jesus (pbuh)). This man was the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh).

As a believer in God, people have always asked me am I a Christian or a Muslim, I always say to them, what is the difference? The original message is the same, man has corrupted it for other reasons.

Muslims are following the Christian way of living, and so are to the Christians who follow the teachings of Jesus (pbuh). There shouldn't be a divide in these 'religions', they preach the same message.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I'm not a Christian, and my opinion is... no, not really. :p

Christians do not believe they are required to adhere to the old dietary laws, "What goes in to a man's mouth does not make him unclean" (Matthew 15:11, Acts 11:5-10), and the consumption of wine was permitted -- in fact, it was encouraged to drink water "with a little wine" (1 Timothy 5:23), most probably because of germs that could live in water; the verses you have shown seem to prohibit drunkenness, not the drinking of alcohol -- huge difference. A little alcohol will not make someone drunk, excess will, which is what seems to be opposed.

In addition, there are some Christian groups who do not consume alcohol or pork. Seventh Day Adventists, I believe, are one of them.

The "Spirit of Truth" is said to "dwell in" them. Muhammad cannot "dwell in" someone as he is a person, and that doesn't make sense. :)

OneTwo

I think when people drink, sometimes they do become drunk, not all the time, but sometimes.

Why if it is mentioned in the Bible, do only certain 'Christians' follow it?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Yeah, I'm going to have say no. Muslims are not better Christians than Christians because they're Muslims, not Christians.

You interpret Christian scripture through Muslim teaching. That doesn't make you better at following their religion. It's no different than a Christian reading Hebrew scripture and then telling Jews they're doing it wrong.

Even if you use the same text, different religions have different rules.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I think when people drink, sometimes they do become drunk, not all the time, but sometimes.

there was no law to the jews against drinking alcohol, and Jesus himself drank wine. But their was a law forbidding 'drunkardness'

To get to the point of drunkardness, you have to drink a lot of alcholol. One or two drinks will not make a person drunk.

I think what you dont understand about christianity is that we are following a 'new covenant' as spoken of through Jeremiah the prophet.
Paul explains it in the book of Hebrews:

Hebrews 8:7 For if that first covenant (mosaic law covenant) had been faultless, no place would have been sought for a second; 8 for he does find fault with the people when he says: “‘Look! There are days coming,’ says Jehovah, ‘and I will conclude with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant; 9 not according to the covenant that I made with their forefathers in [the] day of my taking hold of their hand to bring them forth out of the land of Egypt, because they did not continue in my covenant, so that I stopped caring for them,’ says Jehovah.”
10 “‘For this is the covenant that I shall covenant with the house of Israel after those days,’ says Jehovah. ‘I will put my laws in their mind, and in their hearts I shall write them. And I will become their God, and they themselves will become my people.

Christians are not followers of mosaic laws like Jews and Muslims. We are followers of Christ in accord with the new covenant. In this covenant, the only written laws we are commanded to abide by are:

"Love Jehovah your God with your whole heart.."
"Love your neighbour as yourself"
"abstain from things polluted by idols"
"abstain from fornication"
"abstain from is strangled and from blood"

all other christian laws are stated as 'principles' as set out in the christian scriptures.... 'look after the poor', 'be peaceable with all men', 'put God first in your life', 'be modest' etc etc

We dont follow the mosaic laws and its dietary requirements because the christian scriptures tell us that we are not under mosaic law anymore...we are under the new covenant.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
This thread is not an attack on the Christian faith, but what I want to show is, what Jesus (pbuh) said, and what it says in the Bible, the Muslims follow aswell. Which to me further proves the point, that all the messengers of God came down to deliver the same message.

Firstly, I have read both the Bible and the Qur'an so I do have a wealthy understanding of both scriptures.

Jesus (pbuh) was undoubtedly a special blessed man, whom we as believers in God love as an example for us to live by. Therefore being a Christian requires the followers of Christianity to follow his teachings, that is the way a Christian should live.

However; Jesus (pbuh) was circumcised on the eighth day according to the Bible. All Muslims and to my knowledge Jews are circumcised, but many Christians are not.

In the Book of Leviticus; Chapter. 11; Verse 7-8:

11:7 And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven-footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.

11:8 Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you.

Pork is forbidden.

In the book of Deuteronomy; Chapter. 14; Verse 8:

14:8 And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass.

Again here, the Bible states that Pork is forbidden.

In the book of Isaiah; Chapter. 65; Verse 2-5:

65:2 I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people, which walketh in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts;

65:3 A people that provoketh me to anger continually to my face; that sacrificeth in gardens, and burneth incense upon altars of brick;

65:4 Which remain among the graves, and lodge in the monuments, which eat swine's flesh, and broth of abominable things is in their vessels;

65:5 Which say, Stand by thyself, come not near to me; for I am holier than thou. These are a smoke in my nose, a fire that burneth all the day.

It clearly states that eating from this animal is forbidden, yet many Christians do eat from this animal, however Muslims do not.

Plus, alcohol is also prohibited in the Bible yet many Christians do consume it, but Muslims are prohibited from drinking it:

Proverbs 23:20f: "Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Isaiah 5:11f: "Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night till they are inflamed with wine. They have harps and lyres at their banquets, tambourines and flutes and wine, but they have no regard for the deeds of the LORD, no respect for the work of his hands."

Galatians 5:19–21: "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: ... drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God."

Ephesians 5:18: "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit."

If you say you love Jesus Christ but do not follow his teachings, then it appears that the love of Jesus (pbuh) that you have is false. The Muslims love Jesus (pbuh) as much as the Christians do, but they follow his teachings.

A final point, and the most important point is that in the Gospel of John, Chapter. 16; Verse 11-14:

16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Jesus (pbuh) here states that there is much to say to the people, but they will not be able to bear it now, so another final Prophet will come, who will not speak of himself, but what he will hear from God, he will also glorify me (Jesus (pbuh)). This man was the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh).

As a believer in God, people have always asked me am I a Christian or a Muslim, I always say to them, what is the difference? The original message is the same, man has corrupted it for other reasons.

Muslims are following the Christian way of living, and so are to the Christians who follow the teachings of Jesus (pbuh). There shouldn't be a divide in these 'religions', they preach the same message.
:facepalm:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
It's not like playing Russian roulette; you will be drunk if you drink too much, not just from randomly drinking. :p Some people just have no self control, though.

So you get a better understanding of the history, culture, and mindset etc that Jesus and his followers had.

Some Christians are Torah observant. Messianic Jews are Torah observant.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Are Muslims better Christians than Christians themselves?
Yes. Muslims are the grandest, most spectacular, glamorous, upstanding pure monotheists since the dawn of history and the first man.
The Qur'an is the most accurate, pro-scientific, miraculous book in history.
Muhammad was the most outstanding historical figure, and we should imitate the way he walked, ate his favourite foods, and have the same taste in women as he had.
We should all not eat pork and everyone should be circumcised so as to show how righteous and remarkably authentic we are.

Oh and before I forget, let me get this post out of /Sarcasm mode.

arthra

Baha'i
From the opening post:

"Which to me further proves the point, that all the messengers of God came down to deliver the same message."

I think what needs to be said is that spiritually the Messengers of God deliver the "same message" but it is a spiritual message or teaching..such as the oneness of God and that people should worship God and so on..

Each of the Messengers though also has social teachings and laws for Their time.. so while alcohol was allowed say under Moses it was not permitted under Muhammad. There are also laws about marriage that vary from time to time...so not all these teachings are the same..they vary as suits the time for which they were revealed.

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
I'm sorry this might sound rude, but this seems to be the typical Muslim redirect, you ignore clear passages in the Bible that contradict Islamic beliefs and then claim the Bible is Islamic, It's like that Song of Solomon 15:6 thing where the word sounds like Muhammad so it must have been a prophecy for him (though it makes no sense in context)

F0uad

We shouldn't be to hard on him he is new on the forums, anyway it depends on which verses you pick out and this goes for any religion.

Generally Muslims belief that Christianity-Followers are not ´´Christians´´ since they do not follow him as how we would follow/mimic a prophet or messenger and i would agree with this belief.
So what i am trying to say is that Christianity holds on the idea that people are following him but in a different way then we would do.

Also the Quran says for example that the (Crusifiction) never happened and according to the bible who ever claims that is the anti-christ so we are anti-Christ´s according to the bible therefore the enemy of Jesus(p) instead of hes followers... Lol

Me Myself

Back to my username
" Okay mom, I'll turn that water into wine, but first make everyone in the party promise to NOT drink it. Thanks Mom, I love you :) "

PFZKW88

The average Muslim is probably more religious than the average Christian, but it only makes them better Muslims, not better Christians.

As for the Old Testament precepts, they are ceremonial and judicial and were bestowed specifically upon the Hebrews. Upon the coming of Christ they were not binding to non-Hebrews who converted to Christianity, because the New Covenant established through Christ is the instrument through which God offers mercy and atonement to mankind. Christians do not observe them because of the New Covenant, and indeed the notion that they are required is no less than denying not only the mission for which Christ was sent to earth, but also His death, Sacrifice and Resurrection.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
A lot of you have misunderstood his point. If being a Christian involved following the teachings of Jesus peace be upon him, then as it was shown, Muslims follow his teachings more than the Christians themselves. So by that, Muslims are technically more Christian than the Christians.

That's regardless of Muslims not actually being Christians, but instead believers in him and that he was a Messenger of God. (It's just a metaphor explaining how much Muslims actually make better Christians than the Christians or something like that.)