• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Muslim women to be beaten?

firedragon

Veteran Member
It is common knowledge that Islam allows women to be beaten. Most traditional translators have interpreted this verse 4:34 to propagate the same. Some even go to the length of quoting a hadith that says beat her with a toothbrush. Picture a man beating a woman with a toothbrush. Traditionally, women were thought to have lesser intellect and the men had a much superior position in societies but the world has seen too many state leaders, authors, philosophers and intellectual women to consider them to be beaten with a toothbrush. These are all translators who were born way after Islamic practices have been established based on evolution of Hadith and other interpolations where the translators approach the Quran with preconceived notions, thus measuring the yardstick with the cloth.

The verse in concern and its analysis based on the Quran.

Let me furnish the Yusuf Ali translation that lets the respect of a woman down by enforcing a man’s right to beat her.

Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband’s) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct , admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For Allah is Most High, great (above you all). - Quran 4:34

The word used here for beat is “Idribuhun”. This word has many meanings as Arabic usually is and the meaning changes depending on the context of what you are saying. Take a simple example of the English word beat.

e.g. I beat him and broke his nose
I beat him in the 100 meter race by .2 seconds

You could see the difference in the meaning of the same word when you take the word in context. Now, let’s explore the Arabic word “Idribuhunna” derived from the root “Daraba”.

The Quran is one book and understanding must be based on the context of the Quran. Islam establishes harmony and tranquility in the man and woman relationship. By showing Quranic evidence I will prove that it is very easy to understand that this verse simply tells you to “separate” and not to “beat”.

Other verses that have the same word “Idribuhunna”

The Quran has used this word in many other verses and the word has many meanings. It has been translated as give, move, cover, separate and to strike (as in strike their feet on the ground) over 40 times in the Quran as far as my research has found.

"So we sealed (Fadarabna – Same root word Daraba) their ears in the cave for many years" – Quran 18:11

When it comes to so many verses the word is never translatable as “Beat” but the egoistic, ignorant, male supremacy in the Muslim men who translated the verse, in combination with illogical and extremely questionable idea of measuring the yardstick with the and they want to translate the verse as Beat. There are two words used in this that need relooking at.

The word Idribuhunna simply means “Separate” or "leave" and Nushuz means disloyalty (e.g. extra marital affairs, unruly family bonds)

1. The men are to support the women with what God has bestowed upon them over one another and for what they spend of their money.

2. The upright females are dutiful; keeping private the personal matters for what God keeps watch over.
3. As for those females from whom you fear desertion (Nushuz),

a. then you shall advise them,
b. and abandon them in the bedchamber,
c. and leave (Idribuhunna) them.
4. If they respond to you, then do not seek a way over them; God is Most High, Great. – Quran 4:34

Analysis of 4:34
1. It is the man’s responsibility or duty to provide for the woman. That is not to say that women cannot seek employment or that she must stay at home but that it is the man’s responsibility and he must take it upon himself. The Quran preaches equity.
2. Women are to be bound by the duty of protecting the privacy and chastity of a man woman relationship. It is the man’s prerogative to expect the woman to be loyal as much as she expects from him. Is that not obvious?
3. If the woman desserts you or is being disloyal,
a. you must try advising them,
b. If that doesn’t work you must stop your sexual activities with her
c. Then separate from her.
4. If the woman responds to this process by changing her ways, then don’t let her down because God knows best.

Of course we can expect the usual arguments. Whitewashing accusation, quoting other translations and calling for authority and genetic fallacy etc. They are logical fallacies and generally those who do that have not made the analysis. It's quite normal.

This is the more logical and obvious interpretation of this verse. But if you are bizarre in mind and come from a women beating society or with a preconceived notion, you could interpret it as hit the woman. But from the Quranic point of view and context, you cannot hit your wife. Quran establishes the nature of the relationship between a man and a woman in the following verse.

"Among His signs is that He created for you spouses from among yourselves, in order to have tranquillity and contentment with each other. He places in your heart love and care towards your spouses. In this, there are signs for people who think." (30:21)

Other renditions of the word just too common in the Quran will show any explorer that in this case it simply means leave. Of course, many will adamantly argue because another tool goes down the drain.

These verses says travel, leave. Simple.

2:273, 4:101, 3:156, 38:44, 73:20

Peace.

Ellen Brown

Surah 4:34 has mixed acceptance now days. Non-American Muslim women have complained to me about it, saying, "The men use the Quran against us". I was never married as a Muslim in America, though entertained some thoughts about BDSM for a time. Now days, a man wishing to beat me may not live.

danieldemol

Premium Member
It is common knowledge that Islam allows women to be beaten. Most traditional translators have interpreted this verse 4:34 to propagate the same. Some even go to the length of quoting a hadith that says beat her with a toothbrush. Picture a man beating a woman with a toothbrush. Traditionally, women were thought to have lesser intellect and the men had a much superior position in societies but the world has seen too many state leaders, authors, philosophers and intellectual women to consider them to be beaten with a toothbrush. These are all translators who were born way after Islamic practices have been established based on evolution of Hadith and other interpolations where the translators approach the Quran with preconceived notions, thus measuring the yardstick with the cloth.

The verse in concern and its analysis based on the Quran.

Let me furnish the Yusuf Ali translation that lets the respect of a woman down by enforcing a man’s right to beat her.

Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband’s) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct , admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For Allah is Most High, great (above you all). - Quran 4:34

The word used here for beat is “Idribuhun”. This word has many meanings as Arabic usually is and the meaning changes depending on the context of what you are saying. Take a simple example of the English word beat.

e.g. I beat him and broke his nose
I beat him in the 100 meter race by .2 seconds

You could see the difference in the meaning of the same word when you take the word in context. Now, let’s explore the Arabic word “Idribuhunna” derived from the root “Daraba”.

The Quran is one book and understanding must be based on the context of the Quran. Islam establishes harmony and tranquility in the man and woman relationship. By showing Quranic evidence I will prove that it is very easy to understand that this verse simply tells you to “separate” and not to “beat”.

Other verses that have the same word “Idribuhunna”

The Quran has used this word in many other verses and the word has many meanings. It has been translated as give, move, cover, separate and to strike (as in strike their feet on the ground) over 40 times in the Quran as far as my research has found.

"So we sealed (Fadarabna – Same root word Daraba) their ears in the cave for many years" – Quran 18:11

When it comes to so many verses the word is never translatable as “Beat” but the egoistic, ignorant, male supremacy in the Muslim men who translated the verse, in combination with illogical and extremely questionable idea of measuring the yardstick with the and they want to translate the verse as Beat. There are two words used in this that need relooking at.

The word Idribuhunna simply means “Separate” or "leave" and Nushuz means disloyalty (e.g. extra marital affairs, unruly family bonds)

1. The men are to support the women with what God has bestowed upon them over one another and for what they spend of their money.

2. The upright females are dutiful; keeping private the personal matters for what God keeps watch over.
3. As for those females from whom you fear desertion (Nushuz),

a. then you shall advise them,
b. and abandon them in the bedchamber,
c. and leave (Idribuhunna) them.
4. If they respond to you, then do not seek a way over them; God is Most High, Great. – Quran 4:34

Analysis of 4:34
1. It is the man’s responsibility or duty to provide for the woman. That is not to say that women cannot seek employment or that she must stay at home but that it is the man’s responsibility and he must take it upon himself. The Quran preaches equity.
2. Women are to be bound by the duty of protecting the privacy and chastity of a man woman relationship. It is the man’s prerogative to expect the woman to be loyal as much as she expects from him. Is that not obvious?
3. If the woman desserts you or is being disloyal,
a. you must try advising them,
b. If that doesn’t work you must stop your sexual activities with her
c. Then separate from her.
4. If the woman responds to this process by changing her ways, then don’t let her down because God knows best.

Of course we can expect the usual arguments. Whitewashing accusation, quoting other translations and calling for authority and genetic fallacy etc. They are logical fallacies and generally those who do that have not made the analysis. It's quite normal.

This is the more logical and obvious interpretation of this verse. But if you are bizarre in mind and come from a women beating society or with a preconceived notion, you could interpret it as hit the woman. But from the Quranic point of view and context, you cannot hit your wife. Quran establishes the nature of the relationship between a man and a woman in the following verse.

"Among His signs is that He created for you spouses from among yourselves, in order to have tranquillity and contentment with each other. He places in your heart love and care towards your spouses. In this, there are signs for people who think." (30:21)

Other renditions of the word just too common in the Quran will show any explorer that in this case it simply means leave. Of course, many will adamantly argue because another tool goes down the drain.

These verses says travel, leave. Simple.

2:273, 4:101, 3:156, 38:44, 73:20

Peace.
I congratulate you on recognising that women should not be beaten, and that this issue must be taken up with peoples who follow more traditional forms of Islam :)

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
1232265_orig.jpg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Domestic violence is a world wide problem, and since most of it is hidden, who is to know?

Audie

Veteran Member
Domestic violence is a world wide problem, and since most of it is hidden, who is to know?

Domestic or not, it goes on and on and on.

The women who have suffered abuse know,
who they are, at least the ones who survived know.

We have a thread going, about how bad "hate' is,
and how it needs to be eliminated.

The white hot anger and hatred I felt for the man
who abused me has calmed to an acceptance that
hatred corrodes whoever holds it.

The residue is just something one learns to live
with.

Do I hate Islam?

Something like the systematic abuse of women
sanctioned by Islam, I generally avoid the topic.

I do not need to rekindle that fury.

I expect I could hate Islam, if I let myself.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

The Quran declares itself to be easy to understand. Your proof is complex. The most parsimonious conclusion is that you're wrong.

Ellen Brown

It's a very complex Psycho Anthropological issue. If you have not experienced it, you'll never fully understand. The good men would never beat a woman. The rest are insecure animals. They make you beg for mercy and that just excites them.

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall
It's a very complex Psycho Anthropological issue. If you have not experienced it, you'll never fully understand. The good men would never beat a woman. The rest are insecure animals. They make you beg for mercy and that just excites them.

That is tragic and so sad.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The Quran declares itself to be easy to understand. Your proof is complex. The most parsimonious conclusion is that you're wrong.
I kept thinking about the the 15 billion "scholars" who have already ruled on this.

I am so sorry for having to cite you post as "Winner" on such a horrible topic. My empathy feels your explanation is about right on the money.

TheresOnlyNow

The Mind Is Everything. U R What U Think
According to the tenets of Islam and the Koran, yes. They're also to be raped if their husband wants sex and even when the wife does not. They're to be killed if they're raped by a strange man, not their husband, so as to regain the family honor.
In a Sharia court the victim must have more people to testify on her behalf that she was indeed raped, than the alleged rapist. But in Islam a woman's testimony is worth half of a man's. So the victim herself is not enough to defend that her brutal assault was not consensual sex brought on by her fault. Ergo, her rapist , who's testimony alone is worth full credit, can claim she tempted him to act in some way.
Ergo, the woman is then beheaded, or shot, or knifed to death by a male family member. Because in every sense the court decided she was guilty of her own cause to be raped.

Islam translated in Arabic means, Submission. Not peace.
Submission to Allah's will.

Keep in mind though that Judaism, the foundation stone of the Christian messianic faith, is not all that much kinder to women than Islam.
The reason for instance that premarital sex is not strictly prohibited in the Bible? Is because according to Tanakh scriptures if a girl has sexual congress with a man not her husband she is to be married to him. Be it rape or not.
If it is rape, the rapist has to pay her father a bride price of 40 pieces of silver. That's ten pieces more than Judas received for betraying Christ to the temple elders.
If the rapist claims his victim was willing and enjoyed the ravishing, they're both to be killed.

And as regards domestic abuse, don't forget the book of Genesis and Hagar. Whom God told to return to her abuser.

Ellen Brown

According to the tenets of Islam and the Koran, yes. They're also to be raped if their husband wants sex and even when the wife does not. They're to be killed if they're raped by a strange man, not their husband, so as to regain the family honor.
In a Sharia court the victim must have more people to testify on her behalf that she was indeed raped, than the alleged rapist. But in Islam a woman's testimony is worth half of a man's. So the victim herself is not enough to defend that her brutal assault was not consensual sex brought on by her fault. Ergo, her rapist , who's testimony alone is worth full credit, can claim she tempted him to act in some way.
Ergo, the woman is then beheaded, or shot, or knifed to death by a male family member. Because in every sense the court decided she was guilty of her own cause to be raped.

Islam translated in Arabic means, Submission. Not peace.
Submission to Allah's will.

Keep in mind though that Judaism, the foundation stone of the Christian messianic faith, is not all that much kinder to women than Islam.
The reason for instance that premarital sex is not strictly prohibited in the Bible? Is because according to Tanakh scriptures if a girl has sexual congress with a man not her husband she is to be married to him. Be it rape or not.
If it is rape, the rapist has to pay her father a bride price of 40 pieces of silver. That's ten pieces more than Judas received for betraying Christ to the temple elders.
If the rapist claims his victim was willing and enjoyed the ravishing, they're both to be killed.

And as regards domestic abuse, don't forget the book of Genesis and Hagar. Whom God told to return to her abuser.

Um, I hate to get involved in this. The hatred spouted by Evangelicals post 9/11 is one of the reasons I left Christianity. I've tried to come back but some Christians are too over the top. I was Muslim for over 7 years and still mostly think that way. There is a huge difference between American and Canadian Muslims and those in the rest of the world. I suspicion that the best are in Indonesia.

I never experienced what you depict in Islam here in America. I could see it happening in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and some Gulf States.

TheresOnlyNow

The Mind Is Everything. U R What U Think
Um, I hate to get involved in this. The hatred spouted by Evangelicals post 9/11 is one of the reasons I left Christianity. I've tried to come back but some Christians are too over the top. I was Muslim for over 7 years and still mostly think that way. There is a huge difference between American and Canadian Muslims and those in the rest of the world. I suspicion that the best are in Indonesia.

I never experienced what you depict in Islam here in America. I could see it happening in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and some Gulf States.
I don't know if you're presuming I'm an Evangelical as I am not one.
Interestingly , people in America didn't appear to know how violent Islam's teachings were until 9-11 occurred. Members of a religion of peace don't hijack planes and crash them into buildings.

Certainly there are Muslims that aren't Fundamentalist.
However, Islam itself is Islam. Shia and Sunni not withstanding.

The Koran says what it says and the Hadith does too.
What I describe is in the Koran.
What I described has occurred in America. However, the honor killings are not registered as such in crime ledgers because of the predisposition to those reports then showing Islam sustains violence against women in its tenets.
Those killings are instead listed as domestic abuse homicides, or homicide.
The news however does report these kinds of killings from time to time. Articles

Phoenix New Times
How a Muslim Woman Was "Honor-Killed" by Her Father Because He Believed She Was Too Americanized

PAUL RUBIN | APRIL 1, 2010

Rarely are the reports of genital mutilation in the news.
Google Lists

In reality Islam is not a religion.
It is a political ideology. If recognized as that Islam would have no constitutional right in America. Which would not be a bad thing given Islam's sharia perspective.

Sharia is applicable to Muslims but encompasses non-Muslims as well. And it is something many non-Muslims don't discuss or know about.

Wafa Sultan knows Islam as a former Muslim.

As does Ayaan Hirsi

Ellen Brown

I don't know if you're presuming I'm an Evangelical as I am not one.
Interestingly , people in America didn't appear to know how violent Islam's teachings were until 9-11 occurred. Members of a religion of peace don't hijack planes and crash them into buildings.

Certainly there are Muslims that aren't Fundamentalist.
However, Islam itself is Islam. Shia and Sunni not withstanding.

The Koran says what it says and the Hadith does too.
What I describe is in the Koran.
What I described has occurred in America. However, the honor killings are not registered as such in crime ledgers because of the predisposition to those reports then showing Islam sustains violence against women in its tenets.
Those killings are instead listed as domestic abuse homicides, or homicide.
The news however does report these kinds of killings from time to time. Articles

Phoenix New Times
How a Muslim Woman Was "Honor-Killed" by Her Father Because He Believed She Was Too Americanized

PAUL RUBIN | APRIL 1, 2010

Rarely are the reports of genital mutilation in the news.
Google Lists

In reality Islam is not a religion.
It is a political ideology. If recognized as that Islam would have no constitutional right in America. Which would not be a bad thing given Islam's sharia perspective.

Sharia is applicable to Muslims but encompasses non-Muslims as well. And it is something many non-Muslims don't discuss or know about.

Wafa Sultan knows Islam as a former Muslim.

As does Ayaan Hirsi

OK Fine. Ayaan Hirsi. There is a network of speakers circulating mainly in the Mid West and she is one of them. Another is a guy purporting to be from Egypt and says he was Muslim, but was actually a Coptic, or Orthodox Christian. There are others, but it has been years since I had any contact with that bunch. They make good money doing these speaking engagements, and spreading half truths.

I'm not one of those folks who wants to participate in lurid and inane disputations about debatable issues. Isn't this your first entry at this site? If you persist in your approach, I will not talk to you.

Happy Holidays to you.

Last edited:

ajay0

Islam was quite progressive in its views towards women when it came up in the medieval ages.

Muhammad considered the mother more important than the father and worthy of great respect and love.He considered female infanticide, which was prevalent then, a great sin and prevented it effectively .He also allowed widow remarriage, property rights for women, marriage rights, including the right to reject the terms of a proposal and to initiate divorce.

These were progressive reforms at that point of time though it may look inadequate in modern times .

I would say the practices of triple talaq divorce, polygamy, prevention of education and healthcare for women under Taliban and ultra-orthodox Islam, mandatory wearing of burka, inferior testimonial rights, vulnerability to sanctioned violence , child marriages are the major issues facing Muslim women at this point of time.