• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Messianic Jews Christians?

Teritos

I'm a Messianic Jew, and I'm aware I cannot keep the Law.
Then why are you circumcising yourselves? If I'm writing an exam and I already know I'm not going to pass the exam, why should I register for the exam?
But realize that Gentile Christians will be evangelical, then fellowship at a legalistic Messianic congregation, binding themselves to the Law--they are still Christians if you understand how salvation and assurance work per the Bible.
There is no salvation through the law, but through faith alone. Whoever binds himself to the law is out of grace according to Paul.

leroy

In my opinion, according to the Bible, they are not Christians. They still live in the old covenant, they circumcise themselves, they celebrate the Sabbath and they also keep other laws of Moses. They still live like a servant of God although the new covenant has made Christians children of God. They try to keep the law even though it is not possible. Many Messianic Jews do not even believe that Jesus is God. The funny thing is, some Messianic Jews themselves admit they are not Christians.
Well the apostoles where messianic Jews.....................if they where not Christian then who is?

Teritos

Well the apostoles where messianic Jews.....................if they where not Christian then who is?
They are not Messianic Jews, they did not live by the Torah, they were Christian Jews, they lived in the New Covenant.

74x12

In my opinion, according to the Bible, they are not Christians. They still live in the old covenant, they circumcise themselves, they celebrate the Sabbath and they also keep other laws of Moses. They still live like a servant of God although the new covenant has made Christians children of God. They try to keep the law even though it is not possible. Many Messianic Jews do not even believe that Jesus is God. The funny thing is, some Messianic Jews themselves admit they are not Christians.
First of all the term Messianic Jew is really used broadly and some Messianic Jews are just calling themselves that because they are Jewish Christians. But there are some that have beliefs like you describe here. As for them; I can't judge them although I believe they're wrong. Only God knows their heart.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
So you believe the scriptures say that not everyone is able to receive the Holy Spirit if they Believe the Gospel?
Don't put words in my mouth, Barry. If you think that's what I said, then quote my exact words as evidence that you're right.

Clara Tea

Anyone who believes in Christ is a Christian (by definition). They might worship differently, but so do all of the various sects who worship various different Christian bibles.

Some professed Christians worship Satan, in secret. For example, Presidents George Herbert Walker Bush and his son, George W. Bush, both were members of Skull and Bones in Yale. Skull and Bones had its own bible and own religion. Members would do things like steal the skeletal remains of a famous Indian (which is what Prescott Bush did). All members sit around cauldrons with weird Satanic ingredients (eye of newt (Gingrich?), toe of toad, etc). As they stir the cauldron, they summon Satan though chants (and not by chance).

There are many Christians in the world, including Mormons (Church of Latter Day Saints).

John1.12

Free gift
Anyone who believes in Christ is a Christian (by definition). They might worship differently, but so do all of the various sects who worship various different Christian bibles.

Some professed Christians worship Satan, in secret. For example, Presidents George Herbert Walker Bush and his son, George W. Bush, both were members of Skull and Bones in Yale. Skull and Bones had its own bible and own religion. Members would do things like steal the skeletal remains of a famous Indian (which is what Prescott Bush did). All members sit around cauldrons with weird Satanic ingredients (eye of newt (Gingrich?), toe of toad, etc). As they stir the cauldron, they summon Satan though chants (and not by chance).

There are many Christians in the world, including Mormons (Church of Latter Day Saints).
The bible is a little more exact . Only people that have received the Holy spirit belong to God . Therefore as far as God is concerned these are the only ones that are a Christian.

GardenLady

@Teritos, you seem highly invested in this issue. Why? Are we not, according to Scripture, to "work out OUR OWN salvation"? Are we not told by the Savior not to judge? Why is it so important to you to persistently argue that Messianic Jews are not Christians?

Teritos

@Teritos, you seem highly invested in this issue. Why? Are we not, according to Scripture, to "work out OUR OWN salvation"? Are we not told by the Savior not to judge? Why is it so important to you to persistently argue that Messianic Jews are not Christians?
I'm just quoting Paul. And to clarify once again, Messianic Jews do not consider themselves Christians.

May I ask which denomination you belong to?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Then why are you circumcising yourselves? If I'm writing an exam and I already know I'm not going to pass the exam, why should I register for the exam?

There is no salvation through the law, but through faith alone. Whoever binds himself to the law is out of grace according to Paul.

Huh? I was circumcised on the eighth day after birth in my home as a Jew. About 20 years later I got saved. I don't advocate circumcision for believers!

Binding to the law does not remove the believer's assurance, only their peace and effectiveness.

Teritos

Huh? I was circumcised on the eighth day after birth in my home as a Jew. About 20 years later I got saved. I don't advocate circumcision for believers!
Then you are not like the other Messianic Jews who today still claim circumcision is a commandment of God.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Under Jewish Law, circumcision is only a requirement for Jews, thus not Gentiles. Within Christianity, it is not a requirement for either.

Redemptionsong

Paul's teaching, supported by Peter and the other apostles, provides us with the doctrine for the Church today. This doctrine is clear and unambiguous - to live by grace, through faith. All our works are to be works of faith, not works of self-righteousness. The Holy Spirit is bestowed on those who place their faith in Christ, the righteousness of God.

The law acts as a safety net for those who fail to walk by the Spirit. The law provides a framework that ensures freedom is not misused, and which false teachers cannot spiritually abuse.

It's worth remembering that the law is necessary if there is to be justice within the community. One cannot have a society based on grace alone. lMO, one has to distinguish between an individual's salvation and the rule of law in society.

GardenLady

Paul's teaching, supported by Peter and the other apostles, provides us with the doctrine for the Church today.

Why are so many people obsessed with Paul? Are the words of the savior as recorded in the gospels not enough? Paul's rules and formulas go way beyond what Jesus told us.

Redemptionsong

Why are so many people obsessed with Paul? Are the words of the savior as recorded in the gospels not enough? Paul's rules and formulas go way beyond what Jesus told us.
Paul was chosen by Jesus Christ to be the apostle to the Gentiles. He also preached the Gospel to Jews located outside of Judea. So, Paul, born of the tribe of Benjamin, and a Pharisee by training, was the ideal person to be chief Christian missionary.

The reason that the four Gospels do not provide a complete story of Christ's work on earth is because the promise of Christ, his testament, is found in the book of Acts. The promise of the Holy Spirit was not fulfilled until the day of Pentecost, when the Comforter came. This event marks the beginning of the Christian Church, and is explained by Paul in his teaching.

The difference between Christian 'religion' and faith in Jesus Christ is knowledge. This knowledge only comes from the indwelling Spirit of Christ, the Holy Spirit. As Jesus himself said, you cannot enter the kingdom of God without being 'born again'.