• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Messianic Jews Christians?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
But is "born again" a one-shotter? With the Parable of the Seed & Sower, it says one can lost their salvation. Also, Paul entices the disciples to try and reconvert those whom have left the Way.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
In my opinion, according to the Bible, they are not Christians. They still live in the old covenant, they circumcise themselves, they celebrate the Sabbath and they also keep other laws of Moses. They still live like a servant of God although the new covenant has made Christians children of God. They try to keep the law even though it is not possible. Many Messianic Jews do not even believe that Jesus is God. The funny thing is, some Messianic Jews themselves admit they are not Christians.
At most, they would be very heretical Christians, I suppose.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
In my opinion, according to the Bible, they are not Christians. They still live in the old covenant, they circumcise themselves, they celebrate the Sabbath and they also keep other laws of Moses. They still live like a servant of God although the new covenant has made Christians children of God. They try to keep the law even though it is not possible. Many Messianic Jews do not even believe that Jesus is God. The funny thing is, some Messianic Jews themselves admit they are not Christians.
They believe Jesus, their "messiah," died for their sins, rose from the dead, and will come again. That makes them a form of Christians.

At the very best, they are a synchronistic religion, meaning that they combine two religions, Christianity and Judaism. And that is only some of them. You see, MJ's are not a united bunch. The only thing they really agree on is that Jesus is the messiah and that it is okay to keep the law. Everything else is up for grabs.

But you do have those occasional MJ congregations that do keep the Torah, even some that keep the Torah and give weight to the Oral Torah (see the Messianic Jewish Rabbinical Council). I think we must admit that these few are indeed influenced by Judaism as well as by Christianity. Interestingly, it is this branch of MJ which discourages non-Jews from attending their services unless they are intermarried, and actually has majorities of Jews. Mark Kinzer, in "Post Missionary Messianic Judaism" argues fervently that MJ is a Judaism. I would disagree with him most strongly. But I would acknowledge that his brand of MJ is indeed synchronistic.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The question is why should someone keep the Law of Moses if according to the NT it does no good? Or are you of the opinion that someone can get recognition before God by keeping the law?

A person who circumcises himself for religious reasons is obliged to keep the whole law, and for him the grace of Jesus is over, unless he repents, according to the bible.

I believe I don't know of anywhere in the Bible that says the Law is no good.

I definitely believe God recognizes the righteous.

I believe I will say it again. You are misinterpreting what Paul is saying. He is saying if you think you are obligated to keep one part of the law the you are obligated to keep all of it. Certainly by grace we keep the laws that Jesus wants us to keep. The law does not go away it simply becomes fulfilled by Jesus