• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Jehovah's Witnesses False Prophets?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
yes they are trying to spread the word of Jesus, but at the same time they are spreading fallacies, which shouldn't be accepted either way

Maybe or maybe not.

My point was that people, especially Christians are so quick to label JW and LDS as being members of a cult or being inferior to the "typical" Protestant YET it all boils down to different biblical interpretation. I may not agree with all of the viewpoints of the above said religious groups but my disagreeance doesn't necessarily make their religious beliefs complete fallacies. In fact...Trinity belief aside...LDS and JW believe as I do that Christ Jesus is THE ONLY way to our Heavenly Father.

There's much that I don't agree with and that is reciprocated but there's also MUCH that IS VERY similar in our belief systems and I can't comfortably say that they're spreading complete fallacies. And it is now rubbing me the wrong way, when these people are accused of being part of a cult.

I stand firm on the belief that we should be sharing the gospel, not "selling" our religion (in terms of denomination) but when one's focus is ON Christ...I don't this is an issue...whether you're a JW, a Mormon, a Baptist...whatever.

the texts of offshoot churches are not in way similar to the New Test.
Jesus was the Messiah,

Most of the LDS that I've encountered read from the same Bible that I do. And although I know that many JW read from the New World Translation which I would agree isn't the BEST translation...it's still very much the Word of God. The greatest clash of views I encounter is the lack of belief in the Trinity but you know...I still believe with all of my heart that if Christ is in the driver's seat of your life...you're saved...period. ANd BOTH JW and LDS believe that Christ is THE Messiah. They believe that Christ and God are one in PURPOSE, not One in the SAME as I do and as most protestants do. Our NT texts are not SO far off that God's message for our salvation is lost. The message is very much the same. CHRIST is OUR Salvation.

yes we are supposed to be helping spread the word but the way they go about it is not the right way, by coming up to peoples houses, they are crossing boundaries that most people are comfortable with, and Ive spoken to many door to door JWs And Mormons and I know their techniques, which their church teaches them. And it is not the best way to approach people, or try to communicate with them. People dont want to feel like they are being encountered by a spawn of a corporate entiity, or basisically a wandering salesman. they want to spoken to in a heartfelt sincere manner.

On one token I understand where you're coming from but you know you can always refrain and decline from speaking to them if they come to your home.

Christ commissioned us to GET OUT and spread the gospel. That is the greatest responsibility of each and every Christian is to live as Christ-like as possible...to get out into the world and shine, so that others will DESIRE to know Christ. LDS and JW do this. And I commend them for doing so.

Now, again...if one comes to my door trying to convert me...trying to SELL a religion...then like you, I don't want to hear it. I can't say with certainty though that this is the underlying "agenda". If the intent on their hearts & minds (which I don't know, somehow I think it is) is to SHARE the message of Christ...then they ARE doing as Christ instructed...getting out and spreading the Word.

You have to get to know people before you approach them in such a manner about such a topic.

Ask yourself what Christ would do in ANY situation. We are supposed to reach out to complete strangers. Christ tells us that HE IS the begger on the street. He IS the sick. He IS the poor. He IS the broken. Would we walk away from Christ?

We ARE his hands and feet. We should ALWAYS be willing to approach people and spread the Word. It's our primary purpose as Christians.

Anyways the practices of offshoot churches are in some ways oppressive and should not be spread. For example JWs fashion of excommunication, it is an unfair practice and by doing so they cause families to slpit up and endure years of pain.

I'm not a JW...so I don't know what the rules are pertaining to excommunication.

Doensn't sound fair to me but I'm not really in the position to accurately ascertain what does or doesn't occur in a church that I've never stepped foot in.

How is this Godly?

I don't really have an answer for you. I'm not a JW. If it was too terribly opressing, I doubt they'd have the number of followers that they do.

Further, in this country, we each have the right to freedom of religion. If a particular religion is far too opressive for one's liking...there's always the option to explore another religious avenue. And I'm not sure how much of the whole "brainwashing" concept I buy.

Jesus came to earth to free the spirit of mankind, and to stop the perpetuating practices of religious oppression, to set us free, yet here we are in modern times still allowing ourselves to be enslaved by our own mandmade rules.

I agree. I am 100% about the PERSONAL relationship with Christ. I attend a Pentecostal church because it's the place of worship that suits my worship style. I am a Christian, first and foremost and I can establish a relationship with Christ...if church is completely erased from my Sunday morning routine.

I do not see this as Godly, and I want no affiliation whatsoever with any entity that perpetuates oppression, whether they believe in jesus or not.

And it's your right to feel this way. I would agree.

I'm stating that although I don't agree with EVERYTHING that the LDS and JW believe...I choose not to label them as cults or label them as being any LESS Christian than I am.

I choose to take another religious avenue. I STILL consider them my brothers and sisters in Christ.

This is where my oppinion differs from yours,
when I go out to save people Iam trying to save them and set them free from the silly ideals of THIS world, not to enslave them or oppress them in any way.

I'm Pentecostal. Your views and mine are incredibly similar when it comes to establishing a free and liberating style of worship.

It's all about Christ for me. I'm bound to Christ...not my religion.

My entire point was to illustrate that although our views may differ from other religious denominations...it doesn't mean that those who DO think differently are any less Christian than you and I.

And I've found a beautiful liberation in loving my brother and sister, regardless. And I believe this is what I was instructed in the Word to do.

When we're patient and understanding of one another...we can UNITE. And I think that's where the "church" needs to be headed...focusing on the SINGULAR body...because all who are in Christ are part of not many different bodies of Christ but ONE Body...ONE Kingdom.

may

literal visionary said:
yeah instead of settling with someone tell you and accepting what they say, why dont you seek out what you crave and fill your own head with knowledge, instead of letting others do it for you
yes seeking Jehovah is the right thing to do, as the bible itself tells me, then we can conceal ourselves , ...... Zephaniah 2;3
seek Jehovah, all YOU meek ones of the earth, who have practiced His own judicial decision. Seek righteousness, seek meekness. Probably YOU may be concealed in the day of Jehovah’s anger. ................. yes ,as i have learnt from my study of the bible, being on Gods side is the best place to be, but it is up to us as individuals if we have concealed ourselves or not , i have made my choice to seek Jehovahs ways , from my own personal study of the bible ,it leads to everlasting life,
This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ. John 17;3 for me, i love taking in knowledge about Jehovah God and JesusChrist .......... its great

beckysoup61 said:
And why's that?

what do they have to offer that isnt already imbedded in Christianity and Judaism? Besides a strong belief in the 144,000 idea in Revelations and the quest for immortality. Oh and they happen to use Jehovah as "the" name for God when God has so many other names. I mean look at Jehovah's Witnesses as a whole. It offers nothin that isnt already there and it only offers a single sided perspective of an irrelevant point (name of GOD). So, I see JW as a useless faction.

nutshell

Malkav's Knight said:
what do they have to offer that isnt already imbedded in Christianity and Judaism? Besides a strong belief in the 144,000 idea in Revelations and the quest for immortality. Oh and they happen to use Jehovah as "the" name for God when God has so many other names. I mean look at Jehovah's Witnesses as a whole. It offers nothin that isnt already there and it only offers a single sided perspective of an irrelevant point (name of GOD). So, I see JW as a useless faction.

Couldn't the same thing be said for many Christian groups? What differentiates the Luthern from the Baptist from the Adventist from the Episcopalean? Seems you're targeting a specific group when the claims you make apply to the whole.

Bishka

Veteran Member
nutshell said:
Couldn't the same thing be said for many Christian groups? What differentiates the Luthern from the Baptist from the Adventist from the Episcopalean? Seems you're targeting a specific group when the claims you make apply to the whole.

Well said! :clap

nutshell said:

Thats my point....the factioning of Christianity is a useless gesture. They more or less believe the same basics, but vary on pointless pieces of Catholic and/or Orthodox traditions. Christianity is a faction of Judaism...Catholicism was the first mass Christian order, then came the Orthodox around the same time...Then later, the Lutherans and Calvanists started the Protestant Reformation creating the Third Christian Faction. From there, Protestant groups emerged more and more. Now there are hundreds of factions operating in the US alone, partly because of the Freedom of Religion act in the 1st Amendment.

may

i see a big difference between JW and christendom, JW recognize that Jesus was made king of Gods heavenly kingdom in 1914, inline with bible chronology and prophecy, christendom do not recognize his kingship , also christendom have taken on babylonish teachings , trinity, hellfire, immortality of the human soul, purgatry, etc ect, JW have cast these beliefs away from them, because they are not inline with bible teaching, if JW learn that something is not inline with the bible ,we cast it off , they are humble enough to change things if it is wrong in Gods eyes , as time goes on the light gets brighter and brighter and the path gets clearer and clearer . participation in wars or political controversies of this world is something that is wrong in Gods eyes ,so they are no part of that. yes i think they are different to christendom ,in fact christendom is more likely to be at the forefront of political things , Jesus did not teach us that.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
may said:
i see a big difference between JW and christendom, JW recognize that Jesus was made king of Gods heavenly kingdom in 1914, inline with bible chronology and prophecy, christendom do not recognize his kingship , also christendom have taken on babylonish teachings , trinity, hellfire, immortality of the human soul, purgatry, etc ect, JW have cast these beliefs away from them, because they are not inline with bible teaching, if JW learn that something is not inline with the bible ,we cast it off , they are humble enough to change things if it is wrong in Gods eyes , as time goes on the light gets brighter and brighter and the path gets clearer and clearer . participation in wars or political controversies of this world is something that is wrong in Gods eyes ,so they are no part of that. yes i think they are different to christendom ,in fact christendom is more likely to be at the forefront of political things , Jesus did not teach us that.

This is almost insulting.

You're taking alot of different beliefs and placing them under one blanket label "Christiandom".

If you want to discuss being "in line" with biblical teaching...I think you'll find that many of the differences between different Bible believing religious sects boils down to differences in INTERPRETATION and APPLICATION of interpretation.

I made an honest attempt to point out similarities...for the sake of showing that there are unifying and universal biblical concepts between different Christian sects.

In a way, I feel almost as if that attempt was cheapened by the reponse.

And although I won't slap a label of "false prophet" upon JW's...it's almost hurtful to learn that the JW's separate themselves in such a way from Christians and yet claim to follow the teachings of the very SAME Jesus Christ.

I was under the impression that we are part of ONE body.

No flame intended against you...I'm almost dissapointed that I was so wrong about certain things...and I hope to learn from an actual JW as opposed to making wrongful assumptions.

Babylonish teachings? The teachings that most Christians follow are the very same that are in your Bible.

Am I misreading you here? Maybe you could clarify...

And truly, no disrespect intended...I'm just a bit shocked by your response and would just like to understand where you're coming from.

may

dawny0826 said:
This is almost insulting.

You're taking alot of different beliefs and placing them under one blanket label "Christiandom".

If you want to discuss being "in line" with biblical teaching...I think you'll find that many of the differences between different Bible believing religious sects boils down to differences in INTERPRETATION and APPLICATION of interpretation.

I made an honest attempt to point out similarities...for the sake of showing that there are unifying and universal biblical concepts between different Christian sects.

In a way, I feel almost as if that attempt was cheapened by the reponse.

And although I won't slap a label of "false prophet" upon JW's...it's almost hurtful to learn that the JW's separate themselves in such a way from Christians and yet claim to follow the teachings of the very SAME Jesus Christ.

I was under the impression that we are part of ONE body.

No flame intended against you...I'm almost dissapointed that I was so wrong about certain things...and I hope to learn from an actual JW as opposed to making wrongful assumptions.

Babylonish teachings? The teachings that most Christians follow are the very same that are in your Bible.

Am I misreading you here? Maybe you could clarify...

And truly, no disrespect intended...I'm just a bit shocked by your response and would just like to understand where you're coming from.
bible prophecy is now well along in this time of the end, and i dont see anyone other than JW recognizing Jesus kingship in the heavens in 1914, Jesus being made king in the heavens in 1914 is the fullfillment of bible prophecy and chronology , so we are different from other christians , i am only saying it how it is. and if we go back to the roots of many beliefs Trinity, hellfire, immortality of the human soul, etc, ect, we learn that they come from babylonish teachings , that is the way it is, i am only saying how it is, i am not saying it to get at anyone , it is just how it is , and christendom is at the forefront of political things would you not agree?keeping to what Jesus taught is very important to JW , but i see people calling themselves christians ,but they are very much a part of the world and its political things. and again i am only saying what i see.

cardero

Citizen Mod
This weekend I met my new neighbor (we were both working outside in our yards) and somehow the conversation turned to religion. When I told him that I had a group of Jehovah Witnesses over to study the Bible, he proceeded to invite me into his house and offered me some things to read.

This one interested me the most (maybe because of the footnotes). Some other links had provided the same claims but were references as well.

http://www.irr.org/English-JW/jwfacten.html

Now I understand that someone cannot believe everything they read and the posters of this site may have a hidden agenda but what I was mainly wondering is how much of this website is accurate and what are your feelings, beliefs or knowledge of these allegations?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
bible prophecy is now well along in this time of the end, and i dont see anyone other than JW recognizing Jesus kingship in the heavens in 1914

This is because it is only those of your religion who interpret things this way. Most protestants believe that Christ always HAS had kingship in the heavens.

, Jesus being made king in the heavens in 1914 is the fullfillment of bible prophecy and chronology , so we are different from other christians

So, do you consider yourselves Christians at all? You say other Christians...I kind of was under the impression from your last post that the JW choose to separate themselves from the blanket label of "Christian" all together.

, i am only saying it how it is. and if we go back to the roots of many beliefs Trinity, hellfire, immortality of the human soul, etc, ect, we learn that they come from babylonish teachings

No. These teachings are very much biblical. I think it winds down to difference in interpretation. The bible DOES portray Father, Son and Holy Ghost as one...you simply interpret this "oneness" differently. According to the Bible...hellfire...condemnation in the afterlife are very real concepts. The body is flesh...it is the soul that lives on, according to the word.

Difference in interpretation, coupled with different religious teachings and traditions.

that is the way it is, i am only saying how it is, i am not saying it to get at anyone , it is just how it is

I certainly view things a bit different but we're both entitled to our own personal beliefs as we are to our opinions and I do appreciate the fact that you took the time to address my post.

, and christendom is at the forefront of political things would you not agree?keeping to what Jesus taught is very important to JW , but i see people calling themselves christians ,but they are very much a part of the world and its political things. and again i am only saying what i see.

I believe that many are at the forefront of politics...not ONLY Christians. In fact, I would say that a great deal of politicians who are NOT Christian are the forefront of politics. And we view religion and and political involvement differently.

There's a lot I don't understand about your faith and I do thank you again, for taking the time to respond. My intentions were to highlight points that unify different God fearing religions. I would much rather "talk" about these things then make wrongful assumptions, if you know what I mean? :)

Super Universe

Defender of God
may said:
bible prophecy is now well along in this time of the end, and i dont see anyone other than JW recognizing Jesus kingship in the heavens in 1914, Jesus being made king in the heavens in 1914 is the fullfillment of bible prophecy and chronology , so we are different from other christians , i am only saying it how it is. and if we go back to the roots of many beliefs Trinity, hellfire, immortality of the human soul, etc, ect, we learn that they come from babylonish teachings , that is the way it is, i am only saying how it is, i am not saying it to get at anyone , it is just how it is , and christendom is at the forefront of political things would you not agree?keeping to what Jesus taught is very important to JW , but i see people calling themselves christians ,but they are very much a part of the world and its political things. and again i am only saying what i see.

Dear Miss May:
The 1914 date comes from your human JW leadership, not from the bible. Have you ever asked them what happened to the 1874 date of Christ's return that Charles Taze Russell taught?

The Watchtower and Awake magazines have also professed that armaggedon was to come many times.

God does not favor one over the other. God did not create the Jehovah's Witness religion just as He did not create any other religion.

Religion is a creation of Man. Some human decided that we needed structure. We needed a place to go, things to see, and feel so we can truly prove our faith to others.

Doing this completely misses the point.

God wants you to find him in your own unique way. Look inside yourself, trust yourself.

How can any person choose to put their faith in a church instead of their own God given soul?

Don't expect your church to save you, you have to do that yourself.

bunny1ohio

Granted I didn't read through every single reply to this post, so I'm not sure if I'm repeating anybody or not.... But isn't one of the basic tenets of JW religion that they do not believe in the existence of a soul? If true, I would consider that to be a false prophet according to mainstream Christian belief.... other than that I wouldn't know as I am not really familiar with the religion.

may

cardero said:
This weekend I met my new neighbor (we were both working outside in our yards) and somehow the conversation turned to religion. When I told him that I had a group of Jehovah Witnesses over to study the Bible, he proceeded to invite me into his house and offered me some things to read.

This one interested me the most (maybe because of the footnotes). Some other links had provided the same claims but were references as well.

http://www.irr.org/English-JW/jwfacten.html

Now I understand that someone cannot believe everything they read and the posters of this site may have a hidden agenda but what I was mainly wondering is how much of this website is accurate and what are your feelings, beliefs or knowledge of these allegations?
I find that if a person really wants to know what JW believe they will do as you are rightly doing , have a bible study with them . then you can make your own mind up . http://www.watchtower.org/ and i find its always best to go to the true source of what they teach

may

bunny1ohio said:
Granted I didn't read through every single reply to this post, so I'm not sure if I'm repeating anybody or not.... But isn't one of the basic tenets of JW religion that they do not believe in the existence of a soul? If true, I would consider that to be a false prophet according to mainstream Christian belief.... other than that I wouldn't know as I am not really familiar with the religion.

WHEN you hear the terms "soul" and "spirit," what comes to your mind? Many believe that these words mean something invisible and immortal that exists inside us. They think that at death this invisible part of a human leaves the body and lives on. Since this belief is so widespread, many are surprised to learn that it is not at all what the Bible teaches. so JW do not believe in the immortality of the human soul

may

Super Universe said:
Dear Miss May:
The 1914 date comes from your human JW leadership, not from the bible. Have you ever asked them what happened to the 1874 date of Christ's return that Charles Taze Russell taught?

The Watchtower and Awake magazines have also professed that armaggedon was to come many times.

God does not favor one over the other. God did not create the Jehovah's Witness religion just as He did not create any other religion.

Religion is a creation of Man. Some human decided that we needed structure. We needed a place to go, things to see, and feel so we can truly prove our faith to others.

Doing this completely misses the point.

God wants you to find him in your own unique way. Look inside yourself, trust yourself.

How can any person choose to put their faith in a church instead of their own God given soul?

Don't expect your church to save you, you have to do that yourself.
we are now in the time of the end for man to rule himself independent of God . and the last days started in 1914 when Jesus was made king of Gods heavenly kingdom goverment, its all happening in the last days, out dated thoughts are no good to us now, we have to look at whats happening now in the last days, things have been happening , and it is being revealed. thrilling times indeed

Super Universe

Defender of God
may said:

WHEN you hear the terms "soul" and "spirit," what comes to your mind? Many believe that these words mean something invisible and immortal that exists inside us. They think that at death this invisible part of a human leaves the body and lives on. Since this belief is so widespread, many are surprised to learn that it is not at all what the Bible teaches. so JW do not believe in the immortality of the human soul

If you choose to follow men, then follow them.

God will be waiting for you to grow up.