• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Jehovah's Witnesses False Prophets?

Bangbang

What do you think? I was a practicing JW for 7 years. Many JW's are very sincere about their beliefs and follow the instruction from the Elders who are passing down instruction from the Governing Body of The Watctower Bible and Tract Society that claims to be led by the Holy Spirit. If this is true then why have they preached and published erroneous information. Many people have been disfellowshiped(excommunicated) for not following or agreeing with the teachings handed down by the Governing Body. Members of the Governing Body have even admitted to making errors. Whats up with that? BTW.....I was never disfellowshipped. On my last day in the Kingdom Hall I gave a speech that included me telling the congregation to turn their attention to the Bible and not so much on the Watchtower Magazine. I never returned to the Kingedom Hall and have had very little association with any JW since.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Bangbang said:
What do you think? I was a practicing JW for 7 years. Many JW's are very sincere about their beliefs and follow the instruction from the Elders who are passing down instruction from the Governing Body of The Watctower Bible and Tract Society that claims to be led by the Holy Spirit. If this is true then why have they preached and published erroneous information. Many people have been disfellowshiped(excommunicated) for not following or agreeing with the teachings handed down by the Governing Body. Members of the Governing Body have even admitted to making errors. Whats up with that? BTW.....I was never disfellowshipped. On my last day in the Kingdom Hall I gave a speech that included me telling the congregation to turn their attention to the Bible and not so much on the Watchtower Magazine. I never returned to the Kingedom Hall and have had very little association with any JW since.
The little I know about JW's is from when they have called on me; most seemed extremely pleasant, and happy to accept that I have my own views. Obviously therefore, I can say little about them.;)

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Well, how does that argument that you were displeased with the church make them false prophets? Unless they've said something prophetical... could you possibly write down what their beliefs are. I'm ignorant to what JW's believe...

Bangbang

michel said:
The little I know about JW's is from when they have called on me; most seemed extremely pleasant, and happy to accept that I have my own views. Obviously therefore, I can say little about them.;)
I left the organization in 1981 as did many others. I do know they have changed some views and policies. I am currently still recovering from my association with them. I did gain a lot of bible knowledge during my association with them but in time came up with many questions that I did not feel I could freely discuss with the Elders without getting disfellowshipped. In time I did not care anymore. I am now reading a "In Search of Christian Freedom" writtenby Raymond Franz. He is a former member of the Govering Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. I wish I had read this book when it first came out. It has been very informative and a pleasure to read. I recommend it to any JW or student of the Bible. However Iam sure it is one of those the JW's Governing Body has banned the Witnesses from reading.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't know whether they're false prophets or not. I do know, however -- from experience -- that people who have left a religion are not generally the most reliable source of information about that religion. In most cases, they seem to harbor quite a bit of hostility towards their former Church, and tend to present its teachings in a less than objective light.

Bangbang

Katzpur said:
I don't know whether they're false prophets or not. I do know, however -- from experience -- that people who have left a religion are not generally the most reliable source of information about that religion. In most cases, they seem to harbor quite a bit of hostility towards their former Church, and tend to present its teachings in a less than objective light.
I understand your concern. That is why I posted the above websites.

jonny

I would say that a false prophet is anyone who leads you away from the teachings of Christ. I don't think that you can lump the whole organization into that category. There are probably members in every organization that would fall into the category of "false prophets."

Bangbang

jonny said:
I would say that a false prophet is anyone who leads you away from the teachings of Christ. I don't think that you can lump the whole organization into that category. There are probably members in every organization that would fall into the category of "false prophets."
Why and how would a member that belongs to an organization that teaches the teachings of Christ with the aid of the Holy Spirit lead one away from the teachings of Christ?

jonny

Bangbang said:
Why and how would a member that belongs to an organization that teaches the teachings of Christ with the aid of the Holy Spirit lead one away from the teachings of Christ?
They probably wouldn't.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
First it was "Slam the Catholics" and now its "Slam the JWs". I find this behaviour trollish at the very best.

A better tact on a forum as this would be to discuss those SPECIFIC areas that you disagree with.

As for them being "False Prophets", I will leave you with this:

Philippians 1:15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. NIV

Nehustan

As there are people here (i.e. the original poster) I'd like to ask a few questions concerning the knowledge spread within the 'JW' (seems to be the abbreviation!) concerning Tetragrammaton/IHVH/'The Father', Pentagrammaton/IHShVH, 'The Son', and Ruach Elohim/RUCh ALHIM/'The spirit of God', and of course The God/ALH/Eloha. As these people witness to Jahweh I wondered what 'the inside scoop' was on their knowledge?

may

Nehustan said:
As there are people here (i.e. the original poster) I'd like to ask a few questions concerning the knowledge spread within the 'JW' (seems to be the abbreviation!) concerning Tetragrammaton/IHVH/'The Father', Pentagrammaton/IHShVH, 'The Son', and Ruach Elohim/RUCh ALHIM/'The spirit of God', and of course The God/ALH/Eloha. As these people witness to Jahweh I wondered what 'the inside scoop' was on their knowledge?
Holy spirit.....Gods active force
Jehovah is actually the basic Source of knowledge

godly fear puts one in position to gain accurate knowledge,

Nehustan

Thanks for the reply as you yourself are a JW. You do however only seem to reply to two parts of my question. The question was on the knowledge propagated on four elements of the faith, these being Jahweh, Jehehsuah, Ruach Elohim, and of course Eloah. These four are instrisictly linked and in fact are interrelated. I have often wondered as the JW 'bear witness to Jahweh' what there position is on these four and as I said the general knowledge base. I do hope that such things are not considered 'secret' as I do dislike religions that believe in knowledge as social capital and its control.

Thanks again

Solon

Bangbang said:
If one doesn't believe in Jehovah, and I don't. Then my answer is simply yes, they are false prophets by following a false belief. That is perfectly logical in my view.

S

Nehustan

May I ask Solon do you believe that, metaphysically at least, the 'clay' of the earth comprises the four alchemical elements: Fire Water Air and Earth?

Steve

I believe many of their teachings are unbiblical.
Much of the objections discussed at the following page i agree with - http://www.carm.org/witnesses.htm

Some central concerns from a christian point of view are the denial of Christ as God, instead claiming he is the archangel michael.

following false prophecies found at http://www.carm.org/jw/false_prophecies.htm eg
1918 "Therefore we may confidently expect that 1925 will mark the return of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and the faithful prophets of old, particularly those named by the Apostle in Hebrews 11, to the condition of human perfection." Millions Now Living Will Never Die, page 89.

1922 "The date 1925 is even more distinctly indicated by the Scriptures than 1914." The Watchtower 9/1/22, page 262.

1923 "Our thought is, that 1925 is definitely settled by the Scriptures. As to Noah, the Christian now has much more upon which to base his faith than Noah had upon which to base his faith in a coming deluge." The Watchtower, page 106 4/1/23.

1925 "The year 1925 is here. With great expectation Christians have looked forward to this year. Many have confidently expected that all members of the body of Christ will be changed to heavenly glory during this year. This may be accomplished. It may not be. In his own due time God will accomplish his purposes concerning his people. Christians should not be so deeply concerned about what may transpire this year." The Watchtower, 1/1/25, page. 3.

1925 "It is to be expected that Satan will try to inject into the minds of the consecrated, the thought that 1925 should see an end to the work." The Watchtower, Sept, 1925 page 262.

1926 "Some anticipated that the work would end in 1925, but the Lord did not state so. The difficulty was that the friends inflated their imaginations beyond reason; and that when their imaginations burst asunder, they were inclined to throw away everything." The Watchtower, page 232.

1931 "There was a measure of disappointment on the part of Jehovah's faithful ones on earth concerning the years 1917, 1918, and 1925, which disappointment lasted for a time...and they also learned to quit fixing dates." Vindication, page 338.

1941 "Receiving the gift, the marching children clasped it to them, not a toy or plaything for idle pleasure, but the Lord's provided instrument for most effective work in the remaining months before Armageddon." The Watchtower, 9/15/41, page 288.

1968 "True, there have been those in times past who predicted an ‘end to the world', even announcing a specific date. Yet nothing happened. The ‘end' did not come. They were guilty of false prophesying. Why? What was missing?.. Missing from such people were God's truths and evidence that he was using and guiding them." Awake, 10/8/68.

Steve

Also their willingness to bend their nwo "translation" of scripture to suit their doctrine. eg - http://www.carm.org/jw/nwt_proskuneo.htm

'The word "proskuneo" occurs 55 times in the Watchtower Kingdome Interlinear. Of those 55, 15 are in reference to Jesus with 40 used of others. 27% of the usage is of Jesus and not a single reference is translated as "worship" even though in reference to the devil, demons, idols, etc., they do translate it as worship. If this doesn't demonstrate their bias, then what does?'

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NetDoc said:
First it was "Slam the Catholics" and now its "Slam the JWs". I find this behaviour trollish at the very best.

A better tact on a forum as this would be to discuss those SPECIFIC areas that you disagree with.

As for them being "False Prophets", I will leave you with this:

Philippians 1:15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. NIV
Good point, though
would be to discuss those SPECIFIC areas that you disagree with.
The trouble with those is that they are often the most confrontational ones.........