• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Hindus 'aping' Abrahamic faiths?

Chisti

Namaste,

I hope this doesn't offend any Hindus, but isn't it true that Hindus became more and more Abrahamic after their contact with Muslims and Christians? For instance, polytheism was slowly replaced by 'one supreme God' concept - this wasn't the case in ancient India where all gods were treated alike, they all had more or less the same power.

Then Hindus also started claiming holy land like Benares, just as Christians have their Vatican and Muslims the Mecca. Also nationalism, which was prominent in Abrahamic faiths, especially Judaism, has now become part of Hinduism as well - India only for Hindus, and so on.

As one can see, Hindus are modeling their religion after Abrahamic faiths. Does anyone else feel that way?

Chisti

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No, I see it as a slow change over time: one of infiltration by the western faiths. Not total assimilation like happened with some now extinct religions, but just what happens naturally when you're too nice. Some very liberal hindus, now prone to terming themselves universalists (Self-realisation fellowship, for example) may have done this as a reason to have people listen to the message at first.

But now, within orthodox Hinduism there is either indifference, or disdain for Christianity, as we've opened up realisation of the true goal: conversion at any cost.

I do see Abrahamic faiths aping Hinduism though. Yoga is a great example of this. Teaching meditataion techniques is another.

The two systems are light years apart.

bhaktajan

Hindus became more and more Abrahamic after their contact with Muslims and Christians?

Your conflating patriotism with wonderlust elements of human endeavor.

Here is the far far more cynical reality:
Hindus are becaming more and more like Mafia Cartels after their contact with Muslims and Christians!

Apparently, successions of earlier dictatorial expansionists had influenced the methods of many hoard leader wannabes.

High thinking combined with Simply living is best ---inorderd to avoid the [endlessly repeating]fate that the Abrahmic's grandfathers endure among themselves thoughout western history.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend chisti,

Are Hindus 'aping' Abrahamic faiths?
Namaste,

I hope this doesn't offend any Hindus, but isn't it true that Hindus became more and more Abrahamic after their contact with Muslims and Christians? For instance, polytheism was slowly replaced by 'one supreme God' concept - this wasn't the case in ancient India where all gods were treated alike, they all had more or less the same power.

Then Hindus also started claiming holy land like Benares, just as Christians have their Vatican and Muslims the Mecca. Also nationalism, which was prominent in Abrahamic faiths, especially Judaism, has now become part of Hinduism as well - India only for Hindus, and so on.

As one can see, Hindus are modeling their religion after Abrahamic faiths. Does anyone else feel that way?

Chisti

The word *SATANA dharma* is more appropriate and so followers of sanatan dharma is better used instead of *hindusism* and *hindus*.
Next.
Sanatan dharma is an open system and open ended to mean that whatever way a human lives is his way of life and any way of life is is his religion; so by broad definition every human is a follower of sanatan dharma including those who follow Jesus or Moahammud etc.
*Brahma* is just a word used as a label to understand that of which every form and no-forms are its constituents including the human form.

Love & rgds

bhaktajan

Here is the far far more cynical reality:
Hindus are becaming more and more like Mafia Cartels after their contact with Muslims and Christians!

Apparently, successions of earlier dictatorial expansionists had influenced the methods of many hoard leader wannabes.

High thinking combined with Simply living is best ---inorder to avoid . . . grandfathers . . . sins

That is what happened after Japan Open its doors to trade with the west [via Admiral Perry c.1852] and then less then 90 years later set out to conquer China Et al.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Since Hinduism has never been averse to assimilate influences from all sources, it is not surprising if elements of Abrahamic religions may be seen reflected in some social practices among Hindus. This dynamic assimilative power is both the secret and promise of Hinduism thriving where others might flounder in the tests of time.

atanu

Premium Member
Namaste,

-- For instance, polytheism was slowly replaced by 'one supreme God' concept - this wasn't the case in ancient India where all gods were treated alike, they all had more or less the same power.

No. 'One Supreme God' is enshrined in Veda.

Then Hindus also started claiming holy land like Benares, just as Christians have their Vatican and Muslims the Mecca.

Kashi is older than any of the abrahamic religion. It is cited in Rig Veda. Gautama Buddha did sadhana near Kashi.

Not at all.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaste,

Chisti

This is a very good question. Indeed, some Hindu groups have been influenced by Abrahamic attitudes and behaviour. However, polytheism (imo) is a system of belief that is prevalent in those who are not learned in the scriptures.

What you will find is that the concept of ONE God has always existed in Hinduism/Sanatan Dharma. The Rig Veda is considered to be the oldest Hindu scripture, for those who base their ideas in evidence. Here is a popular passage:

"46 They call him Indra, Mitra, Varuṇa, Agni, and he is heavenly nobly-winged Garutmān.
To what is One, sages give many a title they call it Agni, Yama, Mātariśvan."

So as you can see, many names and deities seem to be mentioned in the ancient scriptures but these are just names and representations of the One. The later scriptures such as the Puranas and Bhagavad Gita take the essence of the ancient Vedas and 'translate' them for our understanding.

It is my belief that the idea of a Supreme God has its origins in Hinduism.

Atman

Namaste Christi.

The advent of Islam and Christianity in India certainly caused Hindus to more vehemently defend and define their theological position as being "Monotheistic", but monotheism in Hinduism far predates the advent of Christianity. As pointed out earlier the Vedas themselves in some instances certainly support a monotheistic concept of God, and Buddhist writings confirm that Vaishnava texts (Vaishnavism being a monotheistic school of thought which treats Vishnu as the supreme God) like the Mahabharata have existed since before the time of the Buddha. Likewise Greek writings confirm the existence of Shaivism and Vaishnavism by the time of Alexander the Great. Adi Shankara also formulated Advaita Vedanta, which treats all deities as aspects of the one supreme Brahman, long before Islam and Christianity came to India.

It also wouldn't take a lot of research to confirm that Kashi was considered sacred long before Islam and Christianity ever existed.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Namaste,

I hope this doesn't offend any Hindus,

This is more or less the standard introduction to something offensive, but fortunately most Hindus take a more mature approach. Some certainly wouldn't though. I don't see why on a DIR forum questions like this are alllowed. Unless its an honest mistake, which I've made myself. I think from the responses here, you've pretty much got your answer. There really is no comparison. About the only thing in common is a belief in God.

GabrielWithoutWings

Namaste,

Chisti

Do you just have a giant chip on your shoulder regarding Hindu beliefs? If so, just come out and say so instead of posting all these passive-aggressive "questions" that everyone here can figure that your mind is made up before you post.

Chisti

Do you just have a giant chip on your shoulder

In my mouth, actually.

Cartoon_Little_Boy_with_a_Giant_Chocolate_Chip_Cookie_101022-233939-748042.jpg

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Chisti, I would like to see if you have any comments after reading our answers.
Any follow-up questions? Were we helpful? Do you feel you have learned something?

Sahil1287

Hi Chisti,

'Aping' may be a bit too harsh a word to use (maybe more appropriate for the Romans that adopted the Greek religion and later on Christianity). Yes there are things that are borrowed over time from different cultures. I say cultures because the fact that people of different religions live together in a single community will eventually lead to everybody adopting certain characteristics, actions, mannerisms etc. of others in that group. It's a purely psychological reason.

You could argue the other way around that Islam borrows from Hinduism e.g. the Kaaba is the only place where Muslims circumbulate a building, wear white cloth, and there is a source of water near the place of worship. These items are all part of Hindu tradition and were simply carried on by the Muslims that settled in the Middle East. Likewise, Jesus was said to (I will find the justification for this soon) have worn orange(-ish) robes. No Hebrew person wore that type of clothing, instead, Hindu ascetics always wear the orange/red colours.

Like I said, it's purely psychological :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Chisti, I would like to see if you have any comments after reading our answers.
Any follow-up questions? Were we helpful? Do you feel you have learned something?

Wouldn't get my hopes up ... Bash and run is like slash and burn agriculture.
:)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Namaste,

Chisti

I don't think so. Most faiths tend to have similarities with each other, but I don't think they are copying each others. Hinduism is an older religion, too.

Chisti

I don't think so. Most faiths tend to have similarities with each other, but I don't think they are copying each others. Hinduism is an older religion, too.

Sorry, I was talking about Hinduism today, not in ancient times. My point is that Hindus today are very similar to those following Abrahamic faiths, except they've replaced Christ with Krishna, Mecca with Benares, or jihad with dharma yudh (as explained in Hindu scripture Bhagwat gita). Only the names have changed, the basic ideas are similar.

Edit: I believe it was Mahatma Gandhi who recognized this and tried to restore Hinduism to its original spirit. And he paid the price with his life.

Paraprakrti

Custom User
Sorry, I was talking about Hinduism today, not in ancient times. My point is that Hindus today are very similar to those following Abrahamic faiths, except they've replaced Christ with Krishna, Mecca with Benares, or jihad with dharma yudh (as explained in Hindu scripture Bhagwat gita). Only the names have changed, the basic ideas are similar.

Edit: I believe it was Mahatma Gandhi who recognized this and tried to restore Hinduism to its original spirit. And he paid the price with his life.

The Vedic concepts are the originals.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Chisti,
It is like this:
In the East where it is labelled sanatan dharma for any way of life importance to meditativeness or travelling inwards was the only important thing and still is today; however due to the necessity arsiing for survival in this dog eat dog's world of today even meditators are now travelling outwards to be abreast of the present as truth is both the silence and the vibrations out of IT.
Now, mind can only perceive what it sees which is only the outer and so your reaction.
To be part of nthe inner one needs to be meditative to understand what dharma stands for.
Love & rgds