• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Evolutionists Delusional ???

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Does it really matter? Does the speed of light or whether we are here by accident or because of a creator really change how you live your life?

Somkid

Does it really matter? Does the speed of light or whether we are here by accident or because of a creator really change how you live your life?

Yes, it does matter because the more scientific discovery we have and the more we understand about the nature of life and the universe the closer we get to answering some really big questions. If we know the true nature of the universe it just may put an end to superstition and hate and let us move forward and create a better life for ourselves and future generations.

gnostic

The Lost One
yossarian22 said:
That was the point of his 'the speed of light is slowing down' bit. It was faster before, which explains how it reached us, but it presents other problems.
As the link to article, which Painted Wolf has given us, NASA has pointed out that the speed of light has not slow down.

I'd prefer to give more credence to NASA than to the so-called Young Earth Science, because NASA does more research and testing than YES who sprouted out all sort of things without evidences to back themselves up to push their religion forward.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Yes, it does matter because the more scientific discovery we have and the more we understand about the nature of life and the universe the closer we get to answering some really big questions. If we know the true nature of the universe it just may put an end to superstition and hate and let us move forward and create a better life for ourselves and future generations.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how that follows. If the universe came into existence without a creator would that really change how people lived their lives? Would people who believed in a God who punished misbehaviour suddenly stop caring about how they treated others? Would people change their daily routine, and day-to-day lives?

How about if it was created, and proven so? Would non-theistic people suddenly go to church? Would people treat others differently than they already were?

I really don't see how it'd change anything to be honest

Francine

The idea that the speed of light was "slowing down" was the result of a goof ...naturally certain people took the mistake and ran with it.

It's funny how the rate of decrease in the velocity of light has become zero just when laboratory lasers and high-speed digital counters became available.

Somkid

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how that follows. If the universe came into existence without a creator would that really change how people lived their lives? Would people who believed in a God who punished misbehaviour suddenly stop caring about how they treated others? Would people change their daily routine, and day-to-day lives?

How about if it was created, and proven so? Would non-theistic people suddenly go to church? Would people treat others differently than they already were?

I really don't see how it'd change anything to be honest

I understand your point and as a Buddhist I agree with you because in Buddhism it simply doesn't matter. However as a professor of philosophy it does matter because if we know that we, the earth and the universe were not created by a god many people would abandon religion and see that it was pointless, that being said people may put a higher value on life as there is no after life and see how precious and limited it is thus making people reconsider over populating to promote their religions, end senseless killing and war and make people truly global citizens with more in common than not.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
From the video:
Barry satterfield(sp?), who was in Australia at the time,collected a number of measurements of the speed of light over the last 300 years.
How?
At what age did he start this collection?
How old is he now?
When was he born?
Is he dead yet?

UPDATE:
Barry setterfield was still alive on March 7, 2002
Source

An independent Russian physicist...
So independent he has no name...

The speed of light being faster means that humans could think faster back 6000 years ago?

I am going to have to watch this a few more times.
i am laughing so much I am missing most of it.

FFH

Veteran Member
Sorry, FFH, but who said said man's evolution was "millions years" old?

Homo sapiens sapiens, or the modern man is at least 25000 years old, that would be older than your young earth theory of 13000 years.

As to the speed of light. Light requires to travel over great distance, which is in proportional to time, which I am sure you already know. Even if the speed of light decrease, it would not make much difference in calculation over time. My problem is that you believe in Young Earth Science, in which the earth, solar system, galaxy and universe is only 13,000 years old.

Let me give you an example that refute your claim that the universe is only 13000 years old.

Our nearest spiral galaxy, like the Milky Way, is the Andromeda Galaxy. It is roughly 2 million light-year away from our Earth. So it would take 2 million years for light to travel from this galaxy to our planet.

If the universe was truly 13,000 years old, then we should not be able to see Andromeda Galaxy in our best and clearest telescope (the Hubble) for at least another 1,987,000 years from now. The distance between Andromeda and Earth is at 150 times greater than Young Earth's estimate of 13,000 years old.

There are many galaxies that are even further way than Andromeda. The Andromeda Galaxy is roughly twice as our galaxy. The Milky Way is around 100,000 light-year in diameter. Proxima Centauri, the closest star to us is a mere 4.3 light-year away (part of the triple system of Alpha Centauri.

How do you account for such time-distance that light require to travel to reach us?
How about my/the theory that our galaxy was created 2 million years after Andromeda ???

So by the time our galaxy was created, by God, the light reached our galaxy and was, of course, visible.

FFH

Veteran Member
"Over the past 300 years, the velocity of light has been measured 163 times by 16 different methods. (As a Naval Academy graduate, I must point out that Albert Michelson, Class of 1873, measured the speed of light at the Academy. In 1881 he measured it as 299,853 km/sec. In 1907 he was the first American to receive the Nobel Prize in the sciences. In 1923 he measured it as 299,798 km/sec. In 1933, at Irvine, CA, as 299,774 km/sec.)"

Is Light Slowing Down? (Point - Counterpoint)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Francine said:
It's funny how the rate of decrease in the velocity of light has become zero just when laboratory lasers and high-speed digital counters became available.
It is awfully convenient don't you think? :D

wa:do

FFH

Veteran Member
"Australian physicist Barry Setterfield and mathematician Trevor Norman examined all of the available experimental measurements to date and have announced a discovery: the speed of light appears to have been slowing down over the years!

Roemer, 1657 (Io eclipse): 307,600 +/- 5400 km/sec

Harvard, 1875 (same method): 299,921 +/- 13 km/sec

NBS, 1983 (laser method): 299,792.4586 +/- 0.0003 km/sec

They all are approximately 186,000 miles/second; or about one foot/nanosecond.) (See note 3.)"

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
yeah, cause 300 years ago they totally had lazer presision instruments.... :cool:

Actually the true speed of light is only measureable in a vaccume... something they couldn't get 300 years ago. Not to mention the issues with mechanical clocks back then.

FFH

Veteran Member
"This curve (speed difference*) would imply that the speed of light may have been 10-30% faster in the time of Christ; twice as fast in the days of Solomon; and four times as fast in the days of Abraham.

It would imply that the velocity of light was more than 10 million times faster prior to 3000 b.c. This possibility would also totally alter our concepts of time and the age of the universe. The universe might actually be less than 10,000 years old"

*FFH notes

Francine

Actually the true speed of light is only measureable in a vaccume... something they couldn't get 300 years ago. Not to mention the issues with mechanical clocks back then.

It just strikes me as stupid to give undue weight to speed-of-light measurements taken decades or centuries ago using half-assed equipment and procedures, but give no credence to recent measurements taken by bouncing electromagnetic radiation off of reflectors (microwave or light) and measuring the elapsed time with a digital counter with nanosecond resolution (which can give the speed of light accurate to about one foot per second).

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
cause a guy counting one two three is absolutely relyable in thier estimates of speed. :D
Why has the speed of light stabilized then? Shouldn't it have changed at least a little in the last almost sixty years?