• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Christians polytheists?

GoodbyeDave

So far no-one has considered the Christian doctrine of deification. In the NT is is written that all may "become partakers of the divine nature" (2 Peter 1.19) and that "to them [that accepted him] gave he [Jesus] the power to become sons of God" (John 1.12). St Athanasius the Great wrote "He was made man that we might be made God." This implies that there will eventually be a multitude of Gods, although obviously not all on a level with the Supreme Being. This is one Christian teaching that I can accept!

Also the majority of Christians accept the doctrine of the Assumption of Mary, that she "was assumed body and soul into heavenly glory". This implies that she has already been deified. If Christians do not refer to her as a goddess, it's presumably either from the desire not to appear pagan, or else from muddled thinking.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Unlike Jews and Muslims, Christians worship holy spirit and Jesus pbuh. They also worship saints and virgin Mary pbuh.

So they are clearly Polytheists.

Do u agree?

Not all christians.

The Quran don't call them "polytheists", it makes despise the worshipping of some christians a distinction with the other polytheists.

And by the way, i've seen some jews and muslims who worship saints too.
In some places they even worship together the same "saints".

Useless2015

Good question.
Well, not really.
I mean, you got all them prophets.
Not to mention the holy books.
And then all those commentaries on the holy books....

So I guess for Muslims the answer to "what's there to add to Allah?" would be:
Mohammad
the Koran (all three versions apparently)
the Hadiths.​
That is called religion? Am i talking about God or religion?:rolleyes:

Useless2015

We don't say God, Son and Holy Spirit. We say Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the One God. If you don't comprehend what that means, then don't go around and label people when you have no understanding. I don't call Muslims idolators just because I don't understand why the Black Stone is so important to them, so why would you do the same to us because you don't understand the Trinity?

No human on earth can understand the trinity. Simply because the numbers don't add up, forget all the semantics around jesus or the holy ghost. How can 3 equal 1? In what galaxy does that make sense?!

4consideration

Premium Member
No human on earth can understand the trinity. Simply because the numbers don't add up, forget all the semantics around jesus or the holy ghost. How can 3 equal 1? In what galaxy does that make sense?!
You have to consider them as "separate" first, in order to count them as three.

I think it's more like: I am mother, wife, sister, friend, etc. I am all these -- yet I am one.

It is a concept of more than 1 aspect -- not divided into separate beings.

Useless2015

video is so melodramatic :D

Muhammad does get more praise and honor than all the regular folks, which is what worship is about...all semantics as far as a cut off line.

Worship - worth ship...worthy of? Praise and honor.

First Caliph after the death of Muhammed pbuh:

“Whoever worships Muhammad (pbuh) should know that Muhammad (pbuh) died. Whoever worships Allah should know that Allah is Hayy (immortal).”

And in the Quran:

“Muhammad is no more than a Messenger: many were the Messengers that passed away before Him."

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
That is called religion? Am i talking about God or religion?:rolleyes:
Sounds like you're talking out your backside to me....
All I did was answer the question you asked.
If what you actually wrote is not what you actually meant then I would suggest you clarify yourself.

McBell

No human on earth can understand the trinity.
Except that there are those who do....

Simply because the numbers don't add up, forget all the semantics around jesus or the holy ghost. How can 3 equal 1? In what galaxy does that make sense?!
I am a father, son and grandfather.
Does that add up for you?
If not, then the problem is you, not the fact that I am a father a son and a grandfather.

Useless2015

You have to consider them as "separate" first, in order to count them as three.

I think it's more like: I am mother, wife, sister, friend, etc. I am all these -- yet I am one.

It is a concept of more than 1 aspect -- not divided into separate beings.

You are still the same person on the outside and inside while being a mother, sister etc. Being a spirit,deity and human is something completely different, these are seperate beings. I do count them seperate, it would be absurd not to.

Useless2015

Sounds like you're talking out your backside to me....
All I did was answer the question you asked.
If what you actually wrote is not what you actually meant then I would suggest you clarify yourself.

You should try reading better. This is what i asked.

Whats there to add to 'God' besides that He is One?

How the hell should i clarify myself more?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Unlike Jews and Muslims, Christians worship holy spirit and Jesus pbuh. They also worship saints and virgin Mary pbuh.

So they are clearly Polytheists.

Do u agree?

Nope. I'm a Christian and am monotheistic. The God that I worship is ONE God who has presented as three separate manifestations: Father, Son & Holy Spirit. If I pray to Christ, the Holy Spirit or to my Father, I am crying out to the same God.

Look:

images

How many clovers do you see? ONE. The ONE clover has three distinctive leaves, characteristics or attributes. Still ONE clover.

I don't know any Christian who worships Mary or any of the Saints. Reverence for Saints & intercessory prayer does not worship make. I'm not a Catholic, therefore, I don't personally revere the Saints in the same way that Catholics do nor do I believe that intercessory prayer is necessary. I do not however, take issue with their practice or consider their practices polytheistic in nature.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
For those who struggle to understand the Trinity - look at a single human being.

I'm a woman. I have distinct characteristics that require that I wear different hats and present differently at times. I remain one person.

4consideration

Premium Member
You are still the same person on the outside and inside while being a mother, sister etc. Being a spirit,deity and human is something completely different, these are seperate beings. I do count them seperate, it would be absurd not to.

Well, if you considered God to be omnipresent, there would be no place God is not. There could be no possible separation -- at all, ever. Separation would be an illusion of the human experience. It is that illusion of separation from God that I think Jesus was trying to get across to people.

You do not have to subscribe to the belief that God is everywhere. However, I think it is inseparable from a belief in the Trinity. I think one has to insert a dualist view of things -- where God is somewhere "over there," maybe past the blue stuff, in order for it to be impossible for God to be present in human form, and present in the form of a sort of cosmic/wind, or power, that moves through life.

4consideration

Premium Member
You are still the same person on the outside and inside while being a mother, sister etc.
(I'd like to get more specific about this part.)

It is accurate that I am still the same being while being a mother, sister, etc.

It is also the case that no matter how a person views me, whether accurate or not, and even if they focus only on a single attribute, being unaware of the other aspects of me -- I am still all that I am -- that which is not ever reduced in actuality by someone else's ignorance of me. It is simply that they don't know that side of me.

I think the main point here is perspective. One being can be many things, even if other people only see that being through a narrow, singular, view.

It is good and right sometimes that each of us only experience certain aspects of each other -- and do not experience others. That does not make those other aspects cease to exist.

One's parent sees one as their child.
One's spouse sees one as lover, partner, etc.
One's child sees one as care-giver, nurturer, teacher, provider, etc.
Co-worker see one as co-worker.
Friend, as friend.

McBell

One's parent sees one as their child.
One's spouse sees one as lover, partner, etc.
One's child sees one as care-giver, nurturer, teacher, provider, etc.
Co-worker see one as co-worker.
Friend, as friend.
Not to mention the overlaps...
My wife is also my friend.
Same with co-workers

Kelly of the Phoenix

For those who struggle to understand the Trinity - look at a single human being.

I'm a woman. I have distinct characteristics that require that I wear different hats and present differently at times. I remain one person.
Yes, but I don't claim Nurse Kelly is distinct from Plays Video Games Kelly who is distinct from Family Member Kelly. To have Jesus live an individual life must mean God was trapped in human form and thus not out running the universe. Just because I have several "me's" doesn't make them all real (I hope, LOL).

Aset's Flames

Viperine Asetian
In islamic state(not isis......), a person who insults Jesus Moses, Muhammad or any other prophet of Allah must be either:
Killed or forced into exile. Also imprisonment is excellent option.
Such person is spreading corruption in the land and advocates satanism.

I reject attackers of charlie hebdo.

Well I do not think I am alone in saying that I never want an Islamic State to happen.