• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Christians polytheists?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes, and no. We're not God, though. Has nothing to do with belittling ourselves. It's more about understanding our limits. We can't understand the intricacies of the Trinity, especially not in this life. Maybe in Heaven. Maybe when we're made anew.

I respect that. In my faith, spirits are just as you and me. We do not have limitations of knowing them as I am getting to know a new friend. Yes, I owe my ancestors my reverence (or however these folks want to define it :oops:) and it looks like worship, but thats only because there are different ways of communication. So limitations are not by heirachy (god the creator vs mere motals) but more like trying to figure out how best to know someone. Basis of a relationship.

I keep thinking it would be the same for a creator. But heirarchy isnt in my vocab, so....

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
U dont understand.

A jew came to Jesus pbuh and said:
Rabbi, what is the first commandment.

Jesus answered: u must worship God alone.

Now let say the idolatrous trinity was true, jesus pbuh would say: "U must worship the God of Israel, that is as followed:
God the Father
God Me(Jesus, the one talking to u)
And God the Holy spirit
They are one GOD, so worship Me(Jesus) alongside the Father and Holy Spirit as One God. This doctrine is called Trinity. Give the good tidings of Trinity. For iam God the Son and i brought this news of Trinity to you,O questioner. O the One with Questions, dont call me Rabbi because iam God the Son in Human flesh. Worship US(Trinity) In One."

But jesus didnt say that, he said: O hear Israel God is One God. Not Three is One God!
And just because Jesus didn't expound on the mysteries of Christology and Trinitarian theology, you think the idea of the Trinity is wrong? He didn't reveal Who He was until He was before the Sanhedrin.

Parsimony

You're painting with some awfully broad strokes. Christianity as a whole is complex with many different views. Not even all of them are Trinitarians (Jehovah's Witnesses for example). I don't personally know any Christians that worship Mary or the saints.

gsa

Unlike Jews and Muslims, Christians worship holy spirit and Jesus pbuh. They also worship saints and virgin Mary pbuh.

So they are clearly Polytheists.

Do u agree?

Muslims clearly deified their alleged prophet. They clearly worship Muhammad, flip out when you draw cartoons of him (while not flipping out about cartoons of other prophets like Isa), etc. So they are clearly polytheists. Do u agree?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I show u video where catholics worship Mary and call on to her

As a Catholic, let me assure you that we in no way worship Mary. Anyone who says otherwise, even a Saint, is in error according to Catholic teaching.

Below is the official Catholic teaching regarding Mary, straight from the Catechism of the Catholic Church. http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P2C.HTM

968 Her role in relation to the Church and to all humanity goes still further. "In a wholly singular way she cooperated by her obedience, faith, hope, and burning charity in the Savior's work of restoring supernatural life to souls. For this reason she is a mother to us in the order of grace."509

969 "This motherhood of Mary in the order of grace continues uninterruptedly from the consent which she loyally gave at the Annunciation and which she sustained without wavering beneath the cross, until the eternal fulfilment of all the elect. Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation .... Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked in the Church under the titles of Advocate, Helper, Benefactress, and Mediatrix."510

970 "Mary's function as mother of men in no way obscures or diminishes this unique mediation of Christ, but rather shows its power. But the Blessed Virgin's salutary influence on men . . . flows forth from the superabundance of the merits of Christ, rests on his mediation, depends entirely on it, and draws all its power from it."511 "No creature could ever be counted along with the Incarnate Word and Redeemer; but just as the priesthood of Christ is shared in various ways both by his ministers and the faithful, and as the one goodness of God is radiated in different ways among his creatures, so also the unique mediation of the Redeemer does not exclude but rather gives rise to a manifold cooperation which is but a sharing in this one source."512

II. DEVOTION TO THE BLESSED VIRGIN

971 "All generations will call me blessed": "The Church's devotion to the Blessed Virgin is intrinsic to Christian worship."513 The Church rightly honors "the Blessed Virgin with special devotion. From the most ancient times the Blessed Virgin has been honored with the title of 'Mother of God,' to whose protection the faithful fly in all their dangers and needs.... This very special devotion ... differs essentially from the adoration which is given to the incarnate Word and equally to the Father and the Holy Spirit, and greatly fosters this adoration."514 The liturgical feasts dedicated to the Mother of God and Marian prayer, such as the rosary, an "epitome of the whole Gospel," express this devotion to the Virgin Mary.515

In other words, Mary is not worshipped, but honored. In the same way that we Christians pray for one another, Mary prays for us. The honor we give to Mary is the same honor that Muslims give Muhammad.[/QUOTE]

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Whats there to add to 'God' besides that He is One?
Good question.
Well, not really.
I mean, you got all them prophets.
Not to mention the holy books.
And then all those commentaries on the holy books....

So I guess for Muslims the answer to "what's there to add to Allah?" would be:
Mohammad
the Koran (all three versions apparently)
the Hadiths.​

Aset's Flames

Viperine Asetian
Unlike Jews and Muslims, Christians worship holy spirit and Jesus pbuh. They also worship saints and virgin Mary pbuh.

So they are clearly Polytheists.

Do u agree?

It depends on the Christian and the tradition.

If anything they have been more monotheist since the rennasiance era due to the influence of Greek philosophy.

Servant_of_the_One1

Muslims clearly deified their alleged prophet. They clearly worship Muhammad, flip out when you draw cartoons of him (while not flipping out about cartoons of other prophets like Isa), etc. So they are clearly polytheists. Do u agree?

U know that u are now spreading lies

No muslim worships Muhammad pbuh except that he is mushrik/polytheist

Servant_of_the_One1

He is saying that if you only kill people who draw cartoons of Muhammad but now when people who draw cartoons of other prophets, then you are deifying Muhammad.

In islamic state(not isis......), a person who insults Jesus Moses, Muhammad or any other prophet of Allah must be either:
Killed or forced into exile. Also imprisonment is excellent option.
Such person is spreading corruption in the land and advocates satanism.

I reject attackers of charlie hebdo.

Tumah

Veteran Member
In islamic state(not isis......), a person who insults Jesus Moses, Muhammad or any other prophet of Allah must be either:
Killed or forced into exile. Also imprisonment is excellent option.
Such person is spreading corruption in the land and advocates satanism.

I reject attackers of charlie hebdo.
Don't tell me that, I'm not arguing about it either way. Tell that to him.