• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Christians polytheists?

Servant_of_the_One1

Not entirely. Some Christian sects are trinitarian. Some reject the doctrine of the trinity having same opinion as you that those are polytheistic. How Mary is viewed is also in respect to the particular denomination. I know what you are trying to say but it is over generalized.

I respect the unitarian christians.
Really worshipping God alone was the message of Jesus pbuh.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I dont know guys, but Christians left monotheism the second they said God , Son and Holy Spirit.

Muslims and Jews say ONLY ONE GOD

A true Monotheist says Only God, not holy spirit and jesus pbuh.
We don't say God, Son and Holy Spirit. We say Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the One God. If you don't comprehend what that means, then don't go around and label people when you have no understanding. I don't call Muslims idolators just because I don't understand why the Black Stone is so important to them, so why would you do the same to us because you don't understand the Trinity?

Servant_of_the_One1

I think the question is: How much does it matter? Is it enough of a fulfillment of the commandment to believe in G-d that they believe in G-d, even though they also believe in what we call "****uf - partnership" with the son and holy ghost? Are they required to have the correct view about the nature of G-d Himself, or is it enough that they believe in a Creator of everything even if the details about the Creator are off?
Its not enough to just stick on a label. The parameters of the theology and their requirements, need to be examined in order to determine how to relate to them.

Sorry but did i read **** uf as f**** off :)

Servant_of_the_One1

Yes, but contrary to whatever Muslims think, we don't worship Jesus and the Holy Spirit alongside God. We say that Jesus and the Holy Spirit ARE God. We worship the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit, One God, as the Roman Catholics and Antiochian Orthodox say during every prayer.

Not so. We give them respect the same way that Muslims honor Muhammad, but they are by no means worshipped.

No, we are just monotheists with a more complex view of God.

It sure doesn't seem like that to any non-Muslim. Do you see how the Muslim attitude towards the Kaabah is the same as the Christian attitude towards our icons and our statues?

No one can forgive sins except God alone. This is and has always been Christian teaching. The only reason that the Saints can hear us after death is because they have received the grace from God to be able to do so, for all are alive in God (Luke 20:38)

I don't know if Muslims ever do this, but we Christians pray for one another regularly. As Saint Frankenstein said, we believe that Jesus shattered the boundaries between life and death. The Church on Earth is connected to the Church in Heaven, and so the Saints are able to pray for us, just as they did when they were alive.

This is because Jesus Himself is God.

If you were right about Christianity, then you would have a point. As it is, you only know a caricature of what we Christian actually teach and practice.

Sir, if someone gave honour to muhammad pbuh by worshipping his statue and bowing down the head for the statue, then that person commits Idolatry and leaves islam.

I show u video where catholics worship Mary and call on to her

In Islam we believe Muhammad pbuh was only a servant.
Muhammad pbuh said: call me only servant of Allah.

He said: dont praise me like the christians praised jesus pbuh.
He pbuh said: call only upon Allah for help

Servant_of_the_One1

We don't say God, Son and Holy Spirit. We say Father, Son and Holy Spirit, the One God. If you don't comprehend what that means, then don't go around and label people when you have no understanding. I don't call Muslims idolators just because I don't understand why the Black Stone is so important to them, so why would you do the same to us because you don't understand the Trinity?

U dont understand.

A jew came to Jesus pbuh and said:
Rabbi, what is the first commandment.

Jesus answered: u must worship God alone.

Now let say the idolatrous trinity was true, jesus pbuh would say: "U must worship the God of Israel, that is as followed:
God the Father
God Me(Jesus, the one talking to u)
And God the Holy spirit
They are one GOD, so worship Me(Jesus) alongside the Father and Holy Spirit as One God. This doctrine is called Trinity. Give the good tidings of Trinity. For iam God the Son and i brought this news of Trinity to you,O questioner. O the One with Questions, dont call me Rabbi because iam God the Son in Human flesh. Worship US(Trinity) In One."

But jesus didnt say that, he said: O hear Israel God is One God. Not Three is One God!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Therefore, Jesus is God, not a mere man. God is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit--the Trinity, one in essence and undivided.

I have a question for you. It could be just a language problem.

If Jesus is the Creator, why refer to him separately?

God (Jesus) the Father. Jesus, The Son. Jesus, The Holy Spirit.

God the Father would not exist because the Father didnt send his son to die on the cross, he sent himself.

Who is Jesus the son to if he is the creator?

David1967

Premium Member
I respect the unitarian christians.
Really worshipping God alone was the message of Jesus pbuh.

I understand the fact that you disagree with the doctrine of the trinity and I respect your view. But why does it bother you that some do believe this way? I would agree with you 100% if they were going into your Mosque and trying to push this view, that would be disrespectful, but they are practicing this doctrine in their own churches. I have no problem with any doctrine that is taught in their own church. If I don't agree with it I would just go somewhere else that I was in agreement.

Servant_of_the_One1

I understand the fact that you disagree with the doctrine of the trinity and I respect your view. But why does it bother you that some do believe this way? I would agree with you 100% if they were going into your Mosque and trying to push this view, that would be disrespectful, but they are practicing this doctrine in their own churches. I have no problem with any doctrine that is taught in their own church. If I don't agree with it I would just go somewhere else that I was in agreement.

True, my friend.

I respect christians and their different belief systems.

But does it bother christians if jews and muslims consider them as polytheists?

I dont feel bothered when christians view me as infidel. Well iam disbeliever in trinity, ofcourse i admit that. So iam indeed infidel in pauline doctrine.

Different in beliefs doesnt mean i hate christians. I respect them and their beliefs.

Btw i dont mean unitarians

David1967

Premium Member
True, my friend.

I respect christians and their different belief systems.

But does it bother christians if jews and muslims consider them as polytheists?

I dont feel bothered when christians view me as infidel. Well iam disbeliever in trinity, ofcourse i admit that. So iam indeed infidel in pauline doctrine.

Btw i dont mean unitarians
I understand the differences in our understanding of certain things, and I know that I have much to learn. (that realization has come with age). So I do appreciate the exchange of thoughts. And BTW, I do not consider you an infidel. I would never use such a word for someone sincerely seeking God, which I believe you are. Salam brother;)

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I have a question for you. It could be just a language problem.

If Jesus is the Creator, why refer to him separately?

God (Jesus) the Father. Jesus, The Son. Jesus, The Holy Spirit.

God the Father would not exist because the Father didnt send his son to die on the cross, he sent himself.

Who is Jesus the son to if he is the creator?
The Trinity is three Persons - the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Jesus is the Son only. He's not all three of Them.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Sir, if someone gave honour to muhammad pbuh by worshipping his statue and bowing down the head for the statue, then that person commits Idolatry and leaves islam.

Ima try to relate it as best as i understand muslim belief.

Muslims believe in one Creator, Allah
Christians believe in one Creator, Jehovah (God)

Muslims believe the one God, Allah has one nature
Christians believe the one God, Jehovah has three natures

Both believe in one god. They differ in his nature.

Muslims believe Allah's nature is Only the Creator
Christians believe Jehovah (remember, only one Jehovah), has three natures...the most important is Christ.

Muslims pray five times a day to the Creator, Allah
Christians (Catholics) have Mass three times a day to pray to the Creator, Jehovah

Both pray to One Creator with one (of many) critical differences. God's "nature."

:fallenleaf: His nature is not three gods. Thats like spliting me up to three people because I am a daughter, a sister, and a neice.

:leafwind:

As for the video.

In christianity, all denomni, catholic included, the "worship" is given to the Creator alone. Whatever you see in that video is not worship. It looks like it because Mary is the "Mother" of God/Christ.

She is not just a vessel. If I told my mother, she is just a vessel, bypass her and talk to god, god would be like "behold your mother" and "honor your mother and father". He be very displeased the way people talk about Christ's Mother. Thats just messed up.

I do buy my mother gifts sometimes. If I were from another country, Id probably bow to her or my grandmother. If probably send her flowers. If she passed before me, Id probably share her favorite food among our family.

This is NOT worship. This is communion.

Anway, like others say, its one thing to not understand the faith its another to belittle it. If you want to understand it, "ask." Dont assume what christians believe.

I know because I took the sacraments and had practiced and studied well. Worship as well as reverence.

But thats me.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That would mean the comment (cant figure who) that Christ is the Creator is false?

I understand what you say, odviously. Just that comment of Christ being the Creator threw me off.
He is the Creator. It's just that the Son plays a different role in the Creation than the Father.

Don't worry. No one truly understands the Trinity. Lol.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Lol, as if puny mortals like ourselves could really comprehend the Infinite One. ;)

Of course we can. If we dont belittle ourselves to think we dont messure up to our said god. The more we live In God (using god in general), the more know ourselves. If we are a reflection of a creator, the more you understand yourself, the more you understand god.

That is, if we give ourselves the benefit of the doubt.o_O

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Of course we can. If we dont belittle ourselves to think we dont messure up to our said god. The more we live In God (using god in general), the more know ourselves. If we are a reflection of a creator, the more you understand yourself, the more you understand god.

That is, if we give ourselves the benefit of the doubt.o_O
Yes, and no. We're not God, though. Has nothing to do with belittling ourselves. It's more about understanding our limits. We can't understand the intricacies of the Trinity, especially not in this life. Maybe in Heaven. Maybe when we're made anew.

Sees

Dragonslayer

video is so melodramatic :D

Muhammad does get more praise and honor than all the regular folks, which is what worship is about...all semantics as far as a cut off line.

Worship - worth ship...worthy of? Praise and honor.

Reactions: gsa