• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

are Christians correct?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Children can and do get on their parent's nerves and it is normal for a parent to get angry or disgusted and not to want to be around them. Usually for me when I get that way it "Go to your room and I don't want to hear a peep until I call you". It is normal.
Of course they do, but your phrasing was disgusting. I work with children and I know how it can be, but I would never dream of saying something like that.

Dave Watchman

is resurrection correct? is our ego so important that it will be resurrected and live forever?

Yes resurrection is correct. Just like Jesus did. The first born of many brethren. The Shroud of Turin was just the first. I just found new information from the Apocalypse of Thomas. I wonder if it's the doubting Thomas? I wonder if this exracanonical stuff is correct?

"Hear thou, O Thomas, for I am the Son of God the Father and I am the father of all spirits.​

So it reads like the "spirit" that is in us, is not who or what we are yet. It's like a loaner spirit, a spirit from God that is on loan to us. We imprint out life experience, our egos, all that we think of or do or come into contact with. It's like a blue-ray disc that can't be lost which contains everything that we are. It 's just that some of them are going to be saved, and others will be discarded. Remember when Jesus was on the cross He said: "Father I commend my Spirit to you.

"Then shall the spirits and souls of all men come forth from paradise and shall come upon all the earth: and every one of them shall go unto his own body, where it is laid up, and every one of them shall say: Here lieth my body. And when the great voice of those spirits shall be heard, then shall there be a great earthquake over all the world, and by the might thereof the mountains shall be cloven from above and the rocks from beneath. Then shall every spirit return into his own vessel and the bodies of the saints which have fallen asleep shall arise.

"Then shall their bodies be changed into the image and likeness and the honour of the holy angels, and into the power of the image of mine holy Father. Then shall they be clothed with the vesture of life eternal, out of the cloud of light which hath never been seen in this world; for that cloud cometh down out of the highest realm of the heaven from the power of my Father. And that cloud shall compass about with the beauty thereof all the spirits that have believed in me.

"Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said,
“Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!”
And having said this he breathed his last.​

But let God be true,
And i am a liar.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Yes resurrection is correct. Just like Jesus did..........
"Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said,
“Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!”
And having said this he breathed his last.​
But let God be true,
And i am a liar.

I find at John 19:30 that Jesus' last words were, " It is finished " before he breathed his last.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
To me when God resurrected Jesus, then God resurrected Jesus back into his pre-human heavenly spirit body.
That is why after Jesus was resurrected he used different materialized bodies to appear to his followers.
Some people like those of Luke 22:28-30 will be resurrected in a spirit body, but most people, the majority of people, will be resurrected in a healthy physical body. In other words, they will be the same person but in a perfectly healthy physical body.
Yes... this is what the Hebrew patriarchs (like Abraham and Isaac), prophets (like Moses and Elijah), and faithful ones (like King David, Jephthah, Joshua, etc., etc.) hope for....being resurrected, ie., brought back to life, here on the Earth! On a perfected Earth! -Isaiah 45:18; Isaiah 11:6-9.

That’s still God’s purpose! Revelation 21:3-4.

InChrist

Free4ever
is resurrection correct? is our ego so important that it will be resurrected and live forever?
It's not about one's ego living forever. It is about those whose lives have been transformed into Christ likeness living forever.

dianaiad

They won't get old but they'll be bored to tears.

What makes you think so?

Personally....and I am rather insulted at this thread's assumption (so far, at least) that it is only selfishness (or 'ego') that wants to live forever.

I don't want to LIVE forever. I want to LEARN forever. I am not so imbued with a sense of mankind's modern sense of superiority as to think that we all know everything and that living longer than a mortal lifetime will result in boredom. I look at the universe...and I'm having a little difficulty imagining that there will ever come a time when I will know everything there is to know, and will have done everything there is to do.

Or understand all that there is.

My own time on this planet isn't going to be all that long. For crying out loud, even if I did NOT have cancer, I'm almost seventy...and trust me, I ain't bored and if I were going to be given more time, I would still not be bored.

Depressed, angry, joyful, nervous, frustrated, annoyed and annoying...but never, EVER, bored.

It's not 'ego' that has me wanting resurrection and eternal life. It's curiosity.

Earthling

David Henson
My take was that he had the same body. The whole doubting Thomas thing. Put your fingers in my wounds. The body wasn't life. The body wasn't to be feared. Man, that's some bread and wine.

The body wasn't life? Wasn't to be feared? How come it wasn't immediately recognized by his followers and how do you explain the fact that his flesh and blood, bread and wine, as your signature points out, was sacrificed and then . . . reused?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Children can and do get on their parent's nerves and it is normal for a parent to get angry or disgusted and not to want to be around them. Usually for me when I get that way it "Go to your room and I don't want to hear a peep until I call you". It is normal.
Well, mine have grown up... I love it! Can’t wait to meet their kids!

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
What makes you think so?

Personally....and I am rather insulted at this thread's assumption (so far, at least) that it is only selfishness (or 'ego') that wants to live forever.

I don't want to LIVE forever. I want to LEARN forever. I am not so imbued with a sense of mankind's modern sense of superiority as to think that we all know everything and that living longer than a mortal lifetime will result in boredom. I look at the universe...and I'm having a little difficulty imagining that there will ever come a time when I will know everything there is to know, and will have done everything there is to do.

Or understand all that there is.

My own time on this planet isn't going to be all that long. For crying out loud, even if I did NOT have cancer, I'm almost seventy...and trust me, I ain't bored and if I were going to be given more time, I would still not be bored.

Depressed, angry, joyful, nervous, frustrated, annoyed and annoying...but never, EVER, bored.

It's not 'ego' that has me wanting resurrection and eternal life. It's curiosity.
What a nice post!

WalterTrull

Godfella
The body wasn't life? Wasn't to be feared? How come it wasn't immediately recognized by his followers and how do you explain the fact that his flesh and blood, bread and wine, as your signature points out, was sacrificed and then . . . reused?
I'm really sorry, I'm not trying to be obtuse, but I genuinely don't understand what you're saying.

Etritonakin

Whether by evolution and then self-evolution -or resurrection -we consider it because it is our future. It is a logical step toward fitness to survive -and it makes this present life and suffering worthwhile.

If we accomplish it, it does not help previous generations -but if it has already been planned for us, all have an opportunity.
If we accomplish it, we still must live with our imperfect nature and the results. If it -as well as our perfection -have been planned, all will be well.

We live long enough to get somewhat good at living -then we die.
We see how wonderful things could be if things were done differently -and we see generation after generation making the same and increasingly harmful mistakes.

We are newbs. We could not be expected to get it right the first time. We need to be perfected -and we need a do-over.

Eternal life is not theoretically impossible for man to accomplish (though we are not likely to survive long enough on our own -and not likely to make anything but a mess of it) -but one already in a position to grant it would be much better.

Life can be wonderful -we just don't do it right yet.

Tomas Kindahl

... out on my Odyssé — again!

I cannot say, but the original Christian standing point is that every dead person will be resurrected bodily after the 2nd return of Christ. There's no observation to support that theory, the only observations we have are NDE:s (Near Death Experiences) who purport that we live on after our individual deaths, and if we have bodies, then we cannot say whether they are material or not. I believe that most Christians today adher to the theory that the resurrection conforms to the NDE observations, but I've heard of Christian priests calling them "demonic visions" and such, because the NDE:s don't conform to their dogmatics. I believe the Christian doctrine is essentially wrong, but the actual Christians seldom adher to their own doctrine in this matter. I'm a Gnostic, I believe in the NDE:s, not the Christian doctrines.