• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are arguments a type of evidence?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Yes or no, and why? To elaborate, many people today believe that only physical, empirical evidence should count for anything. They do not accept logically plausible arguments as a form of evidence. Do you agree or disagree with this?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Hasn't logic and reasoning always been a form of evidence? It's like the bread and butter for philosophy.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes or no, and why? To elaborate, many people today believe that only physical, empirical evidence should count for anything. They do not accept logically plausible arguments as a form of evidence. Do you agree or disagree with this?
It seems like you're confusing different (but related) concepts:

- Evidence establishes premises.
- Arguments derive conclusions from premises.

An argument only establishes its conclusion given that its premises are true. If you haven't demonstrated your premises, then the argument can be dismissed.

Except for trivial cases and mathematical constructions, establishing that premises are true generally comes down to empirical evidence.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I can see that. It has something to do with trust if talking morally. Many people believe actions are better than words. I believe words are better than actions. If someone told me two and two is four, if I trusted that person I would believe him without needing to prove it myself. So, if there was a good and logical argument based on facts or experiences and how that person presents these arguments are worth taking into consideration, I would.

If someone told me not to jump off the edge of the mountain because it's dangerous and haven't experienced danger before nor put myself in that case, I would still take his or her word for it given appropriate explanation. I don't need to test things or have physical evidence to conclude what is true and what is not. I just think there is a lot of trust factor involved, what you already know of reality, your experiences, and your bias that interprets what is fact and what is fiction. Also, what we consider we need evidence for and what we brush off true regardless.

If someone told me god existed and here is the bible to show me how, I'd look at them funny because those experiences of Paul, John, and Jacob are not the person I am speaking to. Since god isn't defined by physical evidence, I'd ask that person I am speaking to his/her experience and how, in his own words, sees god. That would be evidence to me what he feels is true. I have no right to say he is wrong. Why do I need to have physical proof for a spirit-ual experience. We don't trust a lot of people in this area. So, those we do I hope they don't take that trust for granted.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Are arguments a type of evidence?

I see evidence and argumentation as two different things. When we are forming a belief about things we should consider the evidence and argumentation from all sides. Evidence AND arguments are of central importance.

Both. A good argument will invoke the evidence at hand as clearly as possible.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
- Evidence establishes premises.
This is true, but it's not the whole truth. A premise is a foundation on which the whole of the argument is built. While evidence can make the foundation firm, there are esoteric premises which not only lack traditional evidence, but are remarkably immune to evidence or lack of evidence. Faith is such a premise and while it can be evidenced or blind, it often exists in spite of a lack of evidence and often in conflict with evidence.

This is true, but it's not the whole truth. A premise is a foundation on which the whole of the argument is built. While evidence can make the foundation firm, there are esoteric premises which not only lack traditional evidence, but are remarkably immune to evidence or lack of evidence. Faith is such a premise and while it can be evidenced or blind, it often exists in spite of a lack of evidence and often in conflict with evidence.
Which is why faith based premises are worthless in any practical sense.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Are you trying to make a case for why we should accept certain premises as true without reason to believe they're true?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Given that the best arguments are based on verifiable evidence, I'd have to say that an argument is not evidence in and of itself, though an argument may be compelling enough to warrant investigation to find evidence to support it.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Given that the best arguments are based on verifiable evidence...

Is this a given? What's the evidence for this argument? If arguments are not evidence, is there any evidence for this sort of normative/value statement?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Arguments are of course evidence for the existence of certain ideas.

When the subject matter itself are ideas or some closely connected entities, I suppose they are in itself evidence.

For more concrete claims, not so much.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Absolutely not. While arguments and debates may contain evidence, they are not evidence in and of themselves. Claims are just claims and must be supported by evidence to be intellectually valid. Far too many debates are intellectually vapid, relying on wishful thinking and blind faith, and neither of those hold any evidence for anything.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Thinking about this more, I have real problems with "plausible".

Mutually exclusive answers to a question might all be plausible, even if at most one might be true.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Which is why faith based premises are worthless in any practical sense.
You obviously don't understand faith.

It's the difference between the physical, the meta-physical, the natural and the super-natural. You simply can't quantify everything empirically. Go ahead and quantify love. What? Do you contend that love is 'worthless'? I want to see your empirical values for love.

Watchmen

Premium Member
An "argument" is not evidence. An argument is a statement about what the evidence purportedly demonstrates.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
You can win arguments without being correct. Arguments are also a way to swindle people, to corral a group into a group effort, or to establish dominance (whether you are correct or not). Often leadership goes not to the best argument but to the best arguer.

The best reason to force someone to argue is to make sure they have thought through their opinion and are truly informed, not just making things up or repeating what they have heard. Unfortunately this doesn't do any good if you yourself are extremely uninformed.

The worst reason to argue is arguing to defend yourself from learning new information or from thinking about something in a different way.