• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Americans Living in the Past?

Shad

Veteran Member
Seriously???

Yup. Keep in mind I said this wasn't unique, great as claimed nor the best way. Besides if it didn't there wouldn't be millions of legal and illegal immigrants.

Toss in that opportunities does not mean mulligans for poor choices nor that people are smart enough to see one when it is presented.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
1000- 2000 usd to get it made to order and installed. that's the avg cost

I got a 12 ft x 8.5 ft x 8 ft tall custom painting rack/cupboard on one side and dresser on other side made of teak wood, and installed in my studio for a mere 600$ that would cost me at least 3000 in America, there are huge opportunities to be had out here if you are in the furniture bizz.
Where are you?

Kangaroo Feathers

This is true. All the hard work and a monkey wrench hits your weel, the worst feeling ever. Makes ya wanna give up and die. But, ya gotta summon the strength and keep going.
The first monkey wrench is one thing. Up around the 7th or eighth, you start to feel like maybe the system is rigged in favour of the monkey wrench throwers

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I just love hearing those that whine about America not being the land of opportunity. It leaves that many more opportunities to those that refuse to listen to them.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yup. Keep in mind I said this wasn't unique, great as claimed nor the best way. Besides if it didn't there wouldn't be millions of legal and illegal immigrants.
Do you mean the impoverished Mexicans who poured in after NAFTA bankrupted them, or the Central Americans now coming in after we invaded, ruined their countries, fomented military dictatorships, violently suppressed democratic reforms, flooded the countries with LA gang members and left them largely uninhabitable? :rolleyes:

I just love hearing those that whine about America not being the land of opportunity. It leaves that many more opportunities to those that refuse to listen to them.
Not up on your history, Eh?
Did you miss the links in post #13?

74x12

Are Americans living in the past when they think of America as a land of economic opportunity? Is the notion that America -- better than most or all other nations -- allows people who work hard to get ahead and realize their financial dreams true? Why or why not?
It's not as true as it used to be.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think that America (North America) is still the land of opportunity, but that does not mean that one does not have to make smart decisions along the way. It is more important than ever to get a good education and develop a network of professionals throughout your career. It is this network of people that will ultimately provide opportunities that you would have been unaware of otherwise. So, make connections, but also, maintain those connections.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that America (North America) is still the land of opportunity, but that does not mean that one does not have to make smart decisions along the way. It is more important than ever to get a good education and develop a network of professionals throughout your career. It is this network of people that will ultimately provide opportunities that you would have been unaware of otherwise. So, make connections, but also, maintain those connections.
Yes, education's more important than ever before, I only wish we still had free universities.
Imagine having to take out a loan to attend school.
Pretty poor economic planning on the part of the government. After WWII The GI Bill returned 700% on investment in income taxes alone.
Education isn't an expense, but a n investment.

Kangaroo Feathers

... and be lucky, never get sick, have a well connected family, and if possible, have a father to give you $413 million dollars as a tax dodge. Then you can be a totally self made man, and even become President!

Trump's father gave his son at least $413 million: New York Times

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Yes, education's more important than ever before, I only wish we still had free universities.
Imagine having to take out a loan to attend school.
Pretty poor economic planning on the part of the government. After WWII The GI Bill returned 700% on investment in income taxes alone.
Education isn't an expense, but an investment.
Maybe if people realized this nugget at the end they might have less reason to whine and snivel about the cost of that 5 year Gender Studies degree... that is virtually worthless in the job market.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
No, what you're detecting is your cognitive dissonance from having uncomfortable facts pointed out, admittedly in a sarcastic way.
Good. I'd say one of the most important things for young people these days, and at any time, really, is to maintain realistic goals and to check one's attitude continually. A less that positive outlook WILL come back and bite you.

I used to believe in "the system". Then I became deeply cynical.

Same here....at first i thought the system has progressed, so it must be good. But then i had unjust experiences happen from Banks, government and employers.

The funny thing is though, my gut told me the whole time the system was bad. But, i thought it was like those people who say "a tornado will never hit where i am", lol and it happens.

And i dont have a entitlement mentality, but i know injustice when i experience it.

Last edited: