• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aqualung vs Buttercup

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
FFH said:
Spirit Prison is a place that is reserved for those that do not accept Jesus Christ as their Savior.

Spirit Paradise is for those that have accepted Christ as their Savior.

Baptism is a necessary ordinance that must be recieved in order to permanently live where Christ and the Father dwell.
Not all Christians interpret this "Spiritual Prison" the same way.

And there's so little scripture to either prove or disprove...

Besides, it all boils down to personal intepretation...

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
FFH said:
Baptism will be offered to those in Spirit Paradise, so that they will be able to live permanently with the Father and the Son in their kingdoms.

Again this is why Latter-day Saints continually do baptisms for the dead in over 100 temples that dot the earth.
And the LDS are certainly free to do this if they feel it is correct practice.:)

I don't interpret those verses pertaining to the Corinthians the same way.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
And good gracious...it's amazing what staying up past your bedtime will do to your brain...please pardon my many, many typos and grammatical errors.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
*MOD POST*
THIS IS THE ONE VS. ONE DEBATE SECTION. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM POSTING IF THE THREAD WAS NOT INTENDED FOR YOU. IF YOU WISH TO OPEN THIS UP TO OTHERS THEN YOU NEED TO ASK THE THREAD STARTERS AND I WILL GLADLY MOVE IT.

FFH

Veteran Member
Buttercup said:
Do LDS teachings teach that someone in spirit prison can be saved after death?
Yes I believe that anyone can be saved from Spirit Prison if they accept Jesus Christ as their Savior. Baptism and other sacred ordinances would then be offered in Spirit Paradise.

Jesus Christ wlll do all in his power to save as many as will believe in him.

Jesus Christ was three days and three nights preaching in Spirit Prison, while his body lay in the tomb, he preached to them in the spirit.

Matthew 12: 40

"For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly, so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Spirit Prison is in the heart of the earth, and is in another spiritual dimension.

Peter 3: 18-21

18- For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

19- By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison.

20- Which sometimes were disobedient, when once the longsufferings of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21- The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

22- Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

Baptism is symbolic of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The person being baptized is layed back into the water (symbolizing the death of Jesus Christ, which took away our sins and washed us clean) and then we are brought out of the water (symbolizing the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and our rebirth into a life free from the affects of past sin). We truly are reborn, and covenant at this time to follow Christ and keep his commandments which he has given us.

FFH

Veteran Member
John introduced baptism by water and Jesus Christ showed the importance of Baptism of the Holy Ghost. We must be baptized by both water and by fire. Baptism is symbolic, and reminds us of Christ's death and resurrection, and is necessary to complete the remission of sins. Christ's atonement, along with the ordinance of baptism washes us clean of all our sins. Both are necessary for salvation.

Men will be recieved into Paradise, if they believe in Jesus Christ, but are not baptized, as the thief on the cross represents. The thief on the cross recieved Jesus Christ as his Savior, and will be given the chance to recieve baptism, vicariously, through men on earth. Vicarious work for the dead is what mainly goes on in LDS temples.

wmam

Victor said:
*MOD POST*

THIS IS THE ONE VS. ONE DEBATE SECTION. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM POSTING IF THE THREAD WAS NOT INTENDED FOR YOU. IF YOU WISH TO OPEN THIS UP TO OTHERS THEN YOU NEED TO ASK THE THREAD STARTERS AND I WILL GLADLY MOVE IT.

Ummmmmmmmmmm.................

Aqualung said:
Since all parties either agree or have stopped responding to this thread, I am going to increase it to two-on-two. Me and Squirt vs Buttercup and Dawny.
As well as..........

Buttercup said:
Ha! Ok, this should be fun.....but, I'm telling you right now....it's gonna boil down to interpretation and we will end up in a draw again! Mark my words!

We have to go to Home Depot before they close.....good Lucky Dawny ! whoooot Whoot!
Are both of the starters of said thread and I am sure since they both have agreed to take this to the next step that they would not have a problem with you doing as you see fit. ;)

Squirt

wmam said:
Ummmmmmmmmmm.................

As well as..........

Are both of the starters of said thread and I am sure since they both have agreed to take this to the next step that they would not have a problem with you doing as you see fit. ;)
Aqualung and Buttercup agreed to open this this up to include me (Squirt) and Dawny. I kind of thought we should have started a new thread to avoid confusion, but it didn't exactly happen that way. Victor, what do you suggest we do now?

Squirt

Buttercup said:
Squirt....did you read any of my posts?
Yes I did. I read most of what both you and Aqualung said, not at critically as either of you did, but enough to understand your position.

Dawny and I say almost exactly the same things. It's the belief in Christ and repentance of your sins that saves you. Can we all agree on that yet?
Well, I hate to say it, but I'm afraid not. Interestingly, you have mentioned the two things that we LDS would call the first two principles of the gospel -- faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and reptentence for one's sins. These two principles are absolutely essential for salvation. Unfortunately, that's as far as you took it.

Jesus said that we much be born of water and of the spirit. Both of you have said that water baptism is not required. Dawny has said that as soon as you believe in Christ you are baptized by the Holy Ghost. This would make Jesus instruction to His Apostles to baptize His followers throughout the world meaningless. Neither of you have provided any scriptural evidence which support these beliefs.

You both appear to believe that water baptism is merely a step we can take if we wish, and that its purpose is primarily as an outward show of a change in our hearts. My guess is that the real reason you don't believe that baptism is a required ordinance is that this would leave too many people in the position of not having been saved due to circumstances beyond their control. What kind of a God would deny salvation to millions of sincere believers simply because they had not received water baptism? The question is a good one. The answer, however, does not lie in simply ignoring what Jesus said was a requirement for salvation. It lies instead in recognizing that God has provided a way for all believers to receive baptism. Personally, I can't help but wonder what kind of a God would give mankind a commandment that didn't really matter to him in the first place.

Squirt

Buttercup said:
Squirt,

This site is really slow at night for some reason for me...it's frustrating. It's taken me 15 mintues just to post the little bit that I have. After this I am getting offline.

This whole debate started from another thread where Aqua said those people that accepted Christ and repented but weren't baptized while on earth go to 'spirit prison'. Most Prostestant Christians believe if you have accepted Christ and repented of your sins you are saved and then receive the Holy Spirit. IF you die before being baptized, you still go to be with Christ. This was the original point started in another place and brought here.

I want to know where the LDS come up with the idea that if you accept Christ as Lord and Saviour, repent of your sins but die before baptism takes place, you go to spirit prison. That's where we took off on the notion that the water does not save you. Your beliefs do. Baptism is a good thing and advisable as we keep saying. But no where does it teach in scripture that you go to 'spirit prison' if you die without baptism. Show us where it says this please.
Thanks for taking the time to get us back on the right track. In reading your first post on this thread, I thought the topic had sort of strayed. I'm going to go back to the subject of the Spirit Prison. But before I do, it would be helpful to me if you could tell me where you believe Jesus went during the three days His body lay in the tomb.

1 Peter 3:18-19 speaks of this event: For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison...

1 Peter 4:6 mentions it as well: For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

I'll be happy to respond to your questions once I know how you interpret these verses.
Where do you believe Jesus went? What did He go while He was there? And what was the result of His visit?

Squirt

dawny0826 said:
We believe VERY MUCH in the rebirth. And the "rebirth" or newbirth is discussed in John...Chapter 3:1-21.

I'm going to kind of break down my beliefs of how one becomes a Christian...and undergoes the rebirth.

(Anthing I take from this book word for word...("The New Birth" by Kenneth E. Hagin)...I'll post as a quote.)

"Therefore, if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away, behold, all things are become new."

2 Corinthians 5:17

According to the Bible, when we accept Christ into our lives, in essence...we're dying to live. We're laying our lives down to accept a new life in Christ, Jesus.
I agree with everything you have said up to this point, Dawny. The Book of Mormon teaches essentially the same thing. I don't normally quote from the Book of Mormon in debates, since there is little point to my doing so. I'll make an exception today, simply to help you understand that the concept of a spiritual rebirth is truly is important to us, too:

Mosiah 5:7 And now, because of the covenant which ye have made ye shall be called the children of Christ, his sons, and his daughters; for behold, this day he hath spiritually begotten you; for ye say that your hearts are changed through faith on his name; therefore, ye are born of him and have become his sons and his daughters.

Mosiah 27:25 And the Lord said unto me: Marvel not that all mankind, yea, men and women, all nations, kindreds, tongues and people, must be born again; yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters...

Alma 5:12-14 And according to his faith there was a mighty change wrought in his heart. Behold I say unto you that this is all true. And behold, he preached the word unto your fathers, and a mighty change was also wrought in their hearts, and they humbled themselves and put their trust in the true and living God. And behold, they were faithful until the end; therefore they were saved. And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?

Alma 7:14 Now I say unto you that ye must repent, and be born again; for the Spirit saith if ye are not born again ye cannot inherit the kingdom of heaven; therefore come and be baptized unto repentance, that ye may be washed from your sins, that ye may have faith on the Lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the world, who is mighty to save and to cleanse from all unrighteousness.

When you accept Christ...repent for your sins and open your heart to Him...you receive the Holy Spirit. At our Church, the Pastor and even members of the congregation lay hands on you. And it's an amazing experience...when I went up to the front of the church and received...it was the most amazingly spiritual experience of my entire life. I literally felt a spritual release of all the baggage I had carried my entire life...all the sin...the hurt...the worry...it dissipated. In a spiritual sense...I felt Satan lose his grip on my heart and then felt the warmth and fire of the Holy Spirit come upon me...enveloping me...filling me. There was no doubt that I had received the Lord Jesus Christ. No doubt. I felt a freedom and have felt a freedom since then that is just awesome. There is no peace like the peace that is found in Christ.

Once I had the Holy Spirit working within me...I began to change. The world...all the uglies of the world just seemed smaller and smaller and wholesome things began to mean more to me. I was literally changing from within. I was a new person. This is the new birth in Christ.
I can't argue with your experience, Dawny, nor would I want to. I don't doubt a word of what you said. My only issue is with the authority by which these people laid their hands on you. But if we were to go off on that subject now, the topic of debate first laid down by Aqualung and Buttercup would be taken even further off course.

Wanted to provide you with another intepretation of "water" baptism. I lean toward accepting that we are to be born of WATER AND THE SPIRIT in this sense moreso than I believe that the WATER baptism in a literal sense is necessary to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

And it makes sense. You can't come to Christ without accepting the WORD of God....the "water".
That's an interesting interpretation, and it makes a certain amount of sense. Still, however, it leaves two unanswered questions in my mind: (1) Why did Jesus go to John the Baptist to receive baptism? Why would this have been necessary for him and not us? Certainly, He already was filled with the Spirit. But He had not fulfilled this one simple act required of Him. (2) Why did He tell the Apostles to baptize people if one is baptized without the assistance of another human being, simply by believing in Christ? What was He telling them to do anyway?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Just stopping in for a quick check on updates. Too much to do around here today to stay long. Looks like we may have to move the thread. That's fine with me MODS.

Squirt,

Do you agree with FFH's post here?

If you have accepted Christ, and have died, but were never baptized, you will be given the opportunity to accept the ordinance of baptism in the next life. This is why Latter-day Saints do baptisms for the dead.
Edit: Spirit Prison is for those that have not accepted Christ as their Savior. Spirit Paradise is for those that have accepted Christ as their Savior.

This post aligns more in keeping with the originals points.
Are these two statements true to you as well?

And as I've said before, the LDS teach different doctrine in many areas than mainstream Prostestants and we could be here for the rest of our lives.

Squirt

Buttercup said:
Do you agree with FFH's post here?
Yes, in spite of the fact that he wasn't supposed to have posted at all, he did a good job of explaining our belief.

Buttercup said:
FFH said:
Edit: Spirit Prison is for those that have not accepted Christ as their Savior. Spirit Paradise is for those that have accepted Christ as their Savior.
This post aligns more in keeping with the originals points.
Are these two statements true to you as well?
I think that's probably a reasonably accurate way of putting it.

And as I've said before, the LDS teach different doctrine in many areas than mainstream Prostestants and we could be here for the rest of our lives.
:D You may be right. My point in being here is to convince you that there is biblical evidence for the LDS position. I don't expect to convert you, but I would like very much to help you understand that we are not simply pulling our beliefs out of thin air. We haven't even touched on baptisms for the dead, which were practiced anciently just as today. Are you saying you don't want to continue the debate because you don't see it going anywhere except around in circles?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
No, I just want everyone to stay on topic. This is what I wanted to talk about orginally and I want to finish it to the end. FFH's comments are in direct opposition to Aqua's. So who's views are correct? Aqua's or yours and FFH's? :) I want correct LDS doctrine established before we proceed.

See you later today.....

Squirt

Buttercup said:
No, I just want everyone to stay on topic. This is what I wanted to talk about orginally and I want to finish it to the end. FFH's comments are in direct opposition to Aqua's. So who's views are correct? Aqua's or yours and FFH's? :) I want correct LDS doctrine established before we proceed.

See you later today.....
Okay, why don't you start by directing me to the specific posts in which Aqulung stated her understanding of LDS doctrine. (Do cut her some slack, though. Unless I'm mistaken, she is a relatively new LDS convert.)

Aqualung

Tasty
This is a two-on-two debate!! If you have something you want to say, either PM dawny or buttercup of me or squirt, depending on who you want to tell. There will be no exceptions!

Aqualung

Tasty
Buttercup said:
Of course repentance of our sins, obeying his commandments and belief that Christ is God are what is necessary for salvation.
Oh, except for the commandment where it says "be baptised!"?

I figured that was a given. I have just been saying all along that you can do ALL that without being baptized with water and be saved.
Well, you can do all of it except be baptised.

Aqualung

Tasty
dawny said:
Yes. I've never discounted the importance of water baptism (if this verse is even referring solely to water baptism)...my argument is that WATER baptism does not save a person.
We are not saying that water saves anyone either. We're saying that you need water baptism, too, to be saved.