• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aqualung vs Buttercup

Squirt

Aqualung said:
We are not saying that water saves anyone either. We're saying that you need water baptism, too, to be saved.
It seems to me that we've got two debates going on in one thread (1) Is baptism required for salvation? (2) What is the Spirit World and does it still exist today?

Which one of these topics are we going to debate? Aqulung and Buttercup, I think it should be up to you. Once the decision has been made, we need to stick to the topic. That said, I can understand why the topic drifted off-course in the first place. Obviously, if baptism is optional here on earth, there is little point in even discussing how it figures in once we die. We could, however, simply limit our discussion to something on the order of, "What happens to people who died without ever having had a chance to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ and accept Him as their Savior?" What do you all think?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I'm waiting for word from Victor.

I've pretty much given my support for my claims and beliefs and I have no desire to debate the spiritual prison. This will only end up as LDS vs. other Christians and that's pretty pointless. There is TOO little scripture on the spiritual prison and paradise "issue" to debate.

I would be interested in knowing what Aqua and Squirt think of the idea that "water" can interpret as "The Word". And if Victor deams necessary, I am willing to start a new thread on that topic.

Ultimately, I think it boils down to individual interpretation...separate religious denominations.

I go to a church where there is no "authority" in the church amongst men. We have a Pastor, who simply preaches the Word. The WORD of God is our authority. No formalities.

Aqualung

Tasty
It may rest on individual interpretation, but I still don't understand how "Unless you are born of the water and of the spirit you cannot enter into the kingdom of heaven" can be interpreted to mean anything other than the necessity of baptism both by water and by the Holy Spirit.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Well A-Lung, it looks as though our debate will be coming to an end. I found out some facts today about LDS doctrine and it looks like we've been debating with the wrong info. Looks as though if a person dies after accepting Christ as Lord and Saviour and repents of their sins but dies before being baptised, they go to Spirit Paradise, not Spirit Prison. Then, according to LDS doctrine, someone still on earth needs to do a baptism for the dead on their behalf. Does this sound right?

I can live with that explanation....it makes sense and it is closer to mainstream Christianity as well. Going to Spirit Prison after accepting Christ, and repenting of your sins just didn't sound right to me. I feel better now that I know that bit. We aren't as far apart as I thought.

Thanks again and I am relieved that your teachings are similar to ours on the Salvation issue which is of the utmost importance.

Of course I don't believe in baptising the dead....but that's another thread topic! :)

Squirt

Buttercup said:
Of course I don't believe in baptising the dead....but that's another thread topic! :)
Just for the record, Buttercup, we don't actually baptize the dead. ;) But when you want to talk about what we do do, and why, just say the word.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Squirt....perhaps you should start a thread about it! You can straighten out misconceptions people may have. :)