• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apples and oranges

King Phenomenon

Most religions explain the universe with God and seeks no evidence. Faith is all you need. Science explains the universe with observation and evidence. Two completely different things. Nothing to debate between them. I believe in God and I also accept things as fact that science has proven through evidence. There is no clash between the two.

Last edited:

King Phenomenon

That's not what I meant. I was referring to this statement...

How can you make such a statement without a comprehensive understanding of all religions?
My bad
Yeah I was just going after the main religions. I do realize there are some religions who don't even have a God and there may be some that seek proof as well I'm not sure

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Religion explains the universe with God and seeks no proof just faith. Science explains the universe with observation and proof. Two completely different things. Nothing to debate between them.

End of story then?

Oh wait a minute...

Religion tells a story to fill in gaps in ancient peoples knowledge.

Although science does work in proof, it attempts to fill those gaps

I see much to debate in that

ChristineM

Premium Member
I don't understand the gap part.

Its common enough, "god of the gaps"

People did not understand much so god filled the gaps in knowledge. 'i dont understand why its windy so god must be doing it' ... 'how did the the world come to be???, God made it'...

Gaps in knowledge that science is filling in with evidence

ChristineM

Premium Member
There's still two different things. One tells a story to fill gaps one seeks evidence to fill gaps.

And the one that tells the story will very often deny that evidence because it fills a gap they don't want filling

King Phenomenon

People did not understand much so god filled the gaps in knowledge. 'i dont understand why its windy so god must be doing it' ... 'how did the the world come to be???, God made it'...

I guess you got me on that one. I guess there's very much to debate then

King Phenomenon

I thought you said in another thread that Science tries to explain the universe through evidence? Well those may have not been your exact words but something like that. So if religion explains the universe with god, where is the debate between the two? As far as things like why the wind blows I think most people know why it blows. So there's not much to debate there either.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I thought you said in another thread that Science tries to explain the universe through evidence? Well those may have not been your exact words but something like that. So if religion explains the universe with god, where is the debate between the two? As far as things like why the wind blows I think most people know why it blows. So there's not much to debate there either.

There are bible literalist, fundimentalists, creationists. Who make claims.

Religion does not explain the universe with god, there is no falsifiable evidence a god even exists. What religion does (some religions anyway) is put (what i consider harmful) ideas into children (and later adults) that 'we don't know so god must have done it'.

Hawkins

Most religions explain the universe with God and seeks no evidence. Faith is all you need. Science explains the universe with observation and evidence. Two completely different things. Nothing to debate between them. I believe in God and I also accept things as fact that science has proven through evidence. There is no clash between the two.

You don't seem to understand any science. Science is also based on faith to assume a multiverse model, which is not falsifiable, in order to further explain the current universe.

gnostic

The Lost One
You don't seem to understand any science. Science is also based on faith to assume a multiverse model, which is not falsifiable, in order to further explain the current universe.
Multiverse isn’t scientific theory and it isn’t science.

Multiverse is just one of proposed model that
  1. isn’t falsifiable,
  2. and to date, haven’t been tested (basically because it is untestable),
  3. and not really under peer review because there are no testable evidence so far.

You are missing the points, that Multiverse is only a PROPOSED alternative.

You do understand what “proposed” and “proposal” mean don’t you, A proposed concept is one that haven’t been accepted, and in Multiverse it isn’t science.

So you are barking at the wrong tree.