• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apollo 14 Astronaut claims aliens exist!

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Well, you caught the point nicely.

And who exactly was making that point? Oh yeah, no one. Thank you for making normal beliefs held by many people, even here, out to be some ridiculous farce that doesn't accurately describe anyone's position. Always so helpful. I'll remember that the next time I am discussing God or religion with you.

A

angellous_evangellous

And who exactly was making that point? Oh yeah, no one.

I've simply postured a defined intelligent life from this well-reasoned argument:

All I've seen is going from "We exist and there are trillions of other planets out there" to "Intelligent life of some sort probably exists".

Well, there are so many planets out there that salmon should be in existence somewhere. Perhaps even advanced salmon that could blow earth to bits.

It was I, of course, who made the point.:rolleyes:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I've simply postured a defined intelligent life from this well-reasoned argument:

It was I, of course, who made the point.:rolleyes:

In other words, you took the claim "There seems to be a good chance that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe", and distorted it into "There must be salmon elsewhere in the universe that have the capability to come here and blow us up". As in, you decided to mock my stance with a ridiculous distortion of your own. I think you need to stop. It's not funny, and it's very insulting. I don't go into threads about God and mock people for their beliefs. I would expect you to do the same when it comes to other subjects where you disagree. I might be setting my expectation level a little high, though.

Dreamwolf

Blissful Insomniac
In other words, you took the claim "There seems to be a good chance that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe", and distorted it into "There must be salmon elsewhere in the universe that have the capability to come here and blow us up". As in, you decided to mock my stance with a ridiculous distortion of your own. I think you need to stop. It's not funny, and it's very insulting. I don't go into threads about God and mock people for their beliefs. I would expect you to do the same when it comes to other subjects where you disagree. I might be setting my expectation level a little high, though.

:yes: Gave me the same impression. I wish I could frubal you again.

A

angellous_evangellous

If you didn't assert that salmon might be on another planet, however intelligent, you have nothing to worry about.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Nobody asserted such a thing. You were just being rude. Not to mention building a strawman.

A

angellous_evangellous

Not to mention building a strawman.

I can make it dance and sing...

Besides, I did assert that perhaps there may be intelligent salmon somewhere in the universe due to the almost inconceivable amount of planets, and that assertion deserves as much respect as any other on this thread...

The logical fallacy that I was utilizing was Reductio ad absurdum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It's not a strawman because I didn't attribute it to anyone...

Last edited by a moderator:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
If you didn't assert that salmon might be on another planet, however intelligent, you have nothing to worry about.

Except that you do more than imply that your assertion is synonymous with mine. It's not. The worst part is that you deny your intentions when they are quite clear to more than one of us here. It's one thing to make fun of someone, it's another to deny even doing it.

A

angellous_evangellous

The worst part is that you deny your intentions when they are quite clear to more than one of us here.

Remarkable. I salute your evaluation of your ability to read not only all the material on this thread, but also the inner workings of my soul.

In this case you are obviously incorrect, but if you could do it, that would be a great responsibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

Besides, I did assert that perhaps there may be intelligent salmon somewhere in the universe due to the almost inconceivable amount of planets, and that assertion deserves as much respect as any other on this thread...

Which is apparently none, according to you.

The logical fallacy that I was utilizing was Reductio ad absurdum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It's not a strawman because I didn't attribute it to anyone...

So, you are even admitting that you are using logical fallacies in your arguments now? Also, you did attribute it to people just by bringing it up here. You can pretend al you want, but there was no other reason for you to bring it up here other than to associate it with my and others' arguments.

A

angellous_evangellous

Which is apparently none, according to you.

On the contrary, I explicitly stated the opposite.

So, you are even admitting that you are using logical fallacies in your arguments now?
Obviously it was self-deprecating.

Also, you did attribute it to people just by bringing it up here. You can pretend al you want, but there was no other reason for you to bring it up here other than to associate it with my and others' arguments.
It is abundantly obvious that I only attributed it to myself. I would not dare accuse you of a fallacy.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Obviously it was self-deprecating.

No, not obviously. Not when you've already shown disrespect for my point of view, and come off as arrogant in this thread.

And now I see that after I quoted you, you added in a link to put in a little condescension, too. As if the other disrespect you've shown wasn't enough. In the same post where you try to claim you haven't shown disprespect, you show it quite blatantly. Thanks.

It is abundantly obvious that I only attributed it to myself. I would not dare accuse you of a fallacy.

No, again, it's not obvious. From everything you have said in this thread, I think it's more than reasonable to assume you attributed it to me and others due to our claims.

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

No, not obviously.

Well, then, I am very pleased to clarify it for you.

No, again, it's not obvious. From everything you have said in this thread, I think it's more than reasonable to assume you attributed it to me and others due to our claims.

Fabulous. I've been repeatedly warned not to assume that what is obvious to me is not obvious to others. I'm sure a reciprocal courtesy of not assuming motives is not too much to ask.

Now if you insist on reading me in the worst possible way, despite my gracious clarification -- I am allowed, of course, to utilize logical fallacies to demonstrate the failures in my own thinking -- then I wish you the very best in that vain endeavor.

You're also merrily ignoring my assent that I share your belief that there could be life on other planets.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Fabulous. I've been repeatedly warned not to assume that what is obvious to me is not obvious to others. I'm sure a reciprocal courtesy of not assuming motives is not too much to ask.

Then please explain to me what else you were trying to accomplish with your "salmon" comments.

And, I'm sorry, I just figured that since you were showing disdain earlier in the thread for my position, that later questionable comments with no other discernable mottive, were showing disdain for my position. Do you deny that even your earlier comments, especially your support of Jay's insults, showed disdain for my position, along with others'?

rojse

RF Addict

I was agreeing with you until you said that. The anthropic principle and the Drake Equation are two ways of saying that it is quite possible to find life simply because of the sheer amount of planets there are.

Neither of these state what the aliens might look like.

Aliens like grey men, no matter how improbable they are, are at least biologically able to hold anal probes and drive spacecraft, while salmon are not.

Your idea is not a reductio ad absurdium, because you have added more caveats to the initial premise to try and make it out to be ridiculous. That aliens might exist because of the amount of planets there are is one thing. To assert that they will look like the traditional grey men is on a scale much more improbable. However, that there are two identical species that have arose independently, regardless of local pressures and habitat, and that one can wield guns and drive spacecraft, is simply ludicrous.