• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AOC and All Other Members of the "Squad" Have Been Re-Elected to Congress

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Ukraine isn't first world.
Also, I'm not sure how civilians with shotguns and hunting rifles could've helped repel an actual military (even one as ****ty as Russia's) who have tanks, mortars, etc.
Thanks to those who supplied arms, training, and those who assisted in hobbling the invasion.

While I agree with your assessment, I'm sure it still helps with the resistance efforts.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Doesn't that technicality miss the point
that lowly personal firearms can be useful?

I'm not anti-gun per se. I just think they too easily obtained and this idea that your average citizen can solve problems by going Rambo is unrealistic and irresponsible. Too much fetishism and fantasy. Our gun culture causes serious and unique issues (such as routine piles of dead schoolchildren) that are extremely rare outside the U.S., unless you wish to compare the U.S. to third world countries like Brazil or Honduras.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Thanks to those who supplied arms, training, and those who assisted in hobbling the invasion.

While I agree with your assessment, I'm sure it still helps with the resistance efforts.

I think an untrained civilian resistance armed only with civilian market guns should be a last resort, otherwise civilians would be better off avoiding contract with hostiles and let the military handle it. Don't want to draw fire and have your home and family shelled.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I believe that a gun of any type should require licensing, including thorough training and testing. Also, a civilian doesn't need a bullet hose for hunting, self defense, or sport. The 2nd Amendment doesn't necessarily mean any and all arms. For example, if restricting high capacity rifles violates the 2nd Amendment, then wouldn't the ban on rocket propelled grenades already be in violation of it? Where should the line be drawn? A nuclear warhead is an arm, which is obviously a very extreme example, but even the staunchest 2A supporter wouldn't bemoan it's unavailability on the civilian market. 2A would still be intact even if muskets were the only type of gun available.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I believe that a gun of any type should require licensing, including thorough training and testing. Also, a civilian doesn't need a bullet hose for hunting, self defense, or sport. The 2nd Amendment doesn't necessarily mean any and all arms. For example, if restricting high capacity rifles violates the 2nd Amendment, then wouldn't the ban on rocket propelled grenades already be in violation of it? Where should the line be drawn? A nuclear warhead is an arm, which is obviously a very extreme example, but even the staunchest 2A supporter wouldn't bemoan it's unavailability on the civilian market. 2A would still be intact even if muskets were the only type of gun available.
A constitutional originalist (like this groundskeeper)
would consider what kinds of guns were owned &
used by militia members. They were small arms
that were state of the art military capability.

I favor thorough vetting & training, which wouldn't
be an undue burden, given the potential for death.

TLK Valentine

Read the books that others would burn.
I think an untrained civilian resistance armed only with civilian market guns should be a last resort, otherwise civilians would be better off avoiding contract with hostiles and let the military handle it. Don't want to draw fire and have your home and family shelled.

Agreed -- "Untrained civilian resistance" makes a nice military euphemism for "training exercise."

Fun fact - when the British were marching towards Bunker Hill (actually Breed's Hill, but the British were using the wrong map), they passed through the neighborhood of Charlestown Village, where they were slowed by sniper fire from second floor windows.

This proved to be only a temporary inconvenience, as the Redcoats, rather than waste time searching houses to root out "untrained civilian resistance," took a far more expeditious tactic -- they simply burned the entire village to the ground.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
That's New York for you.

Corruption has many facets, not at least of which creates internal strife.

Ousted Democratic campaign chairman slams AOC for attack on state party leadership

At least Republicans gained some in-roads admist the entrenchment. Thank you AOC.

She's incredibly insignificant and ineffective anyways. None of her bills ever passed making this a harmless inconvenience at best. Her district can fester and rot for all I care. They actually deserve each other.
Makes one wonder what you're so afraid of then and why you seem so obsessed with her. ;)

Twilight Hue

Neither guns nor cars are as well regulated
as they should be (IMO). The number of
deaths per year in USA is close.
Force every driver in the nation to keep log books, HOS compliance, and random safety inspections throughout the nation. It works for trucks. It will work for cars.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Force every driver in the nation to keep log books, HOS compliance, and random safety inspections throughout the nation. It works for trucks. It will work for cars.
Possibly.
But I can see useful intermediate measures,
eg, more stringent requirements for drivers
of high performance cars & anyone towing
a trailer.

Twilight Hue

Possibly.
But I can see useful intermediate measures,
eg, more stringent requirements for drivers
of high performance cars & anyone towing
a trailer.
Actually i was joking but I wouldn't put it past today's authoritarians to eventually push something like that.

They did it with trucks after all.