• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

anything you want to know about me, .Lava?

Fatihah

hi :)

i am sorry, i am a little shy to make this thread. i was asked to be Mod here. i'll give it a try. i don't know what to say about myself. my ages, for example...i always forget my age, well, how am i supposed to remember a number that changes every year, for God's sake?

anyways, i am Turkish. i live in Istanbul most of the time.

i love universe, i love people, i love virtues of human, i love art, i love sunny days, i love rainy days, i admire fog and i love to walk when there is fog, i love to learn, i love to help people, i love tea, i love solitude...

you may ask me if you have questions about me

thank you :eek:

As salaamu alaikum sister

You are from Istanbul? I have always been curious as to the difference between experiences in living in a muslim country and a non-muslim country by muslims and hear so from another muslim. I myself was born and raised and reside in the US. Have you ever lived or spent time in a western country? If so, what was it like? And what are some of the differences you had to adapt to if you did?

.lava

Veteran Member
yo .. if i may ask why do you prefer calling your self a haneef Muslim than an ordinary Muslim Don't we a worship the same GOD and read the same QURAN ????

hi :) i don't call myself haneef Muslim. i am a Muslim. but if i called myself haneef it would not be wrong. haneef is the name God uses in Qur'an. Islam is haneef religion of Abraham PBUH. i checked out on-line translation but since there is no direct translation for this word, it does not appear. you can read it yourself from original text. here are a few verses where Allah uses the word "haneef"

30:30
16:120
22:31
6:79
3:67
98:5

i found one;

002.135YUSUFALI: They say: "Become Jews or Christians if ye would be guided (To salvation)." Say thou: "Nay! (I would rather) the Religion of Abraham the True, and he joined not gods with Allah."
PICKTHAL: And they say: Be Jews or Christians, then ye will be rightly guided. Say (unto them, O Muhammad): Nay, but (we follow) the religion of Abraham, the upright, and he was not of the idolaters.
SHAKIR: And they say: Be Jews or Christians, you will be on the right course. Say: Nay! (we follow) the religion of Ibrahim, the Hanif, and he was not one of the polytheists.

hi :) i don't call myself haneef Muslim. i am a Muslim. but if i called myself haneef it would not be wrong. haneef is the name God uses in Qur'an. Islam is haneef religion of Abraham PBUH. i checked out on-line translation but since there is no direct translation for this word, it does not appear. you can read it yourself from original text. here are a few verses where Allah uses the word "haneef"

30:30
16:120
22:31
6:79
3:67
98:5

i found one;

002.135YUSUFALI: They say: "Become Jews or Christians if ye would be guided (To salvation)." Say thou: "Nay! (I would rather) the Religion of Abraham the True, and he joined not gods with Allah."
PICKTHAL: And they say: Be Jews or Christians, then ye will be rightly guided. Say (unto them, O Muhammad): Nay, but (we follow) the religion of Abraham, the upright, and he was not of the idolaters.
SHAKIR: And they say: Be Jews or Christians, you will be on the right course. Say: Nay! (we follow) the religion of Ibrahim, the Hanif, and he was not one of the polytheists.

oh ok i thought you were referring to one of the 4 imam's of Islam & in that case we are all (hanif)

thankx for clearing that up:)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
All of this talk about Istanbul has made me want to listen to Loreena Mckennitt. One of her best songs is called The Gates of Istanbul. It is beautiful middle eastern influenced music. Very mystical.

.lava

Veteran Member
All of this talk about Istanbul has made me want to listen to Loreena Mckennitt. One of her best songs is called The Gates of Istanbul. It is beautiful middle eastern influenced music. Very mystical.

i don't know her. but i know the gates. they are real. each gate is named by a saint's name. there is an interesting story about shah and a saint. Ottoman Shah used to leave palace with ordinary clothes to check out public without being noticed. so he goes out again and meets a saint who sails from one shore to another and shah is passenger in his boat. they chat. shah realizes he is a saint. Shah, with little arrogance, wants to challange him and asks him which gate Shah would use today. man writes name of the gate and gives it to passanger. Shah thinks the guy is going to lose. though to make it fair he does not read his answer. so Shah decides to build a new gate. they break down the walls to open one more gate to the city. then he reads the paper. it says "New Gate". today that gate is called New Gate

.lava

Veteran Member
Who are your favorite musicians?

i don't have one. i listen to different kinds of music. i might have favorite songs of the day or of the week, i listen to them for awhile. it is also possible i listen to just one song of a band. because i can't stand any songs they make except for one. for example Apocalyptica, i certainly can not listen to them. because it is too harsh for me. but they have one song and i listen to it almost everyday. i think there are good musicians who don't really need my interest. David Bowie for instance, i think he is a good musician but i don't remember when was the last time i listened to his songs

.lava

Veteran Member
As salaamu alaikum sister

You are from Istanbul? I have always been curious as to the difference between experiences in living in a muslim country and a non-muslim country by muslims and hear so from another muslim. I myself was born and raised and reside in the US. Have you ever lived or spent time in a western country? If so, what was it like? And what are some of the differences you had to adapt to if you did?

Ve Alaykum Salaam :)

yes, i've been in Western nations, mostly i spent time in France, England and Spain. in Turkey there are Western-like people, there are religious people and there are different levels inbetween. we have many different colors so to speak. so in here people are used to each other. in Europe, maybe people are not used to being different. but they are people too. except for a minority who happened to be arrogant and therefor look down upon Eastern even before they know what kind of person you are, they are just people like anyone, like any Muslim; same worries, same emotions, same desires...etc. the thing that i would miss most in non-Muslim nations is Ezan. i need to hear it, therefor i don't think i can spend a life time, say, in Denmark.

if there were certain words that perceived as insult or swearing, i would learn them not to say. i would adapt rules that's there to make society secure, calm and peaceful

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Congrats my dear .lava :flower:
You would be a great mod :yes:
Wish you all the best in your new task!! :)

.lava

Veteran Member
I am idolater and a polytheist .Do have any things to say about my belief?

Thanks "MOD".:bow:

sure :) your belief is your connection with reality you perceive. it is a bond that should be respected and i, for being just a little part of that reality, have no right to jugde your belief. well, unless your belief requires killing people, eating me alive..etc that sort of things

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
sure :) your belief is your connection with reality you perceive. it is a bond that should be respected and i, for being just a little part of that reality, have no right to jugde your belief. well, unless your belief requires killing people, eating me alive..etc that sort of things

Thanks for not judging.lava.:)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Congrats lava. nice to have you on staff.
So, I'll throw a few questions as well.

Which Sufi poets do you enjoy reading?
speaking of Hanifs, are you familiar with Melchizedek of the Hebrew Bible, and his relationship with Abraham?
In which ways do you practice Sufism? is it through poetry, dancing, Dhikr?
Which secular habits do you enjoy taking part in? and what secular aspects of Turkish society do you appreciate?
what connection do you see between the Abrahamic faiths, and do you believe all three religions are still true to their hanif roots to this day?​

Last edited:

.lava

Veteran Member
Congrats lava. nice to have you on staff.
So, I'll throw a few questions as well.

thank you :)

Which Sufi poets do you enjoy reading?

i might like any Sufi poetry in the right time and in the right mood. but i find that saint lady, Rabia, as most impressive.

speaking of Hanifs, are you familiar with Melchizedek of the Hebrew Bible, and his relationship with Abraham?

no, i am definetely not. since Abraham is İbrahim in Turkish, maybe Melchizedek also has a Turkish name. he is a person, right?

In which ways do you practice Sufism? is it through poetry, dancing, Dhikr?

according to our teachings Sufism is Islam that's written in Qur'an. so basics are performing salaats, fasting, Dhikr, reading and discussing verses. other things like dancing and singing (or any other form of art) are not mentioned or better to say there is no command of God about them. we are not commanded to dance or to sing. so they are optional things. it is up to likes or people. in our commune there are people who's interested in music. i am not. i am just a listener. singing, dancing are not the most known options though. for example Ebru art is considered as art of God. i want to try it some day because it looks so amazing doing it. Hat art is also very common. do you know about them?

Which secular habits do you enjoy taking part in? and what secular aspects of Turkish society do you appreciate?

i appreciate many things about system we have in Turkey. i don't know what you mean by secular habits though.

what connection do you see between the Abrahamic faiths, and do you believe all three religions are still true to their hanif roots to this day?

i believe there is one God and there is only one religion of God. it is the religion of Abraham PBUH. some people called it Christianity, some called it Judaism, some called it Islam. Abraham PBUH called it haneef religion. i have doubt there are Christians and Jews who live true religion of Abraham PBUH. i also believe these three religions one day would unite. then peace would come to this world. i was told about Jews once and how devoted they could be. so as an answer to your first question, they are the same religion with different rituels. and for the second, in practice each group has members who are still true to the hanif roots.

i hope my answers are satisfying, Caladan

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
no, i am definetely not. since Abraham is İbrahim in Turkish, maybe Melchizedek also has a Turkish name. he is a person, right?
Yes he is a man. according to the book of Genesis he was the King of Salem, later known as Jerusalem. he was a believer in the One God who greeted Abraham as he arrived from smiting his enemies.

"Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine: and he was priest of God Most High, and he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth. and blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all."

~Genesis 14:18-20

for example Ebru art is considered as art of God. i want to try it some day because it looks so amazing doing it. Hat art is also very common. do you know about them?
I'll be happy to hear more.

i appreciate many things about system we have in Turkey. i don't know what you mean by secular habits though.
Well, I guess I'll start by, what things do you enjoy doing? hobbies, recreational, social, etc. ;)

i hope my answers are satisfying, Caladan
Thanks for indulging me ;)