• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any tips for Bible Study?

@SearchingForGod, sorry that your thread got derailed. but it happens. Do you have any other questions about pursuing Torah study?

Finally. I'd be interested in hearing why you wish to focus on the early Hebrew scriptures.

Nope, I just had no idea on how people were supposed to do scripture studies, so I thought I'd ask about it.

And I am interested in looking at Jewish scriptures because if I'm going to find a religion to follow, I should at least understand it from the beginning. Whether that means I would be Jewish or Christian is yet to be determined, but I thought I would read what I need to know from the very beginning, which would start with the Torah and subsequent books. :)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Nope, I just had no idea on how people were supposed to do scripture studies, so I thought I'd ask about it.

And I am interested in looking at Jewish scriptures because if I'm going to find a religion to follow, I should at least understand it from the beginning. Whether that means I would be Jewish or Christian is yet to be determined, but I thought I would read what I need to know from the very beginning, which would start with the Torah and subsequent books. :)
Just a thought: if you are anywhere near a Conservative or Reform Synagogue they are very likely to have weekly a Torah class. Every one that I've been involved in would be happy to have you as a participant.

omega2xx

<yawn>

If and when you (mistakenly) feel competent to debate the matter, feel free to ask someone to PM me. Until then, you're way past due for the ignore-list.​

</yawn>

Ps 22:17b - They divided My garments and for My clothing they cast lots.

Jn 19:24 - So they said to one another, "Let us not tear it, but cast lots for it, to decide whose it shall be"; this was to fulfill the Scripture, They divided My outer garments among them, and for My clothing they cast lots.

omega2xx

It helps to understand the OT, if you understand the NT.

The new is in the old contained
The old is in the new explained

Jn 19:24 - So they said to one another, "Let us not tear it, but cast lots for it, to decide whose it shall be"; this was to fulfill the Scripture, They divided My outer garments among them, and for My clothing they cast lots.

omega2xx

Uh, no. That's just what it says. "Behold the young woman is pregnant and she will give birth to a son." The part that's the sign is what comes after that - what will happen with this son she's pregnant with.

• My question was "how will they be able to identify the child if the woman is not a virgin? A young girl giving birth to a son would be a common event in Jerusalem then.

omega2xx

That part was not the sign, that was a statement of fact.

That does not answer my question. How can they identify the child?

omega2xx

the mistranslation happens with every preaching

You are not qualified to make such a statement.

no two people read ANY script exactly the same way
no two people receive ANY script to the same meaning

and i am pointing out the variations obvious
the chain of events and the details.....one gospel to another

as if each author saw a different Man

You have not pointed out anything, You have just made dogmatic statements with no supporting evidence.

Psa 22:17b - They divided My garments among them and for My clothing they cast lots.

Jn 19:24 - They said therefore to one another, "lets us not tear it, but cast lots for it, to decide whose it shall be", that the Scriptures might be fulfilled, they divided My garments among them and for My clothing they cast lots.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

You have not pointed out anything, You have just made dogmatic statements with no supporting evidence.

Psa 22:17b - They divided My garments among them and for My clothing they cast lots.

Jn 19:24 - They said therefore to one another, "lets us not tear it, but cast lots for it, to decide whose it shall be", that the Scriptures might be fulfilled, they divided My garments among them and for My clothing they cast lots.
we have all been given instruction....
be careful that you are not deceived

that much is up to me

roger1440

I do stuff

What Bible did you buy? I don't think anyone has asked that. Are you or have you been connected to any church? Is so, can you go into a little detail?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?” God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.'" God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, ‘The Lord, the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, the name you shall call me from generation to generation".
— Exodus 3:13-15

a fair reference?
I think so

pearl

but I thought I would read what I need to know from the very beginning, which would start with the Torah and subsequent books.

In some way you have an advantage, to read Hebrew Scriptures for their own, rather than through Christian interpretation. When reading Christian Scripture it is easy to read it back to the Hebrew because when the NT authors asked who Jesus was there only recourse was the one Scripture to answer the question. The person of Jesus both unites and divides Judaism and Christianity.

Tumah

Veteran Member
  • My question was "how will they be able to identify the child if the woman is not a virgin? A young girl giving birth to a son would be a common event in Jerusalem then.

Deut. 31:26 - Take this scroll of the Torah and place it on the side of the Ark of the covenant of the LORD your G-d, and it will be there for you as a witness.

Tums 6:13 - And Tumah returned the Torah scroll to the Ark at the conclusion of the Torah reading; this was to fulfill the Scripture, Take this scroll of the Torah and place it on the side of the Ark of the covenant of the LORD your G-d, and it will be there for you as a witness.

You see how easy it is to be the fulfilled Messiah? I guess that makes me a contender for the messiahship.

Tumah

Veteran Member
(quote)
actually, what Jeremiah speaks to is the end of the Law Covenant, and the coming New Covenant.
Yes he does.
Which is mediated by Jesus, over those who accepted Jesus as the Anointed One of God, the King-designate of the coming Kingdom.
Nowhere in Jeremiah are these words or anything like them mentioned.
The new covenant, unlike the old one, is to be written , not on stone tablets, but on hearts
Correct!
and is 'different' from the covenant God made with , the 'old, obsolete' covenant of laws given thru Moses.
No, this is not what it says. Its kind of weird, because in the statement immediately preceding this one, you clearly described the difference that Jeremiah explains between the old and new covenant. But for some reason here you fabricated a different difference that is not stated in the verses there. The difference between them is like you said, before it was written externally and in the future it would be inscribed internally. No further differences are described in the verses.

Let's not omit Exodus 3:15, which read, "Then God said once more to Moses: 'this is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, "Jehovah the God of your forefathers , the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you," This is my name to time indefinite, and this is the memorial of me to generation after generation.'
We don't need to omit it, we just need to recognize that G-d uses more than one name.

Tumah

Veteran Member
(quote)

when translated into English as well as many other languages, the "J" certainly is a valid consonant.
suppose you have no problem pronouncing Jeremiah, Jonah, Joel, Joshua, etc., eh?
where did that "J" come from?[/QUOTE]
Ok, so if a "J" is a valid consonant in place of the Hebrew "Y", then why can't a "T" be a valid consonant in place of the "V"? Ultimately you're saying that humans are the ones that can choose how to call G-d, because G-d dictated the letter "Y" to Moses, but you're replacing it with the letter "J". If that's ok, then I don't see why any other changes shouldn't be.

Besides for that, you are making the claim that not pronouncing G-d's Name is a rejection of G-d. You haven't yet made the claim that not pronouncing Jeremiah's or Jonah's name is a rejection of them.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, so if a "J" is a valid consonant in place of the Hebrew "Y", then why can't a "T" be a valid consonant in place of the "V"? Ultimately you're saying that humans are the ones that can choose how to call G-d, because G-d dictated the letter "Y" to Moses, but you're replacing it with the letter "J". If that's ok, then I don't see why any other changes shouldn't be.
It's because originally J was pronounced the same as Y and V same as W, so they scribed it this way in their Bibles. It wasn't some random change.

Tumah

Veteran Member
It's because originally J was pronounced the same as Y and V same as W, so they scribed it this way in their Bibles. It wasn't some random change.
Yes, I know. But if its the name is important, than we would expect JW's to make the necessary changes to their Bibles when writing in modern English so as to reflect the new pronunciation.

Daisies4me

(quote)

when translated into English as well as many other languages, the "J" certainly is a valid consonant.
suppose you have no problem pronouncing Jeremiah, Jonah, Joel, Joshua, etc., eh?
where did that "J" come from?

Besides for that, you are making the claim that not pronouncing G-d's Name is a rejection of G-d. You haven't yet made the claim that not pronouncing Jeremiah's or Jonah's name is a rejection of them.[/QUOTE]
(quote)
language translations are dont by men, not God...
do you or do you not pronounce words in the English language such as Judas, Jonah, Jeremiah, Justice, Journey, etc, etc. ?
IF you do pronounce words containing the letter J in other words which you speak, and only claim it doesn't exist when the Divine Name Jehovah comes up, that really is your issue, not a translation or linguistic issue. A personal choice that YOU make to avoid using the Divine Name. is more like the real issue here, as I see it

But that is your choice, if you reject Jehovah. He doesn't force anyone to obey Him. He gave us all the free will to choose.

Daisies4me

Yes he does.

Nowhere in Jeremiah are these words or anything like them mentioned.

Correct!

No, this is not what it says. Its kind of weird, because in the statement immediately preceding this one, you clearly described the difference that Jeremiah explains between the old and new covenant. But for some reason here you fabricated a different difference that is not stated in the verses there. The difference between them is like you said, before it was written externally and in the future it would be inscribed internally. No further differences are described in the verses.

We don't need to omit it, we just need to recognize that G-d uses more than one name.

(quote)

Glad to see that you accept that Jehovah is God's name, and as it reads that Jehovah Himself made His Name known, telling us that Jehovah is His Name, and that Name is the 'memorial ' of Him to time indefinite.
It is very plain spoken, imo.
What other names do you have for the Almighty Creator and God of the Heavens, who identifies himself as 'Jehovah'? chapter and verse, please.
thanks

Daisies4me

Yes, I know. But if its the name is important, than we would expect JW's to make the necessary changes to their Bibles when writing in modern English so as to reflect the new pronunciation.

(quote)

would you kindly give the 'necessary changes' that you deem appropriate when using the Divine Name, Jehovah, in the Bible translations ?