• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any tips for Bible Study?

So, I just got finished purchasing myself a Bible of sorts that you can apparently color inside of. It's not that I have an affinity for defacing books or anything, but I figured that having colors in my bible might help me to concentrate better. And speaking of concentrating, I suppose it would be a good idea to start studying out of this $20 bible that I got. Otherwise, it would just be a big waste of money. So, my question is, how does a person do bible studies? If it helps any, I'll be focusing on the Old Testament rather than the New Testament, at least for now.

omega2xx

So, I just got finished purchasing myself a Bible of sorts that you can apparently color inside of. It's not that I have an affinity for defacing books or anything, but I figured that having colors in my bible might help me to concentrate better. And speaking of concentrating, I suppose it would be a good idea to start studying out of this $20 bible that I got. Otherwise, it would just be a big waste of money. So, my question is, how does a person do bible studies? If it helps any, I'll be focusing on the Old Testament rather than the New Testament, at least for now.

The first thing you need to do is pray and ask God you to understand it. Just reading is good and necessary, but take some time to mediated on what you read and don't understand.

You also need a good translation. IMO, it should be one that has foot notes and cross references. Don't be in a big hurray to finish what you have determined how much o read in a day. Understanding is better than reading and not understanding.

If you are going to church make sure it teaches all of the Bible is God's inspired word and true. Most churches like that the pastor will be glad to help you understand and will b e willing to offer a mature Christian to disciple you.

Also, there are many good solid conservative Christians in this forum. Ask us about any verse or passage, you don't understand. If you are going to go to church, also go to their Sunday school classes. I learned more in Sunday school than I ever learned from a sermon.

Starting in Genesis is not a bad Idea, but after that you need to be in the NT, preferably in the gospel of John.

If you decide that what I have said makes your Bible less than good for understanding, if you give me your mailing address, I will send you a good study Bible free and pay the postage.

Good luck.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't use a Christian translation. I'm not even being biased here, you yourself must have seen all the infighting between this and that Bible translation. People have burned Bible versions they feel are somehow "Satanic" or messed with. Honestly, just go online for a good Jewish translation and even then they will tell you it's not, and never can be, perfect. Ancient Hebrew doesn't carry over well into English at all.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear; trust me, as a Christian I used to collect Bibles. I owned every major version you could name. I had plus 30. And I spent good money on them, sometimes upwards of £25. I know, it sucks.

Bon chance.

Daisies4me

(quote)
congratulations on your adventure in learning about the God of the Bible. It is quite an undertaking.
First, I would suggest a sincere prayer to the Father in the heavens, asking for His Spirit to guide your attempts to understand His Word. It is also good to ask all prayers thru the Mediator between mankind and God, Jesus Christ.

It is also good to search out one topic at the time, as it is overwhelming when too many issues are examined simultaneously.
If you would like a Bible, you can have one for free from your local Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. Just call and request one, and it will be delivered to you. or, go to www.jw.org, and request one online.
Enjoy your search of the Scriptures, I hope you find comfort from the knowledge therein.
peace

omega2xx

Don't use a Christian translation. I'm not even being biased here, you yourself must have seen all the infighting between this and that Bible translation. People have burned Bible versions they feel are somehow "Satanic" or messed with. Honestly, just go online for a good Jewish translation and even then they will tell you it's not, and never can be, perfect. Ancient Hebrew doesn't carry over well into English at all.

It will not explain the NT and scholars who are experts in Hebrew can carry it on well enouhg to understand it.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear; trust me, as a Christian I used to collect Bibles. I owned every major version you could name. I had plus 30. And I spent good money on them, sometimes upwards of £25. I know, it sucks.

Bon chance.

Having 1000 Bibles does not mean you understand them.

pearl

I'm probably the 'bad seed' here, but I would recommend a faithful Scripture scholar to study along with the Bible. Unless you consider God dictated every word. I would suggest beginning with Exodus, it is the window to the entire Bible.

Daisies4me

I'm probably the 'bad seed' here, but I would recommend a faithful Scripture scholar to study along with the Bible. Unless you consider God dictated every word. I would suggest beginning with Exodus, it is the window to the entire Bible.

(quote) since milk comes before 'meat' in the ability to 'digest' things, perhaps a newby may like to read the Psalms, or Proverbs, or if they want to learn about the time Jesus spent on the earth, from birth to death, the basics can be found in Mathew, Mark, Luke, John, and Acts.
A modern day English language translation is beneficial for first time Bible readers, as it is a bit difficult to understand 16th century King's English and terms used at that time that are not common today. Just sayin'...
The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, however, is available in about 400 languages, at present time, others to come soon. Everyone in the world should have the opportunity to read the Holy Writings in their own language, and many are very happy to have them. People know their own languages, but previously, most who sell Bibles didn't think it cost effective to try to get a Bible in the hands of everyone who wanted one. That is what we do. Provide free Bibles to whomever would like one to read. Anyone who wants on go to www.jw.org, and request on in their own language or dialect, and it will be sent to you. John 17:17.
For those who don't presently have a Bible, they can also read it online free at the same website.
Enjoy

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The Plaut Commentary

9780807409954-us-300.jpg

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
..... So, my question is, how does a person do bible studies? If it helps any, I'll be focusing on the Old Testament rather than the New Testament, at least for now.

Interesting ^ above ^ because young Jesus too focused 'first' on the old Hebrew Scriptures.
After Jesus' baptism, then Jesus expounded or further explained those old Hebrew Scriptures to his followers.
Jesus often prefaced his statements with the words, " it is written....." meaning already written down in the OT.
Since the Bible is Not written ABC as a dictionary or encyclopedia is, then to me we need to study or research the Scriptures by subject or topic arrangement. I think, be like the people of Acts of the Apostles 17:11 and search or research the Scriptures daily to see if what you are hearing or learning is what the Bible really teaches.
Take one subject or topic at a time in order to see the internal harmony among the many writers both within the old Hebrew and Christian Scriptures.
A comprehensive concordance gives corresponding cross-reference verses and parallel passages by subject.
A good 'Study Bible' will have such cross-reference verses dealing with where corresponding verses are located.
So, through prayer ( Luke 11:13 B ) the pages of Scripture ( Psalms 119:105 ) and good association ( Acts of the Apostles 8:30-35 ) we can come to an accurate knowledge of Scripture.

Last edited:

Daisies4me

The Plaut Commentary

9780807409954-us-300.jpg

(quote)
The most important of God's Names is the four-letter Name represented by the Hebrew letters Yod-Hei-Vav-Hei (YHVH). It is often referred to as the Ineffable Name, the Unutterable Name or the Distinctive Name.
The most widely accepted pronunciation of the Divine Name today, is Jehovah is English, and many other languages, as well.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
(quote)
The most important of God's Names is the four-letter Name represented by the Hebrew letters Yod-Hei-Vav-Hei (YHVH). It is often referred to as the Ineffable Name, the Unutterable Name or the Distinctive Name.
The most widely accepted pronunciation of the Divine Name today, is Jehovah is English, and many other languages, as well.
Most widely accepted by whom? Why?

I just love it when some Christians presume to teach Jews about Biblical Hebrew and Hebrew Scripture. It is both ignorant and disdainful.

Daisies4me

Most widely accepted by whom? Why?

I just love it when some Christians presume to teach Jews about Biblical Hebrew and Hebrew Scripture. It is both ignorant and disdainful.

(quote)

har har har And when Jews don't recognize information quoted verbatim from their own publications, it is really telling....
The last sentence is mine, but the rest is from Judaism 101.
Perhaps you aren't aware, but many former Jews are now JW's. oh, yes! Last count had 12 congregations in what is now the government and member of the United Nations, Israel. And that has been a while since I checked... former Jews don't know about the religion they were raised in, so you think?
JW's come out of all nations, tribes, tongues, and previous religious associations, and are in over 240 lands on earth-- with many Bible study aids published in 700 languages, complete Bibles in over 400 languages and counting.
Do not suppose that you or your associates, however educated you may feel yourself to be, are ahead of the benefits of being in harmony with Jehovah's Holy Spirit directing His earthly Organization that is doing His will today. Thata favor was taken away from the collective descendants of Jacob, and a 'new covenant' was made with 'spiritual Israel', who accepted Jesus as the Messiah sent forth by God. We may not be as 'smart' as you feel that you are, but Jehovah's Spirit is incomparable, and to whom He wants to, He gives it.
May you find peace ,

arthra

Baha'i
So, my question is, how does a person do bible studies? If it helps any, I'll be focusing on the Old Testament rather than the New Testament, at least for now.

I can only answer for myself here and from my experience one of the scholars I deeply admire is George Lamsa. He was an Aramaic speaking scholar who studied Syrian scrolls and offered I think very credible and provocative works..

You can explore them

George M. Lamsa, Demons, Devils, Satans, and Aramaic Idioms

There's also a book he wrote on the Old Testament:

Old Testament Light: George Lamsa: 9780060649258: Amazon.com: Books

omega2xx

That is an interesting comment. On what do you base it?

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter

First if you are going to share your experiences on the net you will need a thick skin. Since you are searching (for a religion) your faith is probably not developed and is fragile, but it is beautiful. That you are choosing to explore Christianity first is no accident! Usually Jesus/God finds you, not the other way around! Ok, so now you have your thick skin to deflect the 'usual suspects' who would rather ridicule all Christians more than they like to eat. They troll web sites and forums looking for Christians hoping to harm their faith for the simple reason is that they are evil. Maybe you could study about putting on the armor of God to repel those pests as your first bible study? Lol (oh no she is saying!) Anyway you can read about the armor of God several areas in your bible but begin with Ephesians 6:10-18. I would suggest you pick up a copy of the NIV bible. Its written in plain modern English and is translated from old English to the way we talk today. Its also designed to be a study bible. I have bought many bibles for people Ive met and the NIV is the favorite. If you do decide to go to a church make sure the preacher teaches from the bible. Cults abound.

God bless this forum ~

; { >

MrMrdevincamus

The first thing you need to do is pray and ask God you to understand it. Just reading is good and necessary, but take some time to mediated on what you read and don't understand.

You also need a good translation. IMO, it should be one that has foot notes and cross references. Don't be in a big hurray to finish what you have determined how much o read in a day. Understanding is better than reading and not understanding.

If you are going to church make sure it teaches all of the Bible is God's inspired word and true. Most churches like that the pastor will be glad to help you understand and will b e willing to offer a mature Christian to disciple you.

Also, there are many good solid conservative Christians in this forum. Ask us about any verse or passage, you don't understand. If you are going to go to church, also go to their Sunday school classes. I learned more in Sunday school than I ever learned from a sermon.

Starting in Genesis is not a bad Idea, but after that you need to be in the NT, preferably in the gospel of John.

If you decide that what I have said makes your Bible less than good for understanding, if you give me your mailing address, I will send you a good study Bible free and pay the postage.

Good luck.

Very good advice omega !

................................................................................................................................................

I noticed other members saying not to buy a translation like the NIV or good news for modern man etc. I used to feel the same way but have since changed my mind. Newbies who may have a difficult to impossible time understanding the KJV bible should get a translation so they can enjoy reading and understanding the bible. Even the KJV has minor translational issues but the core message comes on through. I'm speaking as an ordained minister and a life long, well, 22 year student of the bible and I can say confidently that the NIV is accurate and is the word of God.

Peace

omega2xx

First if you are going to share your experiences on the net you will need a thick skin. Since you are searching (for a religion) your faith is probably not developed and is fragile, but it is beautiful. That you are choosing to explore Christianity first is no accident! Usually Jesus/God finds you, not the other way around! Ok, so now you have your thick skin to deflect the 'usual suspects' who would rather ridicule all Christians more than they like to eat. They troll web sites and forums looking for Christians hoping to harm their faith for the simple reason is that they are evil. Maybe you could study about putting on the armor of God to repel those pests as your first bible study? Lol (oh no she is saying!) Anyway you can read about the armor of God several areas in your bible but begin with Ephesians 6:10-18. I would suggest you pick up a copy of the NIV bible. Its written in plain modern English and is translated from old English to the way we talk today. Its also designed to be a study bible. I have bought many bibles for people Ive met and the NIV is the favorite. If you do decide to go to a church make sure the preacher teaches from the bible. Cults abound.

God bless this forum ~

; { >

Most of your comments are right on. i disagree with using the NIV. Although it is very good, it is not the most accurate. They have given up some accuracy to make it easy reading. The latest NASB is just as easy to read and is much more accurate.

MrMrdevincamus

That statement is too general to be factual. Some Christians could teach some Jewish people about anything Hebrew in any capacity. And vica versa. In these internet forums Christians are always being lectured (attacked) about theology by an (truly) uneducated hater. The ignorant hater all kinds of things so they are super easy to ID. They will hate something that is different than what they believe. They are google scholars who have a superficial knowledge of what they smugly criticize.....ooops gotta go I feel a call of nature coming on...

MrMrdevincamus

Most of your comments are right on. i disagree with using the NIV. Although it is very good, it is not the most accurate. They have given up some accuracy to make it easy reading. The latest NASB is just as easy to read and is much more accurate.

Yes I agree with your assessment. I taught bible for older kids after church for a couple of years. I found that I was awful at teaching (lol) but the biggest problem in teaching bible was that the KJV was so hard to understand. Thanks for your reply~

omega2xx

Yes I agree with your assessment. I taught bible for older kids after church for a couple of years. I found that I was awful at teaching (lol) but the biggest problem in teaching bible was that the KJV was so hard to understand. Thanks for your reply~

I tried teaching teenagers. It was a disaster. Now I will only teach adults. No one, especially a seeker should have a KJ. It is hard to read and has some wrong words(kill instead of murder e.g.).

I have heard of primitive Baptist, but not primitive Christian. What is that exactly? I am going to assume it means "we are only going to use the Bible only for what we believe."