• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any tips for Bible Study?

Daisies4me

, member: 18084"]that works if you hear the Voice of God

let's go to debate and see if you do[/QUOTE]
(quote)
The Holy Scriptures are the Word of God. Like a letter received from the Almighty God, penned by those whom He Inspired by His Holy Spirit to put down on substances that humans could read from and know about Him and know what he requires of mankind in order for them to remain in the paradise earth for all eternity, as was the original intent when He created the earth.
It also tells us how that original paradise was lost, and how it will be regained.

Tumah

Veteran Member
(quote)
once more, I will share this information with you, and let it answer your statements about why you think the name of God is not important--the Bible itself tells us otherwise.
The Tetragrammaton and the Divine Name in the Hebrew Scriptures | NWT

Jehovah God himself directed Bible writers to use his name. For example, he inspired the prophet Joel to write: “Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” (Joel 2:32) And God caused one psalmist to write: “May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth.” (Psalm 83:18) In fact, the divine name appears some 700 times in the book of Psalms alone—a book of poetic writings that were to be sung and recited by God’s people. Why, then, is God’s name missing from many Bible translations? Why does this translation use the form “Jehovah”? And what does the divine name, Jehovah, mean?

Excerpts from the Psalms in a Dead Sea Scroll dated to the first half of the first century C.E. The text is in the style of the Hebrew letters commonly used after the Babylonian exile, but the Tetragrammaton appears repeatedly in distinctive ancient Hebrew letters.
Those who say that the divine name should not be used because it is not known exactly how to pronounce it will nevertheless freely use the name Jesus. However, Jesus’ first-century disciples said his name quite differently from the way most Christians do today. To Jewish Christians, the name Jesus was probably pronounced Ye·shuʹa‛. And the title “Christ” was Ma·shiʹach, or “Messiah.” Greek-speaking Christians called him I·e·sousʹ Khri·stosʹ, and Latin-speaking Christians Ieʹsus Chriʹstus. Under inspiration, the Greek translation of his name was recorded in the Bible, showing that first-century Christians followed the sensible course of using the form of the name common in their language. Similarly, the New World Bible Translation Committee feels that it is reasonable to use the form “Jehovah,” even though that rendering is not exactly the way the divine name would have been pronounced in ancient Hebrew.
I don't see an argument here. Early modern translators made a mistake to keep the original English spelling of Jesus (and other names) despite pronunciation changes and your translation committee decided to keep that mistake rolling for their transliteration. Its two mistakes instead of one.

Its nice that your translation committee thinks such a change is reasonable, but on what basis are they an authority for acceptable transliteration changes of G-d's Name? If not for JW's then at least to come to the forums to tell others what to call G-d?

Daisies4me

I don't see an argument here. Early modern translators made a mistake to keep the original English spelling of Jesus (and other names) despite pronunciation changes and your translation committee decided to keep that mistake rolling for their transliteration. Its two mistakes instead of one.

Its nice that your translation committee thinks such a change is reasonable, but on what basis are they an authority for acceptable transliteration changes of G-d's Name? If not for JW's then at least to come to the forums to tell others what to call G-d?
(quote)
since you are claiming the translation of the Divine Name to be 'a mistake',
Perhaps you may inquire of the plethora of Bible translators that have kept the Divine Name when translating their versions of the Bible.
Some translations use a form of "Jehovah" or "Yahweh" only sporadically:
The Complete Bible: An American Translation by John Merlin Powis Smith (1939), e.g. Exodus 3:15, 6:3, 17:15
  • Holman Christian Standard Bible (1999, 2002), the Tetragrammaton is transliterated "Yahweh" in 495 places in its 2010 revision. In Psalm 29:1, 2 Chron. 30:8, Isaiah 24:5, and Jeremiah 26:9 it translates the Tetragrammaton once as "Yahweh" and once as "LORD". In 2 Chronicles 14:11, it translates the Tetragrammaton three times as "Lord" and once as "Yahweh". In Job 1:21, it translates the Tetragrammaton twice as "Lord" and one as "Yahweh". In Psalm 135, it translates the Tetragrammaton 14 times as Yahweh and twice as "LORD".
  • The Emphatic Diaglott (1864), a translation of the New Testament by Benjamin Wilson, the name Jehovah appears eighteen times.
  • King James Version (1611), renders Jehovah in Exodus 6:3, Psalm 83:18, Isaiah 12:2, Isaiah 26:4, and three times in compound place names at Genesis 22:14, Exodus 17:15 and Judges 6:24.
  • Webster's Bible Translation (1833), by Noah Webster, a revision of the King James Bible, contains the form Jehovah in all cases where it appears in the original King James Version, as well as another seven times in Isaiah 51:21, Jeremiah 16:21; 23:6; 32:18; 33:16, Amos 5:8, and Micah 4:13.
  • The English Revised Version (1885), renders the Tetragrammaton as Jehovah where it appears in the King James Version, and another eight times in Exodus 6:2,6–8, Psalm 68:20, Isaiah 49:14, Jeremiah 16:21, and Habakkuk 3:19.
  • Amplified Bible (1954, 1987), generally uses Lord, but translates Exodus 6:3 as: "I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as God Almighty [El-Shaddai], but by My name the Lord [Yahweh—the redemptive name of God] I did not make Myself known to them [in acts and great miracles]."
  • New English Bible (NT 1961, OT 1970), published by Oxford University Press uses Jehovah in Exodus 3:15 and 6:3, and in four place names at Genesis 22:14, Exodus 17:15, Judges 6:24 and Ezekiel 48:35.
  • New Living Translation (1996, 2004), produced by Tyndale House Publishers as a successor to the Living Bible, generally uses LORD, but uses Yahweh in Exodus 3:15 and 6:3.
  • Bible In Basic English (1949, 1964), uses "Yahweh" eight times, including Exodus 6:2–3.
  • The American King James Version (1999) by Michael Engelbrite renders Jehovah in all the places where it appears in the original King James Version.
Perhaps the 'mistake' is your own? the following use the Divine Name in the Hebrew scriptures:

Daisies4me

(quote)
How is it okay for non-JW's , like yourself, to come to the forums to tell others what they can or cannot call God?

Tumah

Veteran Member
(quote)
since you are claiming the translation of the Divine Name to be 'a mistake',
Perhaps you may inquire of the plethora of Bible translators that have kept the Divine Name when translating their versions of the Bible.
Some translations use a form of "Jehovah" or "Yahweh" only sporadically:
The Complete Bible: An American Translation by John Merlin Powis Smith (1939), e.g. Exodus 3:15, 6:3, 17:15
  • Holman Christian Standard Bible (1999, 2002), the Tetragrammaton is transliterated "Yahweh" in 495 places in its 2010 revision. In Psalm 29:1, 2 Chron. 30:8, Isaiah 24:5, and Jeremiah 26:9 it translates the Tetragrammaton once as "Yahweh" and once as "LORD". In 2 Chronicles 14:11, it translates the Tetragrammaton three times as "Lord" and once as "Yahweh". In Job 1:21, it translates the Tetragrammaton twice as "Lord" and one as "Yahweh". In Psalm 135, it translates the Tetragrammaton 14 times as Yahweh and twice as "LORD".
  • The Emphatic Diaglott (1864), a translation of the New Testament by Benjamin Wilson, the name Jehovah appears eighteen times.
  • King James Version (1611), renders Jehovah in Exodus 6:3, Psalm 83:18, Isaiah 12:2, Isaiah 26:4, and three times in compound place names at Genesis 22:14, Exodus 17:15 and Judges 6:24.
  • Webster's Bible Translation (1833), by Noah Webster, a revision of the King James Bible, contains the form Jehovah in all cases where it appears in the original King James Version, as well as another seven times in Isaiah 51:21, Jeremiah 16:21; 23:6; 32:18; 33:16, Amos 5:8, and Micah 4:13.
  • The English Revised Version (1885), renders the Tetragrammaton as Jehovah where it appears in the King James Version, and another eight times in Exodus 6:2,6–8, Psalm 68:20, Isaiah 49:14, Jeremiah 16:21, and Habakkuk 3:19.
  • Amplified Bible (1954, 1987), generally uses Lord, but translates Exodus 6:3 as: "I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as God Almighty [El-Shaddai], but by My name the Lord [Yahweh—the redemptive name of God] I did not make Myself known to them [in acts and great miracles]."
  • New English Bible (NT 1961, OT 1970), published by Oxford University Press uses Jehovah in Exodus 3:15 and 6:3, and in four place names at Genesis 22:14, Exodus 17:15, Judges 6:24 and Ezekiel 48:35.
  • New Living Translation (1996, 2004), produced by Tyndale House Publishers as a successor to the Living Bible, generally uses LORD, but uses Yahweh in Exodus 3:15 and 6:3.
  • Bible In Basic English (1949, 1964), uses "Yahweh" eight times, including Exodus 6:2–3.
  • The American King James Version (1999) by Michael Engelbrite renders Jehovah in all the places where it appears in the original King James Version.
Perhaps the 'mistake' is your own? the following use the Divine Name in the Hebrew scriptures:
The mistakes of other translators are not evidence of the accuracy of yours.

Tumah

Veteran Member
(quote)
How is it okay for non-JW's , like yourself, to come to the forums to tell others what they can or cannot call God?
You can call your god whatever you like. But your entire argument for the selection of letters you chose to call it by, seems to be based on nothing more than the say-so of your translators. And so I'm arguing againt your reasoning.

Daisies4me

You can call your god whatever you like. But your entire argument for the selection of letters you chose to call it by, seems to be based on nothing more than the say-so of your translators. And so I'm arguing againt your reasoning.
(quote)

But your translators are better, How?

omega2xx

that works if you hear the Voice of God

let's go to debate and see if you do

It is not necessary to hear the audible voice of God, He speaks to us through His word. He can also press on our mind what to do or what not to do. That is what He does for missionaries. I doubt if any of the would say God spoke audibly to them.

I am here to debate,. Name a subject or verse.

Sammeleh

So, I just got finished purchasing myself a Bible of sorts that you can apparently color inside of. It's not that I have an affinity for defacing books or anything, but I figured that having colors in my bible might help me to concentrate better. And speaking of concentrating, I suppose it would be a good idea to start studying out of this $20 bible that I got. Otherwise, it would just be a big waste of money. So, my question is, how does a person do bible studies? If it helps any, I'll be focusing on the Old Testament rather than the New Testament, at least for now.
First of all, it is essential to pray for guidance. You may be surprised at the answer. Proverbs 4:7 - "The beginning of wisdom is: Acquire wisdom; And with all your acquiring, get understanding."

pearl

First of all, it is essential to pray for guidance. You may be surprised at the answer. Proverbs 4:7 - "The beginning of wisdom is: Acquire wisdom; And with all your acquiring, get understanding."

This is true of course, but I think there also needs to be preliminary investigation first. Getting familiar with the 'language' of the Bible, its different genres etc., which are used to convey the author's point.

Sammeleh

This is true of course, but I think there also needs to be preliminary investigation first. Getting familiar with the 'language' of the Bible, its different genres etc., which are used to convey the author's point.
Agreed that one would a proper teacher, or source of information. Since it is said to be the "word of God," we would reasonably have to appeal to God and look for the answer.

Sammeleh

, member: 18084"]that works if you hear the Voice of God

let's go to debate and see if you do
(quote)
The Holy Scriptures are the Word of God. Like a letter received from the Almighty God, penned by those whom He Inspired by His Holy Spirit to put down on substances that humans could read from and know about Him and know what he requires of mankind in order for them to remain in the paradise earth for all eternity, as was the original intent when He created the earth.
It also tells us how that original paradise was lost, and how it will be regained.[/QUOTE]
One needs to hear it from the proper source. That is the way God intended. Just as He did in the Garden of Eden. Mankind is mostly mixed up now because of conflicting and God-dishonoring ideas. This will not always be the case because Revelation explains how God will protect His people as well as take action so the heavens and earth will become a paradise. Look at 2 Peter 3 as it speaks of new heavens and new earth filled with righteousness.

Daisies4me

(quote)
Proverbs 4:7 "Wisdom is the prime thing. Acquire wisdom; and with all that you acquire, acquire understanding. "

"Wisdom is the most important thing, so acquire wisdom. And with all you acquire, acquire understanding"

either of these lends a better understanding of what is being said, imho...

Daisies4me

(quote)
It also tells us how that original paradise was lost, and how it will be regained.
(quote) needs to hear it from the proper source. That is the way God intended. Just as He did in the Garden of Eden. Mankind is mostly mixed up now because of conflicting and God-dishonoring ideas. This will not always be the case because Revelation explains how God will protect His people as well as take action so the heavens and earth will become a paradise. Look at 2 Peter 3 as it speaks of new heavens and new earth filled with righteousness.[/QUOTE]
(quote)

Jehovah God has always had a channel of communication with obedient mankind on earth. And always will.
We communicate with God in prayer thru the Mediator, Jesus Christ. He communicates with us thru the pages of the Bible, and His "little Flock" of anointed ones, the 'faithful and discreet slave' class who are guided by Holy Spirit, leading the work assigned today by God, at Matthew 24:13-14.. The Head. the Leader, of the Christian congregation is Jesus, the Prince of Peace and God's Anointed King, who leads 'His Brothers' in worship of the One He calls 'the ONLY True God', at John 17:3.

roger1440

I do stuff
(quote)
Could it be that they have 'awakened' spiritually enough to recognize the falsehoods and doctrines of men that caused the God of Israel to reject the collective descendants of Jacob,or Israel, the Pharisees , Sadducees, et.al., as His 'chosen' people, and have the Mosaic Law Covenant fulfilled by the death of his perfect Son, and then Mediated the "new Covenant, not written on stone tablets, but written on hearts", Spiritual Israel ?

Jeremiah 31:31-34.

Bible study is very beneficial for seeking truths about the Creator, God Almighty, who's Name is Jehovah.
Exodus 6:3 , Isaiah 12:2: 26:4
I don’t claim to be the brightest kid on the block. You may have to dumb it down a little for me to understand. This “New Covenant” can only be found in what it commonly called the “New Testament”. The “New Testament” is written on paper. You are implying this paper is superior to the “stone tablets”. How can this be?

Daisies4me

I don’t claim to be the brightest kid on the block. You may have to dumb it down a little for me to understand. This “New Covenant” can only be found in what it commonly called the “New Testament”. The “New Testament” is written on paper. You are implying this paper is superior to the “stone tablets”. How can this be?
(quote)
was it not stone tablets that Moses wrote the commands on, when God gave them to him up on the mountain? (in the Biblical account)

The New Covenant will be in the hearts of the people. By comparison.
Jeremiah 31:31 “Look! The days are coming,” declares Jehovah, “when I will make with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant.+ 32 It will not be like the covenant that I made with their forefathers on the day I took hold of their hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt,+ ‘my covenant that they broke,+ although I was their true master,’* declares Jehovah.”33 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares Jehovah. “I will put my law within them,+ and in their heart I will write it.+ And I will become their God, and they will become my people.”

The New Covenant is with 'spiritual Israel' that accepted Jesus as the Son of God and exercised faith in Him as God's Anointed One.

roger1440

I do stuff
(quote)
was it not stone tablets that Moses wrote the commands on, when God gave them to him up on the mountain? (in the Biblical account)

The New Covenant will be in the hearts of the people. By comparison.
Jeremiah 31:31 “Look! The days are coming,” declares Jehovah, “when I will make with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant.+ 32 It will not be like the covenant that I made with their forefathers on the day I took hold of their hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt,+ ‘my covenant that they broke,+ although I was their true master,’* declares Jehovah.”33 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares Jehovah. “I will put my law within them,+ and in their heart I will write it.+ And I will become their God, and they will become my people.”

The New Covenant is with 'spiritual Israel' that accepted Jesus as the Son of God and exercised faith in Him as God's Anointed One.
Are you saying the New Covenant replaces the Old Covenant?