• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antisemitism

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's because of the rise of far-right groups and immigration from the Middle East and North Africa. Surprised that no one answered the question yet.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's because of the rise of far-right groups and immigration from the Middle East and North Africa. Surprised that no one answered the question yet.

Ymir made the point that Muslim immigration into Europe might have something to do with it. I agree it probably does. Ironically, the rise of far right groups is often linked to Muslim immigration.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Ymir made the point that Muslim immigration into Europe might have something to do with it. I agree it probably does. Ironically, the rise of far right groups is often linked to Muslim immigration.

I didn't see his post. Yeah, that plays a big part in it. The recent immigrants from those areas don't tend to like Jews and Christians too much. We have a huge population of North African Muslims here so I know that from experience.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I didn't see his post. Yeah, that plays a big part in it. The recent immigrants from those areas don't tend to like Jews and Christians too much. We have a huge population of North African Muslims here so I know that from experience.

Compounding the problem in Europe, I think, is that European nations are generally (relative to the US) slower at assimilating immigrants.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
They formulated the word 'anti-semitism' with the understanding that anti-Semitism is often just that, not specifically anti-Judaism or anti-Zionism. They actually had a real world understanding of the prejudice.
That being said it does cover anti-Judaism, however we are traveling into the world of speculation if one assumes anti-Zionism is somehow necessarily anti-Jewish.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Compounding the problem in Europe, I think, is that European nations are generally (relative to the US) slower at assimilating immigrants.

I think that's because European countries are not nations of immigrants like America is. European countries have their own native people and cultures and traditions that go back for thousands of years. Whereas, in America, we mostly wiped out the natives and created an entirely new culture that is not dependent on shared ethnicity. It's like they're using Europe as some sort of experiment and it's not working.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

This is, generally speaking, quite true. I even encountered this myself when we were staying with my wife's relatives in Italy, whereas they had a hard time wrapping their head around the idea that my Italian-born Catholic wife would be married to a practicing Jew. Blew their mind. However, we got along very well, and we still converse back and forth via Facebook.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I wonder is some of it down to us moving away in time from the Holocaust?
There is a horrible history of antisemitism in Europe and perhaps people are becoming less guarded.

metis

I wonder is some of it down to us moving away in time from the Holocaust?
There is a horrible history of antisemitism in Europe and perhaps people are becoming less guarded.

I tend to think that you might be right on this, but I also theorize that there may be some other factors as well, including the economic troubles in Europe.

metis

Fixed that for you.

Well, with many of the countries there, and also here in the States, the economic problems are far from being fixed. Without Germany's help, Europe may well have slipped back into an economic stone age.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Without Germany's help, Europe may well have slipped back into an economic stone age.

Without the rest of Europe Germany would not have the advantage it enjoys of an undervalued currency.
The cheap credit flowing from German banks played a large part in the economic collapse.
Germany is not helping anyone apart from Germany. I resent the transition from European Union to German domination.

metis

Without the rest of Europe Germany would not have the advantage it enjoys of an undervalued currency.
The cheap credit flowing from German banks played a large part in the economic collapse.
Germany is not helping anyone apart from Germany. I resent the transition from European Union to German domination.

Yes, I understand what your saying and feeling, but if Germany had not propped up some of the countries there, especially Greece and Portugal, there could have been a rolling economic catastrophe much like what we saw happen here in 2008. Defaults have consequences, and in today's day and age, a collapse in one country can easily spread towards others.

Flankerl

Because as we all know Germany was not a country with its focus on export before the introduction of the Euro.

Also seriously no one is forcing anyone to buy German goods. Everyone is perfectly free to buy French, British, Spanish, Italian... machines. Oh what? Those dont exist anymore because everyone jumped onto the Services train?

Well that wasnt a good idea.

CMike

But that doesn't explain why antisemitism is on the rise in Europe, does it? I mean, people aren't becoming antisemitic simply because a bunch of politicians have overused a word, are they?

What's the difference?

The Jews need to get the hell out of that cesspool and move to Israe.

CMike

They formulated the word 'anti-semitism' with the understanding that anti-Semitism is often just that, not specifically anti-Judaism or anti-Zionism. They actually had a real world understanding of the prejudice.
That being said it does cover anti-Judaism, however we are traveling into the world of speculation if one assumes anti-Zionism is somehow necessarily anti-Jewish.

It's the same thing.

It's more acceptable for antisemites to say they are anti Zionist.

Israel is part of almost every Jewish prayer. You can't seperate the two.

CMike

The main problem is far left organizations.